Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM

43 posts, read 69,738 times

Advertisements

Thanks, volosong.

We most likely have less freedom than you do and I think bureaucracy is somewhat a religion to our politicians....
After next elections, the taxation on driving by mileage could be realism and there are several other issues that make to wonder whether rumours of EU wanting to make Finland a nature reserve/nuclear waste storing area true... Living in rural areas is getting harder by the day and just yesterday there was a news that according to calculations, we'll lose 10 000 farms in next 10 years since the farmers are getting old and no younger folk are willing to continue on farms.

I'm not worried on local politics, they we can handle on our own, but being in the threat zone with irritated big neighbor is unnerving. We couldn't last for a week if Russia would come to knocking on the door. It would take just few days without electricity and our goverment would be already kissing invaders boots just to get a spark. (Our defence minister hasn't even been in the army....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiinaP View Post
To be honest, since I have the panic disorder I have already considered all scenarios in my mind and how to response to them. If say, Russia would declare war, I would pack my family and get the hell out of here, maybe first to Sweden over land and from there to States.
The U.S. has something that's exceedingly rare in the world today -- a lack of potentially hostile neighbors. Yeah, the Mexican border leaks people and gang wars, but it hasn't leaked a fullscale army in over 100 years (and we beat the crap out of 'em last time they tried it). The Canadian border, tho -- the standing joke is that Canada is the 51st state, they're our best friend in the world, and it's been 200 years since there were serious hostilities from that direction (and even then it wasn't truly Canada's doing).

Conversely pretty much all of Africa, chunks of eastern Europe, most of the Middle East, and large swaths of Asia have seen armies tramp back and forth at least once a generaion for all of recorded history, right up to the present.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiinaP View Post
After next elections, the taxation on driving by mileage could be realism
This concept has come up in the U.S. as well (mostly in Oregon, that bastion of hippie politics, where the fine for littering is $6,250). As cars become more efficient and less gas is used per mile of travel, gas tax revenues have dropped, and the notion is to make up the difference.

The big problem is that there's no way to really do that without a GPS in every car that reports your whereabouts at all times -- because just total miles driven won't cut it when you might drive across several states with different tax rates. In short, it makes a wonderful surveillance tool which most people would have no practical way to escape and still maintain their independent mobility -- and perhaps more critical, our right of freedom of assembly: If you knew that anyone who could be shown to have attended some meeting was likely to be arrested, would you go near the place?

Last edited by Reziac; 09-02-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Good thing I didn't choose Oregon as a pkace to move

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM

When I went back and forth across Oregon several times, I was always tempted to litter, just because. Since a typical fine for assault is $1000, goes to show their priorities.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Yep, we have similar issues here. Poaching is a greater crime than manslaughter and so is embezzlement. Thanks to the "flowerhat-ladies" as we call those who pamper the criminals... In here, you can't defend yourself or your property without fear of prosecution, be it a man or beast that's being a treath.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Hmmm... Are there lot's of stables in Montana? How about dairy or other kinds of farms? And how keen would owners be in taking an immigrant worker? (as in getting working visa -> green card -> citizenship?)

Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Yep, some stables and quite a few dairies -- I suspect "good worker" is more to the point. I know the potato farms use harvest crews that only speak Spanish, so doesn't look like there's much against immigrants.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:10 AM

There was a dream-job opening in Minnesota, they wanted a couple to tend livestock and turkey and the other had to be a horse person. With salary and a house on top.... It looked like it was created only for us... I'm a professional groom and my husband a professional farmer...

Something like that would be a dream come true. Especially now, since it seems that it's not going to be profitable to keep this farm... Living expenses and all the stuff needed is pricier that what we get from selling the crops and trough those financial aids our country and EU are giving us...

Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Oh darn... Started to look more deeply in this employment based immigration.... With my or my husband's skill we can't immigrate since the category was shut down in 2011 for most of the countries... Then I checked the temporary work visa option and found out that my country does not qualify for temporary agricultural work. (Which I assume stable work falls into). Now I'm not happy at all... My hopes seem to crumble away. Apparently only way would be to start studying in an university in the US, but we can't afford it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana