Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

I sent a letter to Hon. Max Baucus demanding he start doing something along with the rest of the government to reduce fuel prices. I suggested they allow building of more refineries, drill for more oil and get oil from Iraq. I also requested they stop this stupid ethenol program before we run totally out of food or it's priced too high for anyone to buy.

Below is the response, you can decide what he thinks...

Dear xxx,
Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about options for lowering fuel costs. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

As you may know, there is no easy solution to the rising fuel costs. Oil prices are set by an international market that is affected by a number of factors including demand, increased consumption, and possible supply disruptions by natural disasters or violence. The United States' current dependence on this international market places us in a vulnerable position.

To become more energy independent, we must consider a number of options. First, expanding domestic oil production in appropriate areas will provide some level of independence. Lease Area 181 off the eastern Gulf of Mexico is known to contain about 6 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. I have repeatedly voted in support of drilling for oil off the Gulf Coast. Domestic oil production can be effectively and environmentally achieved.

However, drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is not the answer to our current energy shortages. ANWR is a pristine environment, home to porcupine caribou, musk oxen, and subsistence hunting and fishing that should be protected from oil and gas development, and preserved for future generations. Montana is an outdoor state, and we understand the importance of passing clean water and unspoiled landscapes to our children and grandchildren. Drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge will have a number of effects - none of them drastically reducing the price of oil at the pump. The Energy Department has reported that drilling for oil in ANWR would lower oil prices by less than 2 cents per gallon of gas.

Decreasing our reliance on oil by increasing fuel economy and using cellulosic ethanol could effectively have a larger daily oil savings than drilling for oil in ANWR. Montana has a wealth of energy sources available to increase its alternative and renewable energy production. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 includes a number of provisions to promote energy efficiency, set federal green building standards, and create carbon capture and sequestration research and development programs. This bill also includes important CAFE provisions to increase the efficiency of cars and trucks, and promote the use of biofuels. An increase in car efficiency and biofuel use will drive down gas prices, decrease CO2 emissions and decrease dependence on foreign oil.

In addition, I recently voted in support of halting stores to Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The SPR has a capacity for 727 million barrels of oil, and currently holds more than 700 million. The SPR has released oil just twice to prevent major disruptions in oil supplies, once in 1991 at the outset of the first Gulf War and again in September 2005, after Hurricane Katrina. With fuel prices at all time highs and supplies at all time lows, the government should not be stocking up for an emergency. Releasing oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve would increase the supply, and reduce the price of oil. While this will not solve the energy problems, it is a step in the right direction.

As Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, I am also working to get rid of tax breaks for the country's major oil companies, and repealing the manufacturing deductions that are provided to them. These companies should not be getting tax breaks while Montana's energy prices soar. In Montana, we rely on our transportation more than in other areas of the country. Thus, the impact of these rapid price increases are felt even more closely.

Rest assured that I will continue to do all I can to lower gas prices. And, please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns. I always enjoy hearing from folks back home.

With best personal regards, I am

Senator Max Baucus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:56 PM

163 posts, read 584,747 times
Sounds like textbook Democrat talking points.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM

305 posts, read 869,706 times
Funny, I got the EXACT same email... Really, it was what I expected anyway...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
I've seen that letter before as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Translation: The bribes associated with allowing drilling in ANWR are not yet sufficient. However, oilmen in other areas have already paid off the unions and lobbyists, so we're willing to let them drill.

(Nah, I'm not the least bit cynical, why do you ask??

Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 PM

102 posts, read 271,915 times
JIMJ thank you for your letter and for sharing the senator's response. I agree with the other comments, genuine Democrat talking points gibberish. I guess we'll all need to put on another sweater. If these people were our pioneer ancestors they'd wait until they were thirsty to drill a well.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,476 times
I am proud to agree with Max's letter. I'd rather have him type up issue letters than spend all of his time responding to the thousands of letters he gets. Good job, Max. We have the technology for other fuels.

If you're not worried about ANWR, let's just start drilling gas wells all up and down the Rocky Mountain Front, too. Heating prices are going sky high, and it would be nice to have a supply of gas nearby. Or, why is it okay in Alaska but not in Montana? Just some food for thought...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM

163 posts, read 584,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I am proud to agree with Max's letter. I'd rather have him type up issue letters than spend all of his time responding to the thousands of letters he gets. Good job, Max. We have the technology for other fuels.

If you're not worried about ANWR, let's just start drilling gas wells all up and down the Rocky Mountain Front, too. Heating prices are going sky high, and it would be nice to have a supply of gas nearby. Or, why is it okay in Alaska but not in Montana? Just some food for thought...
Just maybe there is no gas or oil along the Rocky Mtn front. In case you are wondering they are drilling like crazy where there is gas or oil in the Bakken oil field of Eastern MT.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 PM

102 posts, read 271,915 times
Someone needs to challenge this "other fuels' talk. What exactly does it mean? Ethanol? I think a close examination of that would be an eye opener on many levels. Windpower? it takes 25 years to creat the power it takes to create and maintain a windmill (i.e., breakeven point is 25 years). Solar? Ever considered the solar panels required to run a GM plant?

I know they can't mean solar, after all they've all seen the China Syndrome, even had jane Fonda testify gravelly before congress on nukes lol. Leaving aside we have 100's, if not thousands of nuke in our navy that have run for 50 years without an incident.

Like I said before, get an extra sweater, it's the great Jimmy Carter malaise part 2.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 AM

305 posts, read 869,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post

You support drilling off the Gulf Coast as our distinguished Senator does but not in ANWR? What about all the fishes that might be harmed???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana