Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM

71 posts, read 305,979 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Kalispell We breed English Mastiffs and American Bulldogs. We live in Texas and the fleas are HORRIBLE Are there a lot if any fleas in Montana. Also are there any rules/regulations on dogs/kennels in or around Kalispell. We are a very small kennel only two to three litters a year. Would be very greatful for any information. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
You wont have fleas here unless they come here with the dogs. They can't live here on their own in the grass or dirt like in southern areas. I have heard they exist in animal dens like gophers and such but I know my dog has never had a flea in her life. What are rules anyway ? ! I don't think we have any laws or rules here either, at least a LOT of people here don't think we have any rules ! Just joking but it's easy to find out about regulations, just email the town and the county and they will be happy to tell you. If you are in town there will be a requirement for shots and dog tags and maybe a restriction on the number of animals you can keep. In my town they impose a limit of three pets per house. Not enforced of coarse !

Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
I agree and was delighted to find no fleas on my dogs either since my move to Montana, I have heard to watch for ticks but that is common sense. I still am using up my advantage but I think it is a waste of money. Be careful of frostbite on your dogs, long things tend to snap off at 30 below

Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Thank ya'll for the info. Do you know if you live out of the city limits if there is still a restriction on the number of dogs you own. We own 10 large and giant breed dogs.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,889 times
Something to be aware of: Since we don't have a lot of dog rules, you gotta be really careful that your dogs don't bother you neighbors (primarily by chasing wildlife). Animals that have been known to habitually misbehave have been shot on site.

I'm not saying this to be negative, but it's something to think about. The rules aren't what is important. What is important is that you raise your animals in a way that is compatible with your neighborhood and you'll be fine.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I had a neighbor who had let his dog get into the neighboring horse boarding pasture and when he went to get the dog the horses surrounded him and one bit the crap out of the guys shoulder !

Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM

We live out in the country here in Texas and people will do the same thing. Shoot a dog no matter what it's doing. Our dogs are our babies, we never let them out to roam free. Here we have them in a 6 or 7ft game proof fence and same when we get to move up there. They are also inside most of the time so I would say we would not bother anyone. That's great, thank ya'll again for the help.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Fox holes are notorious for fleas and dogs just love to dig up a good fox hole (been there). Other than that, I have had no problem with fleas. As far as dog ordinances go, each town adopts their own ordinances. Yes, dogs do get shot for chasing wildlife. They get shot for chasing cattle/horses too. Kind of ironic that it is legal to shoot the neighbors dog or coyotes for chasing your cattle but if a wolf kills and eats your cattle and you try to protect your investment, you will find yourself in federal court.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
My neighbor who is a serious animal lover says that she'd never shoot a dog for chasing her horses (her kids she says) rather she'd shoot the owners. Her opinion is why shoot a dog for being a dog? It's no different that a kid runing loose, it's the parents/owners fault not the dogs.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 38,351 times
Unfortunately, it's illegal to shoot the owners. I had an acquaintance who had to put a horse down after dogs chased it through a fence. I think most people would rather shoot an unruly dog before it gets to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana