Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times

Advertisements

........"Oh, how age & "intensity-of desire" change in us "as we mellow-out"......

Here I sit at my lap-top.....looking out the east window of my den..............at a fully adult Tom Turkey, with an (8) inch Beard, about 50 feet off from the corner of my house................................

My License is in my wallet......my shotgun is propped up next to my desk loaded with (3) #2 Magnums.......the screen was taken out of the window a few days ago.........and here I sit:...."just lookin' at that "Big Boy".........................DAMN,.....I"M A SOFTIE!!

This is certainly not the first time I've had Turkeys up close to the house.

This is-the-first-time I've bothered to buy a license and consider how "neat" it would look to have that beautiful set of tail feathers mounted on an appropriate plaque along with that (8) inch Beard and displayed on my living room fireplace wall..............

I first saw this "Tom" just about 2 weeks ago (before the season opened on the 14th)......right up here by the house....and figured I'd "nail him" first chance I'd get after season opening........................since I'll begin my 81st year next week,....I figured:...."how many more opportunities" will I get?....

Well, here I sit......................."just watching that Big Boy flare out those tail feathers".................................yeah,... ..I guess I'm just "an old softie"................................................... .................................................. ..............................., but ya know:...."I feel pretty-good" about my decision too"..................just don't go an tell anybody 'bout 'ole Griz "gettin-soft".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Griz, there is a living in the moment message there...

Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Not getting soft Griz, The mark of a true hunter is the fact that they love and respect the animals they hunt.
They take only specific animals they want, not just because of opportunity, but because that is the right one for them.

Several years ago I was hunting and it was getting late in the year with nothing in the freezer.
I was in a ground blind near a river. A small 2 point whitetail buck came racing out of the underbrush and stopped broadside to me at less than 20 yards.

He was completely exhausted, his chest heaving, tongue extended, looked like he had been run for miles and miles.

I could have hit him with a rock, but you know what? It wasn't fair as far as I was concerned because he was so tired his defenses were completely down, plus the meat would have probably been strong, but I let him go. I figured if it was meant to be, we would meet again on more equal footing.

I don't have to kill to enjoy hunting, but I do hunt and kill because I am a human and we eat meat.
I just figure if I take an animal in fair chase, the ju-ju is better.

My father has a lot of deer and antelope hanging around his porch, but we don't shoot them because like he says, "That isn't hunting, it's just revenge for the flowers".

Good on you Griz

(Now go get a turkey dinner!! )

Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
A great story...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
........"Oh, how age & "intensity-of desire" change in us "as we mellow-out"......

Here I sit at my lap-top.....looking out the east window of my den..............at a fully adult Tom Turkey, with an (8) inch Beard, about 50 feet off from the corner of my house................................

My License is in my wallet......my shotgun is propped up next to my desk loaded with (3) #2 Magnums.......the screen was taken out of the window a few days ago.........and here I sit:...."just lookin' at that "Big Boy".........................DAMN,.....I"M A SOFTIE!!

This is certainly not the first time I've had Turkeys up close to the house.

This is-the-first-time I've bothered to buy a license and consider how "neat" it would look to have that beautiful set of tail feathers mounted on an appropriate plaque along with that (8) inch Beard and displayed on my living room fireplace wall..............

I first saw this "Tom" just about 2 weeks ago (before the season opened on the 14th)......right up here by the house....and figured I'd "nail him" first chance I'd get after season opening........................since I'll begin my 81st year next week,....I figured:...."how many more opportunities" will I get?....

Well, here I sit......................."just watching that Big Boy flare out those tail feathers".................................yeah,... ..I guess I'm just "an old softie"................................................... .................................................. ..............................., but ya know:...."I feel pretty-good" about my decision too"..................just don't go an tell anybody 'bout 'ole Griz "gettin-soft".
If you're worried about being soft tell yourself the meat will be tough. Then you won't regret it.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Sometimes you just gotta say, "Your fine for now Mr Turkey, but your time is limited."

Shooting from the porch. When I lived in Sheridan, they had a deer problem and the answer was to set up hunt area's in town. One of the hunt areas was at my place. I had deer in the yard almost every night. Having had a major surgery the month before season, I wasn't going to make it up on the mountain. The hunt areas in town were restricted to bow only. So I sat out on the porch with my 160lg crossbow and waited. About an hour before sundown I got me a good sized muley doe. Next night I filled a second tag.

My daughter had hunted several days up on the mountain with no luck. One day she called me and said, "Dad, I got a 5 point muley." I said, "Really, where'd you get him at?" She said, "Let me put it this way. I shot him and then went back in the house to put my boots on so I could go drag him up to the house." She lives 14 miles out of town and in her particular area, you'll see deer along the creek but seldom up on the hill by her house. She said that you could count on one hand the number of deer she has seen on the property (38 acres). This one just happened to wander up there.

Edit - years ago, I lived in South Dakota and turkey season and deer season run hand in hand. So if you were out deer hunting and happened to see a turkey, you bagged it. Trouble is, you don't sneak around the Black Hills with two guns. So, in my case, I had to be very careful with my 8mm to not spoil any meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana