Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 06:51 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times

Advertisements

Or rather than worrying the seller about which lender you will be using, a party could simply claim they were buying with cash but show up the day before closing with a mortgage commitment.

Of course you would need to have documentation that there could have been cash available. The guy who bought my house did that somehow which is what caused my listing agent to push acceptance of his offer. “Cash”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 09:01 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
The 5+ figure NC Due Diligence fees take a fair amount of gaming out of the deal. The more I see it, the more I like it.

Cash. Mortgage. Dogecoin. Whatever.
Put $80,000 non-refundable cash into the sellers' pockets and if a buyer is playing stupid games it can get costly, for sure.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:22 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Depends who’s doing the gaming. DD allows sellers to hide negative features of the property since upon discovering them the potential buyer has two choices. Accept the hidden problems or lose tens of thousands of dollars, then take a risk all over again on the next property. And when the disclosure forms ask for general facts sellers are increasingly finding ways to check the boxes for “no representation”.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Depends who’s doing the gaming. DD allows sellers to hide negative features of the property since upon discovering them the potential buyer has two choices. Accept the hidden problems or lose tens of thousands of dollars, then take a risk all over again on the next property. And when the disclosure forms ask for general facts sellers are increasingly finding ways to check the boxes for “no representation”.

Of course, buyers are smart to hire agents who care enough to look at the condition of the property.
That helps reduce surprises.

No Rep takes very little creativity. It is a good strategy when buyers are making sight-unseen offers and pull the disclosures apart to sue when they get buyers' remorse.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:12 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The 5+ figure NC Due Diligence fees take a fair amount of gaming out of the deal. The more I see it, the more I like it.

Put $80,000 non-refundable cash into the sellers' pockets and if a buyer is playing stupid games it can get costly, for sure.

We don't have that here, and so far, I'm glad about that..... for buyers, who already have it pretty tough in this market.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:03 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

^^^ THIS ^^^

Experiencing this was eye opening... there was never any question about games... it made me feel super confident as a seller... on the buy side it made me be sure this was the house.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
^^^ THIS ^^^

Experiencing this was eye opening... there was never any question about games... it made me feel super confident as a seller... on the buy side it made me be sure this was the house.

The nutty thing is sellers/agents who are demanding worthless appraisal gap addenda, as if someone will walk away from $40,000--$100,000 because the place doesn't appraise.

Heck, if my house appraises for $20,000 under contract, and you are willing to walk away from $50,000, you weren't qualified, or weren't represented by a pro, or both.
So, I have your $50,000 in my pocket and immediately go for a qualified and educated buyer.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agents have a REASON for not liking national lenders: Phone trees where you can't reach real decision makers if things start to go sideways with the loan documents.Loan agents who seem really nice but don't make the decision. They send it on to Underwriting, and you can't talk to them. You have to wait.

EVERY last minute problem or delay we have ever had has been with a national lender with an office in Phoenix and a phone tree answering system that no one answers if they don't have good news.

My local lender... I have his cell phone, and his address. He doesn't ghost me. You should try a lender your agent recommends who is local where you're buying, because your agent trusts him for a reason, and other listing agents considering your offers will also. They know about your credit hits, and they know how to take care not to hurt your score.

Rocket makes people groan. You don't want that.
I am an MLO with Rocket Mortgage. Because I have a background as a Realtor and Appraiser I understand the system and its problems. I monitor every loan I have initiated on line (as can the borrower and Realtor), the borrower has my cell number and email address and can contact me any time. I also keep everybody informed.

I suppose much of it depends on the MLO.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:10 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I suppose much of it depends on the MLO.

It definitely does! In any of these roles.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:12 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Agents have a REASON for not liking national lenders: Phone trees where you can't reach real decision makers if things start to go sideways with the loan documents.Loan agents who seem really nice but don't make the decision. They send it on to Underwriting, and you can't talk to them. You have to wait.

EVERY last minute problem or delay we have ever had has been with a national lender with an office in Phoenix and a phone tree answering system that no one answers if they don't have good news.

My local lender... I have his cell phone, and his address. He doesn't ghost me. You should try a lender your agent recommends who is local where you're buying, because your agent trusts him for a reason, and other listing agents considering your offers will also. They know about your credit hits, and they know how to take care not to hurt your score.

Rocket makes people groan. You don't want that.

I agree with you about national lender's retail division.They are slow, paid little and charge a high fee.

HOWEVER, keep in mind (you may already know) that your local lender may indeed be a hybrid lender. A mortgage broker / banker who does use Rocket Mortgage's wholesale division. In essence a national lender.
If your local lender is a local bank or credit union then yes you're 100% correct.

If not, that pre-approval letter they give you may be with Rocket, UWM or other large wholesale lenders. Usually the letter just includes the loan program, rate, loan amount, and credit score and assurance their income and debts were reviewed and will pass.

Sometimes one of the wholesale lenders offers a monthly special and your customer gets a better rate or pricing than the same company's retail division. Now that is a head-scratcher but it occurs.

It always depends on the person you work with. Someone who like s their job, has good ethics, and wants to maximize their potential as opposed to those who are texting friends or checking social media all day.

A national lender with a call center sounds like a nightmare. I've heard horror stories with Wells and B of A too. Kind of like calling your cell phone provider for something so trivial but ends up taking 30-60 minutes.

Last edited by frankrj; 05-20-2022 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages