Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,066,997 times

Advertisements

Mountaineers Climb to No. 12 Nationally In Director's Cup Standings

With 11 winter NCAA championships completed, West Virginia University is currently No. 12 overall nationally and first in the BIG EAST Conference in the 2009-10 Learfield Sports Director's Cup standings with 500.50 points thus far.

To date in winter competition, the Mountaineers earned 326.50 points to go with their 174 tallied from fall competition.

WVU's men's basketball team finished No. 3 nationally to post 83 points and 50 points were earned from its women's basketball team that placed 17th nationally.

Rounding out the Top 5 in the BIG EAST were Notre Dame (23), Villanova (30), Connecticut (42) and Louisville (45).

Standford stands in first place with 792 points, followed by Ohio State (703), Florida (648), Penn State (621.50) and Virginia (610.50).

Two years ago, West Virginia finished with a school-best 30th-place finish in the Directors' Cup standings. Last year, WVU finished in 50th place.

The Learfield Sports Director's Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 14 sports - seven women's and seven men's.

The final Division I winter standings will be released April 29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,326,188 times
Had too make a comment here...sports is so crazy sometimes.

My friend, who is assistant to a huge college president, was telling me they had a Wv patient last week.

Their respected Orthopedic Surgeon (Dr. Nunnally) operated and said everything would be perfect.

Patient? 'Truck Bryant...

Hospital? Duke University Medical Center

lol...how crazy is it? Ironic in every way.

I wonder if 'Truck was visited by any of that 'butt kicking Duke Team?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,888,257 times
Dave,

Try this link West Virginia guard Darryl Bryant has surgery to repair fractured right foot - ESPN

This says Truck's surgery was performed at Ruby Memorial in Morgantown. It was a doctor in Durham that fit him with the special boot that didn't work after all that effort.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks bb, I'll double check with my friend Monday...I gave her email a glance and deleted it.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,839,568 times
Quote:
WVU Has Nation's #12 Ranked Athletic Program
That's nice. But start making those ath-a-leets pay to go to college, or find a sponsor to pay for it, just like us academic students. I got d*mn tired of Holy College Athletics when I was in college. You'll never catch me sitting through a collegiate sports event ever again, unless it's to watch one of my sister's kids play.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM

All businesses have perks...college sports is BIG business.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,242,953 times
The money made from football and basketball helps to pay for dozens of other, "non-revenue" sports, such as baseball, volleyball, golf, and rifle.

And success in the big sports leads to more applicants (raising the quality of the student body) and more donations to fund raising campaigns.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,839,568 times
I KNOW athletics are big business that get all the fanfare. Most students can't participate in them, yet some part of the state coffers must go to support all this annoying cr*p. It's an apprenticeship for pro athletics. It's entertainment for adults who can't grow up and leave college. So, make the pros and the big kids support their farm teams. As a student, I select a school for its academics. The only good part of football is the band shows. I've paid lots of fees as a student and taxes as an adult that went to support cr*p like coaches salaries. I want *all* of my contributions going to academics. Not effing entertainment. Entertainment and fluff don't make a strong nation, technologically or defense-wise.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Evidentally your personal college experience was limited and not very diverse.

With the hundreds of millions of dollars your Degree will provide in the future, could I suggest you fund a proper college that is devoid of Sports Programs and possibly Art programs too.

That would provide some balance to the higher education programs who depend on varied venues to pay for the programs they offer their studentbodies.

Hooray...for our RifleTeam..for Jerry West...for the 2nd chance given to Huggs....if I keep adding to this list, it will never end...

You, maam, are what they call a 'nitwit.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
... Most students can't participate in them, ...
I think it's informative to note that even the most academically rigorous institutions, such as Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Stanford and Duke have well-regarded athletic programs. These schools believe that a college education is much more than vocational training, and athletics (both competitive and recreational) play a positive role in preparing the student for the real world.

For example, here's the Mission Statement for the Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation at Stanford University:

From its founding in 1891, Stanford University's leaders have believed that physical activity is valuable for its own sake and that vigorous exercise is complementary to the educational purposes of the university. Within this context for human development, it is the mission of Stanford's Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation to offer a wide range of high quality programs which will encourage and facilitate all participants to realize opportunities for championship athletic participation, physical fitness, health and well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown