Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM

495 posts, read 493,641 times

Advertisements

tolearn wrote:
Quote:
Take it easy
Not what sure you mean by that ? ..........

No one ever got anything worth having by 'taking it easy'......

Actually my previous response, I thought expressed my 'take it easy' approach to life.....in that if someone doesn't like my 'face' - well than so what - no need for me to get excited, I think if a lot of minority groups took that attitude they'd all be a lot better off.
A young person recently told me........"when someone keeps telling you and getting in your face that you have to like them and you have to give them this and give them that, all that does is create antimosity in the reciprient of that message"........I couldn't agree more, and as one of my best friends (an african-american) put it once to me....."if you want respect you gotta' give respect"..............once again I couldn't agree more.
I don't have to like anybody, that's my freedom, that's human nature - but what I have to do is treat them with as much respect as they deserve. We need to get over this silly politicaly correct notion that we have to like everyone - we don't - we just have to respect everyone. In esscence be fair and polite to those who deserve it on a personal level not because of what they look like, meaing I don't owe anyone anything because they are a minority, and nobody owes me anything - once again just mutual respect.
less anything I have any racist overtones in my speech - some of my best friends have been minorities, and one of my best friends for years is a minority........and you know I never even think of it that way until it comes up in a conversation like this one. AMERICA NEEDS TO GET OVER THIS RACE THING AND MOVE ONE ALREADY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 PM

152 posts, read 628,143 times
Default civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post

I don't have to like anybody, that's my freedom, that's human nature - but what I have to do is treat them with as much respect as they deserve. We need to get over this silly politicaly correct notion that we have to like everyone - we don't - we just have to respect everyone. In esscence be fair and polite to those who deserve it on a personal level not because of what they look like, meaing I don't owe anyone anything because they are a minority, and nobody owes me anything - once again just mutual respect.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. And I don't care for the "PC" thing or revisionism when it comes to history. My dad was a fair-minded man, the parliamentarian of many fraternal groups....could quote Robert's Rules of Order in his sleep.

The one thing I learned from him that I try to live up to: You don't have to be friends with someone to be civil.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,911 times
Default 'stuff' happens...

This is in response to someone who said they thought Montana had "hateful" people. I agree so much with the Georgian's reply.
Sometimes, things happen that aren't so good. I've lived here since I was just six years old (I'm now 42) and in that time, I've met some people that weren't so nice. That really pales in comparison to the many people I have met in my life that are wonderful. I've been to other cities from the west coast to the east coast and I am so very partial to Billings, Montana. Yes, I grew up here...but I honestly must say that people here are on the most part, very kind.
I live in the downtown district and I have the most wonderful neighbors. I just couldn't trade them. I love my youngest child's school, McKinley, and I love my other child's school, Senior. I even know a lot of their staff...all very good teachers (even thought I am a West graduate, Go Bears! ).
There are some cool things that seem unique to Montana. For instance, you can't shop alone. You may be by yourself, but there is always someone who will chat a little. It kind of makes me laugh that my husband hates it when someone wants to chat in the grocery check out line. I don't mind it at all...but he is from the east coast. (haha, I'm just having fun at his expense, east coasters aren't bad...just not as outgoing as Montanans, I guess) I am not the sort to strike up conversation with strangers, but I am receptive to those who are. It would help, if you were to live here, to also be receptive to friendly people.

Anyway, if you are driving on a dirt road, Montana ettiquette is to lift your hand. You don't have to wave it, just lift it. It's just polite. I like our state.
I particularly love to go to Red Lodge for a day. Other cities are just as beautiful...one of my other faves is Bozeman, I've yet to meet anyone unkind on my visits. That doesn't mean that meanies don't live there, that stuff happens. But on the whole, you won't be living in a town of grouches.
Sorry if you had some run ins with someone who was unkind. Don't let it prejudice you. Life has too much to offer in pretty much any state.
Sincerely
MTraised

Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 41,659 times
[quote=MTraised;1926076]This is in response to someone who said they thought Montana had "hateful" people. .....
Anyway, if you are driving on a dirt road, Montana ettiquette is to lift your hand. You don't have to wave it, just lift it. It's just polite.

I was wondering if that also applies to paved roads. I have often lifted my hand or even waved while driving on two-lane roads or dirt roads and have received many "waves" back although there are the occasional people who just look at you like you don't exist. I admit to remarking under my breath (in the privacy of my truck) "how rude" and "just be that way". I personally like the feeling of being acknowledged on the road especially it makes the area seem more friendly. Unfortunately in the city where I live right now the gesture is not practiced and seems to be frowned upon. Oh well, I'll just keep keep up with the tradition and maybe it'll catch on again here. I won't hold my breath but there is alwys hope. Maybe if everyone (yes, even those from big towns/cities and out of state) would practice this small gesture (not the middle finger alone of course-lol) than maybe we could keep a Montana tradition alive along with making the roads here the friendly places they were years gone by.
I know this isn't the road but here's a hand lift for all of you.
"Howdy"
Do I here a second on that motion??LOL

Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times
Not everyone sees who is in the car waving to them. Some of us have blinders on and aer just watching the road in front of them. I know; I am one of those people.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,382,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTraised View Post
Anyway, if you are driving on a dirt road, Montana ettiquette is to lift your hand. You don't have to wave it, just lift it. It's just polite. I like our state.
I really enjoyed this Montana custom. I also encountered it when I lived in Nebraska. It just cheered me up for someone to acknowledge we were sharing the road. I also like the "company". It is nice to feel some human connection when I have driven miles and miles of gravel road alone. There are a lot of reasons why people want to move to Montana (scenery, peace & quiet, etc). But right at the top of the list are the people. At least that's been my experience with people in the Mission Valley area.

PS We don't follow the custom of waving in California. Too many people drop their curling iron, cell phone, make-up mirror, bottled water, gameboy.........

Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I really enjoyed this Montana custom. I also encountered it when I lived in Nebraska. It just cheered me up for someone to acknowledge we were sharing the road. I also like the "company". It is nice to feel some human connection when I have driven miles and miles of gravel road alone. There are a lot of reasons why people want to move to Montana (scenery, peace & quiet, etc). But right at the top of the list are the people. At least that's been my experience with people in the Mission Valley area.

PS We don't follow the custom of waving in California. Too many people drop their curling iron, cell phone, make-up mirror, bottled water, gameboy.........
When I was living there I got waved at all the time... made me think I needed glasses since I could only make out one finger on the hand waving!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:45 PM

495 posts, read 493,641 times
I never realized it until you folks brought it up, but yup I guess that is a Montana thing - waving hi on the back dirt roads. Even if they are going 60mph down a 10mph road

Old 11-08-2007, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times
When I lived in Creston, CA, a small town outside of Paso Robles, near San Luis Obispo people did wave at you when they recognized your car. It is a small town thing. I just don't happen to see people waving, but my husband does.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,852 times
Red face rudeness everywhere,but little in Mt

I lived in Mt off and on for yrs.My husband stripes highways and we've been a newcomer to many towns,cities and states.My husband is taking a pay cut to be able to raise our kids there.Some parts of quality of living you cant buy.People are rude sometimes,unfortunately they are also usually loud.Step back and watch.I found people patient with kids,helpful in a jam but mostly a live and let live attitude.Leave your drama wherever your at.People work hard,play hard but the mountain out of a molehill stuff doesnt float there.They take care of themselves and expect you to do the same.Even the city is filled with people from small towns,They want to know their neighbors.Dont be pushy or overbearing,its a different slower way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana