Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 12:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,059,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am a baby boomer who sees so many my same age uninterested in listening to any music other than the rock they grew up with? Why is that? Doesn't it get boring?

I grew tired of 70s music long ago. I first started listening to older music....big band, standards, bop, etc. I also started listening to some country. Of late, I've been listening to a substantial amount of hip hop and of newer artists of the "singer/songwriter" genre. I only listen to a 70s tune now and then for nostalgia sake. But to listen to nothing but? How can people stand the repetition?
Even a half century later you can find "deep cuts" on those classic rock albums from
the 1960's and 1970's ....also lesser known bands from that era ...rarely played on radio.

For example ....check out on youtube "Theme for an Imaginary Western"
various videos of the group "Mountain" covering it ....best versions on youtube
are Mid Summer Music Festival Cincinnati 6-13-1970...and live at Woodstock version...
guitarist Leslie West is on fire...nice melodic lead playing...great vocals by Felix Pappalardi,
Pappalardi produced 2 Cream albums "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels of Fire"....
Theme for An Imaginary Western was written by Cream bassist Jack Bruce,
youtube has a fantastic version of Jack Bruce on piano from Rockpalast 1980 (Germany),
he even mentions his friend Felix when introducing the song.
Sadly, Pappalardi was killed by his wife in 1983.

Like I said...plenty of lesser know bands....like one of my faves, "Spirit".

Because, unfortunately, most of the music these days is nowhere near that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 02:51 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,139,789 times
because we've become our parents.

I don't get it either. sure, there's lots of new music I don't like just like there was lots of music of the 60s and 70s I didn't like. that's no reason to discount ALL new music. there is some great stuff out there.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:46 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Today's new music is really awful. Not worth wasting your time on or pretending to like just to appear "relevant" to your peers.
This is exactly the attitude the OP doesn't understand.

So how do you know for sure that someone likes music on its merits, or that they are just "pretending"? Is there a secret facial expression or something that gives it away?

Perhaps a refusal to consider any modern music at all is trying to convey some self-righteous hip quotient of its own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
because we've become our parents.
I gotta give props to my dad, then, because in the early 80s he was asking me to tape some of my Rolling Stones albums for him. He also dug my Credence Clearwater Revival records.

Every time I see my niece and nephew (24 and 21 respectively) I ask them what they're listening to. I don't like all of it, but at least I'm willing to consider it.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:14 PM

2,976 posts, read 1,564,378 times
I'm a boomer myself and the new music on the radio which I only listen to when I'm in my car for the most part is meh. New music I might like isn't that accessible as for someone who doesn't go out of their way to find it. I might find something new I like by accident on YouTube. There are stations in my area that play classic rock or pop, but they play the same songs over and over way too much for me.

I'll listen to KFXM or WSWO on TuneIn for an hour before bedtime to enjoy some of the songs from back in the day that few stations will touch today.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:16 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is exactly the attitude the OP doesn't understand.

So how do you know for sure that someone likes music on its merits, or that they are just "pretending"? Is there a secret facial expression or something that gives it away?

Perhaps a refusal to consider any modern music at all is trying to convey some self-righteous hip quotient of its own?

I gotta give props to my dad, then, because in the early 80s he was asking me to tape some of my Rolling Stones albums for him. He also dug my Credence Clearwater Revival records.

Every time I see my niece and nephew (24 and 21 respectively) I ask them what they're listening to. I don't like all of it, but at least I'm willing to consider it.

Dads know best!

My mom, who passed at 102, liked some of the British Invasion music, her favorite songs were---

Chad and Jeremy--A Summer Song, Distant Shores
Gerry and the Pacemakers--Don't Let The sun Catch You Crying
Peter and Gordon--True Love Ways (she loved Buddy Holly too)
Petula Clark--pretty much all her music
Moody Blues--" " " " " " " " "

Old 08-08-2022, 07:23 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
In a days time when I'm on the road I like to hear tunes from all over the board---Beatles, Henry Mancini, CSN, Moody Blues, Marty Robbins, Ben Hur soundtrack, Carole King, Aaron Copeland, My Morning Jacket, Adele, Willie Nelson, Temptations, Bobby Vee, Liona Boyd, Procol Harum, Hubert Laws, Deodato, Searchers, Wyatt Earp Soundtrack, and bunches of other music.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:04 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,280 times
I think people get stuck in a rut because they refuse to open themselves up to exploring new music. They have made a decision that it's all bad and don't wish to prove themselves wrong.

Music was not quantitatively better or worse in any particular era, it's just that music has a way of attaching itself to memories and for many people their teenage years especially feel like a better time, a carefree time. So the music of that particular time is deeply embedded in and associated with those nostalgic feelings.

There is nothing wrong with that, it's perfectly normal but I do get annoyed by people saying there is nothing good outside of their era of choice. It's extremely narrow minded and dismissive of people like me who really love music from all different periods and still find music to enjoy to this day.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:51 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
There are more musical styles and hybrids and total artists than ever before. So look around as you want. I look around some, often in pretty obscure places.

I have mostly rock favorites from roughly 1967 to 1997. It is generally enough. Some highly played songs on classic rock stations today from that era I have worn out or never really liked and I now regularly turn off. I could name some, but it might get too negative.

As for the most popular music of recent decades and today, I like very little of it and give it little attention and that isn't going to change. I think most of it is weak / bad but more importantly it is simply not for me. I don't enjoy the styles or a lot of the topic matter. I am not 25, black, female, emo, or looking to declare a nuanced modern identity or even just sing or dance or "party".

Listen to what you like or what you are willing to sample.

I'll do that too but probably not like many others, especially those younger.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:37 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,397,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post

There is nothing wrong with that, it's perfectly normal but I do get annoyed by people saying there is nothing good outside of their era of choice. It's extremely narrow minded and dismissive of people like me who really love music from all different periods and still find music to enjoy to this day.
Agree wholeheartedly. And often it isn't just outside their "era of choice"....it's also even outside a specific genre in that era.

I have a friend that I've known since grade school that STILL will not go far beyond rock and roll of the 60s and 70s.....no R&B, no country, no easy listening (Carpenters, etc.).....only rock and roll. I'd go stir crazy listening to the same thing over and over.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are more musical styles and hybrids and total artists than ever before. So look around as you want. I look around some, often in pretty obscure places.

I have mostly rock favorites from roughly 1967 to 1997. It is generally enough. Some highly played songs on classic rock stations today from that era I have worn out or never really liked and I now regularly turn off. I could name some, but it might get too negative.

As for the most popular music of recent decades and today, I like very little of it and give it little attention and that isn't going to change. I think most of it is weak / bad but more importantly it is simply not for me. I don't enjoy the styles or a lot of the topic matter. I am not 25, black, female, emo, or looking to declare a nuanced modern identity or even just sing or dance or "party".

Listen to what you like or what you are willing to sample.

I'll do that too but probably not like many others, especially those younger.
Interesting that you mentioned 1997....I agree, 1997 was the last "good" year
...boy bands took over in the late 90s...
So..I agree with you 1967-1997 ....30 years of good quality music....
thousands of albums were released during those 30 years (notice I didn't say dropped
...more than enough music for me....maybe a half million songs or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music