Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 03:08 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times

Advertisements

Ever since I got Sirius XM and started listening to the different decades, I realized that the 80s gets me in a blue funk. I attempted suicide in 81 and grappled with the struggles of being an ethnic minority and gay in a decade that screamed intolerance to me. Other decades don't give me the same feelings. There are certain 80s exceptions, but songs from 1981-87 generally depress me. Anybody else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM

509 posts, read 485,352 times
I think almost anyone will agree that when we bond with certain songs (or even if we don't bond with them), hearing them again much later conjures up memories and emotions relating to the time period when you frequently heard them the first time.

To this day, certain songs transport me back to childhood, and I have a visceral reaction to the memories and emotions that accompany them. Other songs remind me of my college days, while others remind me of long gone lovers... I still bond with songs now; in a decade or two they will bring me back to this moment in time.

Some of these memories and emotions are happy, some are bittersweet, and some are painful.

So, if you were depressed for most of the 80's, reminders of that era will naturally remind you of that depression. Songs seem to be the most visceral reminders.

One thing I noticed though is that sometimes if I play a song I bonded with long ago many times now, it begins to lose its association with the past; the memories fade. It just becomes another song. That strong reaction seems to happen only the first few times you hear something after a long break, and then it becomes diluted.

I'm not suggesting you replay "100 Greatest Pop Hits of the 80's" over and over to cure yourself of melancholia (I wouldn't want to drive anyone to suicide). However, that would be one way to disassociate the songs (which are innocent, after all) from the negative emotions you associate with them. I would also reconsider the 80's too; while there was much that was ugly about them, there were good things too.

Last edited by Maliblue; 07-09-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 12:17 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Yes and no. This one (from decade?) can leave me a bit melancholy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9rTiDoUU3w

Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM

876 posts, read 635,878 times
I get depressed here and there when I run across certain songs because of what I missed out on by being too young when them songs were released.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,210 times
I find most songs bring back fond memories and enjoy thinking back to those times. There is one particular artist that always makes me think of a past boyfriend and although it didn't work out I still enjoy thinking back about him.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM

545 posts, read 411,989 times
Anything from the mid-to-late 90's. It was not a great time for me, having to deal with mental illness, career struggles, and being generally unhappy about where I was as a young adult.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,527,105 times
Early to mid-90's pop/soft rock music gets me, not depressed, but melancholy. It reminds me of simpler times, no responsibilities; just being an adolescent looking to entertain myself; that was the main goal. Songs like She's So High by Tal Bachman, Push by Matchbox Twenty, If You Could Only See by Tonic or Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, music along those lines just gets me in a weird mood.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Philosophically we should always be looking to entertain ourselves. Age is irrelevant. I don't get depressed, but I hear certain songs, notice the lyrics, and what they really mean. Also I I wish I could go back there, because I would be so cool and hip knowing what I do today.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Ever since I got Sirius XM and started listening to the different decades, I realized that the 80s gets me in a blue funk. I attempted suicide in 81 and grappled with the struggles of being an ethnic minority and gay in a decade that screamed intolerance to me. Other decades don't give me the same feelings. There are certain 80s exceptions, but songs from 1981-87 generally depress me. Anybody else feel this way?
Ironically I felt that period was the start of some fine gay acts who were 'out': Culture Club, Erasure, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Soft Cell, The Smiths(Morrissey), Pet Shop Boys, Bronski Beat, etc.

But I won't question your emotional attachment with the era.

I would think a gay ethnic minority would really have trouble with 1940s and 1950s popular music. Aside from some black acts making headway in the 50s, those decades were filled with tame lilly white music with old conservative values, where homosexuality didn't exist in the music, and everything sounded like it belonged in a Norman Rockwell art book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music