Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 08:01 PM

926 posts, read 829,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparticulous View Post
The college is why we have a mass transit system of the PRT. It is also why we have some what decent side walk construction as compared to most small American cities. It also provides jobs for the community which appear some hold it in contempt. The trashy apartments, you need housing for your lower class workers. We do not have enough apartments within city limits and way too many detached single family homes. We do not need to tear down the prt but converting it from tires to rail would be a much smoother ride and having hours that are not only geared to students. Also having the college allows the area to have educated younger people who want to make the area better.

And a lot what holds up development are older holdouts that are not associated with wvu but are convinced a ran downtown filled with homeless people is okay. And also Nimbys who are a malignant cancer in the entire country. The last thing we need to do is turn every street into a stroad or waste money on i68.
I actually did manage to ride in the PRT once, and it's extremely outdated. I also know WVU did not pay for the development of the Stone Age era system, but was made in support of it. It should be torn down, and replaced with a light rail system that supports working people and uses existing roads for travel.

The trashy apartments is what stops Morgantown from receiving nicer well designed HUD complexes that are subsidized, offer better amenities, and a higher quality of life, such as this one here. Yes, subsidized housing probably looks better than every apartment complex in all of Monongalia County. Trashy apartments lowered the standard for what's "nice", which is beyond just being visually unattractive and depressing.
https://nhe-inc.com/properties/affor...hickory-grove/
Morgantown has way too many cheap apartments, so many in fact, that the market is saturated, which is why there is a lack of nice rental properties compared to other similar cities like Greenville.

What holds up development, is the city/county is not as proactive as it should be in funneling money and offering incentives as it should. There is a clear distinction between this as well, the county does a significantly better job at this than the city, but more should be done. The battery plant that went to Bridgeport is a great example, because our local government thinks 350 jobs are only worth $60,000 in incentives. If It weren't for the state, I am sure they would've went to Ohio or Maryland anyways.

I agree with the NIMBY statement. Downtown Morgantown isn't particularly attractive, it is overran by homeless, and the roads are awful. But development isn't limited to just downtown or the city, hence most development in the county is outside of the city, and looks like it has been for an entire century. I-68 expansion is very important, because it opens the region up for more sprawling development and opportunity as more counties are within Morgantown's sphere of influence, which would bolster commerce spending. Same is true with creating easy-to-travel wide road connections to other areas. If you look up every thriving major/mid-sized city, you'll notice that it has major thoroughfares entering at every direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 06:49 PM

It looks a second something is being built at West Ridge directly downhill from Menards.

If that's the case, there's at least three things currently under construction at West Ridge, coupled by an additional three things across I-79 at UTC. Beyond that, there seems to be quite a few other things currently under construction in the area. Hopefully this is an indicator of the beginning stages of a soon-to-be booming Morgantown.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:42 AM

63 posts, read 64,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
It looks a second something is being built at West Ridge directly downhill from Menards.

If that's the case, there's at least three things currently under construction at West Ridge, coupled by an additional three things across I-79 at UTC. Beyond that, there seems to be quite a few other things currently under construction in the area. Hopefully this is an indicator of the beginning stages of a soon-to-be booming Morgantown.
Do You know what three things are being built at West Ridge, plus, other than the bank being built, I don’t see anything else happening at UTC?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:43 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
Do You know what three things are being built at West Ridge, plus, other than the bank being built, I don’t see anything else happening at UTC?
I dont know if one of the things he's talking about is whatever is happening at the WVU hospital, looks like theyre adding on to it? Then there's the bank, and supposedly a car wash next to the chick fil a?

Across the interstate, Bass Pro is adding on, and then whatever is going in next to Exxon.

I'll still never understand why alot of these places under construction stopped putting up "coming soon" signs....

Old 06-26-2023, 12:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,513,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
I dont know if one of the things he's talking about is whatever is happening at the WVU hospital, looks like theyre adding on to it? Then there's the bank, and supposedly a car wash next to the chick fil a?

Across the interstate, Bass Pro is adding on, and then whatever is going in next to Exxon.

I'll still never understand why alot of these places under construction stopped putting up "coming soon" signs....
Bass Pro is adding on? Cool, I didn’t know that. Any idea what their plans are?

Old 06-26-2023, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 5,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post

The WVU add-on is an outpatient physical, occupational, and speech therapy rehab center (picture of article attached).
Attached Thumbnails
WestRidge/UTC/Mall/Gateway Developments-capture.png  

Old 06-26-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
There's also a Full-Service car wash and a WVUMedicine Outpatient Clinic at UTC under construction.

For West Ridge, the 350,000 sqft Owens & Minor facility, and I'm not sure what the other two things are. Whatever is going in front of Menards seems to be fairly large. I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain West Ridge developers originally envisioned it to be the site of Dave & Busters. I could also see it becoming a second Planet Fitness.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:53 PM

63 posts, read 64,231 times
Quote:
There's also a Full-Service car wash and a WVUMedicine Outpatient Clinic at UTC under construction.

For West Ridge, the 350,000 sqft Owens & Minor facility, and I'm not sure what the other two things are. Whatever is going in front of Menards seems to be fairly large. I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain West Ridge developers originally envisioned it to be the site of Dave & Busters. I could also see it becoming a second Planet Fitness.
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2023, 08:43 PM

Confirmed that Academy Sports and Outdoors is coming to West Ridge, and will be located directly in front of Menards. Great store, this is something that would probably attract a niche of shoppers from Pittsburgh.

I'm still not sure what is going next to Dunkin', although it could potentially be a Raising Cane's.

Last edited by Archer705; 06-26-2023 at 09:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 10:15 PM

891 posts, read 1,054,493 times
Quote:
Confirmed that Academy Sports and Outdoors is coming to West Ridge, and will be located directly in front of Menards. Great store, this is something that would probably attract a niche of shoppers from Pittsburgh.

I'm still not sure what is going next to Dunkin', although it could potentially be a Raising Cane's.
Are you serious? Having grown up in TX, I know both of these establishments quite well. Academy is very popular in TX and I will shop there as opposed to Dunham's or Bass Pro anyday. Raising Cane's is just chicken fingers and TX toast, but it is good, and sometimes simpler is better. Man, If we could just get Whataburger and Taco Bueno or Taco Casa to open up here, or even Jack In The Box, Id be ecstatic! lol. Or if that Steak n Shake across from the old TX Roadhouse would ever get built, thatd be great to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown