Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM

277 posts, read 774,959 times

Advertisements

Just my luck. I've spend the past year trying to find the right home to buy for the first time.

I've finally found the right place and just found out we have an accepted offer.

So right away I start checking out mortage rates and they are just getting higher and higher!!! They have to be the highest they've been in the past 3 years.

Anyone have any insight on what's going on? If I held out a couple of weeks before I apply and lock in a rate, is that too risky or should I just bite the bullet and lock in now? I'm praying it will drop a little over the next couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,468,810 times
I don't like to give advice, because I am far from a financial expert/mortgage expert.

That being said, I just got off the phone with a mortgage broker about refinancing/line of credit, and he said for me to go to Yahoo Finance when I balked at the interest rate he was prepared to give me.

I had no idea they went up, and he insisted that they may not come back down again, for some time . . . . could he be scaring me into getting the loan? Possibly, because he wants to make money, but then I went to Yahoo Finance and it seems he may be giving me an honest picture. Not sure what you should do, but I decided to wait a little bit before locking in with anyone, but I have made MANY poor financial decisions before.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,999,215 times
PM me for a reference to a very good mortgage broker.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM

261 posts, read 1,668,753 times
I'd use a bank if I were you, preferably a credit union. Brokers are just sales people and want their commission like anyone else in sales.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 AM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,553 times
Rates have definitely gone up the last couple of weeks or so. If you are a gambler then I would wait a little bit to see what happens. If it was me, I would wait it out. If your working with someone that is reputable then they should be able to lock you in around the right time. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 AM

104 posts, read 637,761 times
jb124, I am a mortgage broker. It's incorrect to say "we are just salespeople and want our commission" because that loan officer at the credit union or bank is getting a commission as well. Working wih a broker is like going into an ice cream store. Why go to a store that only sells vanilla (Bank/Cr. un.) when you can go somewhere that has 31 flavors? (Broker) A good broker has personal relationships with SEVERAL lenders that offer MANY programs which is to the customer's advantage. Its not in the best interest to screw the client because who refers people to somebody who messes them over?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 AM

345 posts, read 204,140 times
Maybe. That broker may well chargepoints and closing costs that it would take a coupel of years or longer to recover if the difference is only .5-1%. Always look at your Good Faithe Estimate which they are required to gove within three days of an application. Get comparisons just like you would with a building contractor. You should still be able to get 6.5 provided you have kept your credit in good standing. This is still not a bad rate, the market has gotten us spoiled over the past few years. My first house 30 years ago the going rate was 8.5%. It is not about the rate. It is about the excessive inflation. Unless you have found that perfect home...wait. Prices are still going down and we have not seen the bottom yet. Depending on your area this may not be true. The normal run up since WW11 has been 7-9% per year depending on area. In Florida in most areas we have seen 60% in three years. When sellers understand the correction is about 30% off the high then that is the time to reenter the market. We have 10-15% left to go and falling fast. Check back in the market in November, the traditional low point of the market. Be patient during that time forward for 1 year. You will save enough that you won't have to worry about .5% interest rise. Attrition will correct the money. There is still fools money being passed around but it won't change the end result.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,999,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
I'd use a bank if I were you, preferably a credit union. Brokers are just sales people and want their commission like anyone else in sales.
In my most recent purchase I spent a lot of time finding the best way to get a mortgage. I went to my credit union, bank, two mortgage companies, and talked with four mortgage brokers. The mortgage deal that was the best overall was from a good broker.

Don't make assumptions on the best route until you have done the research in today’s market.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,883,017 times
What do you expect? We are just emerging from a period where interest rates were at a 40 year low!!!!!!!! Interst rates are only going higher and higher and higher!!!!!!! No wonder housing saw such run up in prices!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,169,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
I would agree with you to use a credit union for best deals on almost all loans and accounts. The exception is 1st mortgages, where a top notch correspondent lender (broker) will probably have the best process, 1st time homebuyer programs and competitive if not best terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages