Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM

55 posts, read 175,294 times

Advertisements

May be looking to make a move back to my home state (I'm originally from Parkersburg,lived there 30 years) and have a few questions about Morgantown.

I would be commuting to Bridgeport/Clarksburg area every day, not a major issue, but closer is better (I see that Cheat Lake area is farther north, but I think the schools may be better?) I have a 7 year old, so schools are very important. May want to build, maybe not. Have approximately 550k - 600k to spend. Looking for developments that are kid friendly/have plenty of playmates.

Can anyone recommend some developments/areas around that area that may fit our needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,069,853 times
I will suggest a realtor that is well connected in the area. Check your message box.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM

870 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Just curious...why not Bridgeport itself? Bridgeport is similiar to Cheat Lake (middle to upper class professionals) and has good schools. Eastern Taylor County right outside Bridgeport city limits is a good area too.

That commute alone (although not far) would be annoying to me because you never know if there will be an accident on I-79, which have been occuring more frequently in the last several years. Also I-79 in winter time is not fun!

Anyway, welcome back to West Virginia! Good luck.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM

CT Mounaineer, thanks for the message. When the time gets closer, will definitely consider your suggestion.

Tallydude, thanks for the suggestion, but my wife is from Philly (we live there now) and we recently took a day trip to the area because I wanted her to get a feel for the area. Drove around both Bridgeport and Morgantown and there seemed to be a more "cityfied" vibe for her in Morgantown. Bridgeport had less of what she wanted in a compromise between this "country boy" and "city girl". :-)

Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,382,628 times
Cheat Lake has a desirable reputation and is convenient to town, etc.
Greystone is a wonderful development with houses in the price range you are seeking.

This website is good to use when looking for houses. Not only do they list the homes they have listed but they list homes by other realtors as well.

Goto oldcolony.com West Virginia homes for sale, Buy a home, Sell a home, Old Colony, Realtors, Selling homes, Buying homes
When you do the search, look in the North Central (MOrgantown, etc) database.
Under Additional Search Options, type Greystone where it says Development

No, I am not a real estate agent and have nothing to do with selling or renting homes. I have just used this site a lot in the last years while looking for property or a house. Know Greystone cuz son lives in a condo there.
The neighborhood is AWESOME.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 111,226 times
I think you will enjoy Morgantown alot. It has more to offer than Bridgeport area in my opinion. I lived in Fairmont for 36 years and spent lots of time in Morgantown visiting friends and attending WVU. I've also spent a fair amount of time in Bridgeport too and it does have lots of shopping and amenities but Morgantown has the university and much more. I guess it all depends on what you like which it seems you have found it. The commute may not be so great in the winter, but it sounds like you are willing to do it. Good luck on your move. WV is a great place to live!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We're really interested in some of the new developments where they are still building rather than existing. Would consider a pre existing home, but prefer a lot (1/2 to 2 acres) in a development.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Default re agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I will suggest a realtor that is well connected in the area. Check your message box.

can you suggest one for me...i want one that knows cheat lake on water houses, ect...thanks

Old 07-17-2010, 02:54 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,069,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron anderson View Post
can you suggest one for me...i want one that knows cheat lake on water houses, ect...thanks
Ron, ... check your inbox/direct messages.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,389,822 times
I'd think for 600K you could buy Cheat Lake. I seem to remember the winters up there as being harder though, making that commute a nightmare. If someone put a gun to my head and made me move back home, I think I'd look around Fairmont, to be halfway between Clarksburg and Morganhole (as a WVU student that was our name for it. It was a crappy place, although I can see it is a little better now, and Clarksburg is a little worse for wear). Morgantown would hold more interest now for the cultural events at the 'U' ...and WVU sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown