Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM

271 posts, read 460,493 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this topic has been visited before...but just wondering, what kind of pistol or rifle is recommended for protection of person and property? I've never really had reason to have either before, but I'd like to get one or both before they're outlawed. I've also been looking at taking classes through the NRA on how to handle these since I have limited experience and nobody to teach me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
My apologies if this topic has been visited before...but just wondering, what kind of pistol or rifle is recommended for protection of person and property? I've never really had reason to have either before, but I'd like to get one or both before they're outlawed. I've also been looking at taking classes through the NRA on how to handle these since I have limited experience and nobody to teach me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I just have a cheap old 22 cal semi-automatic pistol., an old Llama Especial made in Spain . If guns were ever outlawed (and that is not going to happen as long as I'm alive) I think you could still find one with no problem. If a law violates the constitution I have no respect for that particular law.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 PM

989 posts, read 3,527,735 times
Quote:
Given your name (Snowdreamer), I will assume you are a lady-- or at least a man who wears eyeliner, either way, the following advice will apply. Get a .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel.

I'd go with the .38 because the recoil (how hard it kicks you) is very light, and when you want more powerful ammunition you can use the .357 magnum in the same gun. The .357 mag is a very powerful round and effective on man or beast. The .38/.357 revolver is a great combination.

I recommend you go with a revolver over an automatic because the revolver is very simple. An auto in the hands of a well practiced and experienced shooter has some advantages, but for your purpose the revolver will be more simple and easier to learn.
I've taught handgun proficiency classes at all levels and won several shooting competitions, I still like to carry a revolver. My main carry gun is a .45 auto but I never feel under-gunned when I have my trusty .357 on my hip.

I work up in Alaska, up there I carry a large revolver, but down here in Montana your biggest threat on four legs is a mountain lion or a small to medium bear. If you place your shots, the .357 will even stop a bear.

The main thing is to go to that training and learn from a qualified shooter. Then practice practice practice. The practice is very enjoyable. Go out in the woods and shoot up lots of ammunition (.38 ammo, the .357 will scare you until you are more confident).
I LOVE going out shooting, its very relaxing. Go alone once you know your basic skills. This will allow you to take your time and shoot. Take a lawn chair and enjoy it. Don't just practice shooting either, practice getting that gun out and getting on target quickly, practice reloading the gun under stress, practice at moving targets (roll a tire or ball).

For a holster get a good quality leather holster, not nylon. The thumbreak holsters are best.

If you buy the gun shoot it a few times and leave it under your bed, it will give you very little enjoyment or protection. If you make it a habit of shooting it regularly and maintaining your handling skills, it will truly be an enjoyment and tool for protection.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys for the advice...
LOL AQHA....yep, I'm a lady, and don't wear no eyeliner either!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM

989 posts, read 3,527,735 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice...
LOL AQHA....yep, I'm a lady, and don't wear no eyeliner either!
lol, hey there's nothing wrong with eyeliner on ladies, in fact I encourage it.

One more thing I should have mentioned to you earlier. When you go to the gun counter to talk about getting a gun, be very careful what you believe from the counter boy, AKA "local firearms expert." In days of ol' these guys might have known what they were taking about, in modern times that is not the case. These guys pretend to know what they are saying but few do. Do your homework BEFORE you go.

Listen to me and you'll be just fine, I'm the basically the god of all knowledge, when god has a question, he calls me.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM

More good advice- Thanks!
Oh, and your last comment reminded me of my email signature: "Prayer is the best way to meet God. Trespassing is faster."

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
My grandfather taught me to shoot straight, clean guns and site in the sights and scopes as well as gun safety when he gave me my first gun (a 22/410 over-under). I was twelve years old and it was the same year I learned to drive a cars and his old WW II Willy's Jeep, (I practiced in the graveyard in Genoa Nevada).
I also made a deer skin shirt that same year out of some chrome tanned deer skins he had laying around. I loved my "Dadaw" and he trusted me with no ask access to his huge gun collection. He even had a few old revolvers with "notches" on them !

Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,767,593 times
Quote:

Don't think anyone plans on outlawing guns anytime soon. Just my 2 cents but the idea of guns providing protection is kind of backwards. Protection from what? The incidence of random violent crimes are so small its crazy. On the other hand you have the chance of accidents using a gun or children getting ahold of it. Again just my 2 cents and not at all saying you should not be allowed to own a gun just voicing a personal opinion about safety.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post

I'd go with the .38 because the recoil (how hard it kicks you) is very light, and when you want more powerful ammunition you can use the .357 magnum in the same gun. The .357 mag is a very powerful round and effective on man or beast. The .38/.357 revolver is a great combination.
Being a "detail-oriented" 'ole fogey and a firearms "nut" for about 67 of my 77 years, I'd like to suggest a slight change in the advice given above.

(By the way AQHA, all other aspects of your post are "right-on-target")

[i]In order to be able to fire .357 Mag ammo, you have to have a revolver chambered for .357 ammo. Then....you can fire .38 special ammo in it (if you want to) for a round that is less powerful and have less recoil than the .357 Mag.

In other words: you can fire .38 spec in a .357 Mag....but you cannot fire .357 ammo in a .38 Special.....it won't fit in the chamber.

For security (while traveling - like going into an Interstate Rest Area rest room), I carry a snub nose, .38 spec., 5- shot S.S. S&W. It fits easily into a pocket & is not noticeable. When fishing up in Alaska for salmon (like on the "Little Susitna", I carry a S&W, Mdl 29, 4" Magnaported" loaded with handloaded 300 gr very hard alloyed round nose slugs. Never had to use it on an AK Griz yet, but I have harvested a MT Mulie with it. One home defense gun is a 9mm S&W Mdl 669 S.S. 9 shot semi auto. It's within easy reach while in "dream-land" on the 'ole Simmons Mattress.

If "the lady" is a little un-sure of having a loaded revolver close to her bed side, you can't beat a 20ga (for a lady) pump shotgun (18" barrel) loaded with "just good 'ole #8 trap loads". It won't go through a couple of bedroom walls and into a 3rd bed room and kill grandma....like "00" buck or a slug would do. Just the sound of a home-owner working the action of a pump action, is enough to scare off most home-intruders, and it fits nicely under "your side" of the bed. I keep mine there with an empty chamber.

Just some thoughts.

Edit: It goes without saying that if there are children in the home, then other methods of "home protection" would be utilized. My suggestions work for me , in my situation. And to think that "home protection" is unnecessary for certain people, in certain areas..........is to be quite niave!

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-03-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,941 times
Mossberg 12 gauge

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4977/moss500.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana