Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:07 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

Hi people.

May I create this new thread with music from Brazil?

Music from Brazil is absurdly diverse. In Brazil you find genres that are also found in other countries, as well as genres that are peculiar to Brazil.

To show a little of this diversity in this first post, I will share two Brazilian songs of two opposite genres: Bossa Nova and punk rock.

For Bossa Nova, I will share this song called "Desafinado", by João Gilberto:

And for Brazilian punk rock, I will share this song called "Caos Mental Geral", by a band named Colera:

Well, this post was a little "extreme" in the differences.

In the coming posts I will show what is in between!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Chorinho is a Brazilian instrumental genre. It is usually played using an instrument called "cavaquinho" (small guitar), accompanied by other instruments.

Here is some chorinho:

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I love that João Gilberto song. Great stuff. Speaking of him, this is great:

João Gilberto - A felicidade - 78 rpm (Odeon 1959) Filme Orfeu do Carnaval - YouTube

I don't know that much about Brazilian music, but I do realize there are many genres and sub-genres. Like many Americans, I tend to prefer the bossa nova and jazzy MPB stuff (not too far from bossa nova).

Elis Regina Aguas de Marco - YouTube

But I also like some other things:

Chico science Maracatu Atomico. - YouTube

I've seen some Brazilian music posted here before (and have linked to a few things myself).

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Talking about Brazilian instrumental music, I can't forget Baden Powell, an instrumentist that was considered the "Brazilian genius of the acoustic guitar".

Here is Baden Powell playing his "Samba em Preludio":

And here is Baden Powell playing his "Manha de Carnaval":

Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post

I don't know that much about Brazilian music, but I do realize there are many genres and sub-genres. Like many Americans, I tend to prefer the bossa nova and jazzy MPB stuff (not too far from bossa nova).

But I also like some other things:

Chico science Maracatu Atomico. - YouTube

I've seen some Brazilian music posted here before (and have linked to a few things myself).

Bossa Nova is probably the most well known Brazilian genre in the USA and Europe.

Chico Science was a very interesting artist. He created a new genre called "Mangue Beat" in the 90's. After his premature death, Mangue Beat was almost forgoten by most people. I will talk more about Mangue Beat later in this thread!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM

In Brazil there is a very interesting genre called "MPB", that means "Musica Popular Brasileira" (Brazilian Popular Music).

It's hard to define what is "MPB". There is no consensus. Most people use this denomination to refer to the music produced by the artists from the "post Bossa Nova era", in the decades of 60 and 70 (the same times of the "Jovem Guarda", that is very different from the "MPB").

Many of those MPB artists are still active, and the music that they produce nowadays is generally called MPB yet.

But there are also young artists who are classified as "MPB" by many people. Ana Carolina is one example.

Some artists that are usually classified as "MPB" are presented bellow.

Elis Regina, sometimes called "the Brazilian Janis Joplin", died when she was 37 years old (not part of the "club of the 27"):

Caetano Veloso (still alive and very active):

Chico Buarque:

Gal Costa:

Well, there are many other important names of the "old generation" of MPB, but I can't make mention to everyone, otherwise this post would be endless...

Among the "new generation" of MPB, an important name is Ana Carolina:

(was hard to find a video from her that can be embedded)

Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Talking about Brazilian instrumental music, I can't forget Baden Powell, an instrumentist that was considered the "Brazilian genius of the acoustic guitar".
Ha, I almost posted some Baden Powell, but was having trouble with titles and finding specific performances. He's another one of my favorites. There's a short live recording he made in Hamburg that I especially like. It has a version of "Girl from Ipanema" (a song I don't much care for), which just tears it to shreds, almost like Derek Bailey or something. But I like his lyrical playing as well, and much of his songwriting.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
SEPULTURA . . .

Sepultura - Arise - YouTube

Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Oh yeah, Sepultura is also Brazilian music, even if in English, not in Portuguese.

I think Sepultura is the most well known Brazilian band in foreign countries.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 AM

Samba is the most traditional Brazilian rhythm.

Samba is about 100 years old.

There are many different varieties of samba.

A very old samba from 1935, "Conversa de botequim", by Noel Rosa:

One of the most famous Samba songs of Brazil, "Trem das Onze", composed by Adoniran Barbosa, and released in 1964:

The guys from "Bossa Nova" also played Samba. Here is "Samba de Orly" by Toquinho & Vinícius:

Bezerra da Silva, the symbol of the "malandro do morro", playing one of his most famous songs:

There are also the "Samba Enredo" of the several "Samba Schools" for the Carnival parades:

Fundo de Quintal, a contemporary Samba group, one of the most successful in the present:

Marcelo D2, a young artist who makes a mix of rock, rap and samba.

Seu Jorge and Ana Carolina playing "Eu sou o Samba":

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music