Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times

Advertisements

I've looked online at a number of lots in Key Marco and they look beautiful. Secluded. Private. High up on 30 feet elevation so you are not wasting thousands of dollars each year on flood insurance. They also have a marina with a reserved spot for owners.

I'm a little concerned about mosquitos being you are literally in the middle of a nature preserve. Do they spray there?

It also seems very underdeveloped for the seemingly prime time real estate. Are there problems with the association or environmental permit issues?

I get that it is a bit out of the way for people that want to be close to naples or shopping but I don't care about those things. I want to be away from people and traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 12:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Oh goodie let's build in the middle of a nature preserve since we haven't decimated this region enough!

Imagine if we didn't stop developments originally planned for Picayune Strand State Forest........... Maybe another 40-50k thousand people living in Collier.

Sanibel was ahead of their time and kept development in check.

Looking at Key Marco from Google earth looks like a thousand homes can be squeezed on there in no time

Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 PM

From what I have researched, the environmentalists already won that battle 40 years ago.

This was the original development plan for Marco Island that the Deltona Corp had from the late 60's/early 70's.

http://www.themacklecompany.com/femj...terplanpg3.jpg

The plan was approved by the state and most of the lots were sold to buyers, but they needed an Army Corp of Engineers permit to "dredge and fill" the outer islands and one section of Marco (Collier Bay) to complete the project. If you look at the map, numerous islands that are now preserve would have been "dredged and filled" with canals for single family homes. The Army Corp of Engineers ending up denying the permits in 1976 after the EPA was created and people started caring about wetlands. This caused a lot of financial problems for Deltona Corp since they pre-sold the lots that they could never build on. Deltona sued the state and federal government and after a few years, they came to a settlement. The development rights for the outer Marco Islands were transferred to non-sensitive areas south of 41 where Hammock Bay and Fiddler's Creek are now and areas of the less sensitive part of Horr's Island where Key Marco is now.

From what I have researched, there are 134 homesites on Key Marco but only 20 or so homes have been built and the project has been active for 20+ years. I'm still curious to know why this project hasn't taken off faster.

If you are curious about the history, this site goes into great detail. It's really fascinating if you are interested in development.

Marco Island

Last edited by logybogy; 04-13-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
From what I have researched, the environmentalists already won that battle 40 years ago.

This was the original development plan for Marco Island that the Deltona Corp had from the late 60's/early 70's.

http://www.themacklecompany.com/femj...terplanpg3.jpg

The plan was approved by the state and most of the lots were sold to buyers, but they needed an Army Corp of Engineers permit to "dredge and fill" the outer islands and one section of Marco (Collier Bay) to complete the project. If you look at the map, numerous islands that are now preserve would have been "dredged and filled" with canals for single family homes. The Army Corp of Engineers ending up denying the permits in 1976 after the EPA was created and people started caring about wetlands. This caused a lot of financial problems for Deltona Corp since they pre-sold the lots that they could never build on. Deltona sued the state and federal government and after a few years, they came to a settlement. The development rights for the outer Marco Islands were transferred to non-sensitive areas south of 41 where Hammock Bay and Fiddler's Creek are now and areas of the less sensitive part of Horr's Island where Key Marco is now.

From what I have researched, there are 134 homesites on Key Marco but only 20 or so homes have been built and the project has been active for 20+ years. I'm still curious to know why this project hasn't taken off faster.

If you are curious about the history, this site goes into great detail. It's really fascinating if you are interested in development.

Marco Island

Started reading the article last night but couldn't finish it all, very interesting read, at work now, will reread the entire thing soon.. Very interesting!

Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM

162 posts, read 302,139 times
You are aware of the minimum house size requirements(3000 sq feet under air I think), the bond issue there for road pavement/utilities, and the high hoa costs due to the marina maintenance right? If you are, then this is really a unique place to live especially if you like being at the mouth of the everglades and all the serenity and beauty it offers. Definitely go in eyes wide open though.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 AM

It looks like the fees are $6000 a year (HOA, and road/utilities bond). But then you have to consider not having flood insurance.

There are lots right now in the $150k range. Then it is cost of construction. My max budget would be $800K. Are there builders that would build me a 3000 square foot house there for $650k? And what quality would that be?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:24 PM

This is an example of the parcel I'm looking at. There are more than a dozen others for sale.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...31_rect/15_zm/

Old 03-19-2021, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,035 times
Interesting in reviving this thread. I have the same basic question. Understand the HOA is $4750 and CCD is $1900 and with taxes at $3000 to $4000 you are looking at $10,000 to $11,000 a year per lot in costs before your house is even built. But with houses staying on the market out 5 min before selling in FLA right now, just wondering if this might be something to consider ?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:20 AM

162 posts, read 302,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzentmaier View Post
Interesting in reviving this thread. I have the same basic question. Understand the HOA is $4750 and CCD is $1900 and with taxes at $3000 to $4000 you are looking at $10,000 to $11,000 a year per lot in costs before your house is even built. But with houses staying on the market out 5 min before selling in FLA right now, just wondering if this might be something to consider ?

Building brand new isn't going to be a cure-all. Builders are facing hugely increasing prices for materials and to some extent, labor right now. Prices for custom, new construction are going up and very fast. You could try and lock in prices in a contract, but what good will that be if your builder goes belly up 1/2-way through your build?

Old 03-26-2021, 04:27 AM

603 posts, read 573,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I've looked online at a number of lots in Key Marco and they look beautiful. Secluded. Private. High up on 30 feet elevation so you are not wasting thousands of dollars each year on flood insurance. They also have a marina with a reserved spot for owners.

I'm a little concerned about mosquitos being you are literally in the middle of a nature preserve. Do they spray there?

It also seems very underdeveloped for the seemingly prime time real estate. Are there problems with the association or environmental permit issues?

I get that it is a bit out of the way for people that want to be close to naples or shopping but I don't care about those things. I want to be away from people and traffic!
They spray, but the bigger issue in that area I think would be the occasional fall winter fires in the everglades resulting in smoke and ash. I've never really understood the attraction of Key Marco given its price point. It seems to me that the best options on the island are on the north side along the Marco River west of the Jolly Bridge where larger vessels can get in, west in Hideaway Beach if you want a gated community specifically, or then beachfront from tigertail through residents beach if you want a condo.

As for marinas, I'm not sure what size of boat you are looking at but most every dock in the area that isn't on the Marco River is extremely restricted because of extensive shoaling.

Last edited by Movingrightalong...; 03-26-2021 at 04:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples