Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin337 View Post
Renting is a good suggestion. What I'd like to avoid is owning 2 homes in retirement. Ideally I'd like to get a home within walking distance to the beach. Looking at Pelican Bay in particular. A decent 3 bedroom in Pelican Bay is not cheap but would be affordable if it's my only home. And I just don't like the idea of wasting so much money on 2 homes. I would probably travel 2-3 weeks in the summer months. Just trying to get a gauge on what summers are like for year rounders. They can't possibly be worse than the long harsh upstate NY winters I've lived through my entire life? Could they?
I've lived here in southwest Florida for 8 years and my girlfriend has been here 18 years. We live here year around. Heat tolerance does vary by individual. I've seen people walking around here in Venice with long pants and a sweater on in mid July and other people stay inside and crank the AC up. IMO it isn't that bad here until August through October. Other people hate it from April 1 until December. Normally, my girlfriend and I go somewhere cooler for a few weeks in September or October. That helps break up things a bit. You probably should rent here the first summer and see how it goes for you. You might decide to be a snowbird. My neighbor is a snowbird from Buffalo and he comes here in January and leaves in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 01:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I've lived here in southwest Florida for 8 years and my girlfriend has been here 18 years. We live here year around. Heat tolerance does vary by individual. I've seen people walking around here in Venice with long pants and a sweater on in mid July and other people stay inside and crank the AC up. IMO it isn't that bad here until August through October. Other people hate it from April 1 until December. Normally, my girlfriend and I go somewhere cooler for a few weeks in September or October. That helps break up things a bit. You probably should rent here the first summer and see how it goes for you. You might decide to be a snowbird. My neighbor is a snowbird from Buffalo and he comes here in January and leaves in May.
Keep in mind Naples is a good 80-90 miles further south than Venice. It’d be like comparing Venice with say Clearwater - the latter is probably 5 degrees cooler in July.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:31 PM

731 posts, read 767,978 times
Bought a condo in Naples in 2009 when we were still working. Since at the time we rented it out to snowbirds in the winter we only visited in the off season. Yes, it is humid with rain most afternoons. We liked that the gulf was warm, warm pools, less traffic, restaurants have more availability, went to the afternoon movie and happy hour after lol, etc.

The heat is definitely personal. My friends moved near Raleigh NC and soon learned that it was hotter and more humid in the summer and their winters were cold. They realized that there wasn't enough good weather as compared to bad weather.

We are full time in Naples for over 4 years now. We love it! We are originally from Long Island and were always depressed when the summer was over. In Naples at least we get great weather for 5-6 months depending on the year. In the hot summers we enjoy it also.

Pelican Bay is a beautiful area. Fees are high, etc. but if it's in your budget, check it out. Also look at communities that have a fair amount of full timers so you're not in a ghost town out of season.

I always say that if you work , Naples might not be for you. However, if you're retired, it's great!

Old 01-20-2021, 01:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
For me, the humidity tipping point is around a 71F dew point because that's when any sweat just sticks to you instead of evaporating. When we go out to the Grand Canyon or Moab, it can be like 105F and seem more a lot more comfortable than Gulf Coast day of 88F because the dew point in Moab is something stupid like 27F and evaporative cooling, like, exists in those conditions.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post

I always say that if you work , Naples might not be for you. However, if you're retired, it's great!
The new compromise might be if you’re a permanent remote worker. Good internet connectivity in most communities, just have a backup plan (and a bug out plan during hurricane season). Also RSW is a great airport to fly in and out of, as long as connecting for many flights is ok.

The only risk is that if you switch jobs you need to find another remote position.

Quite a few people I know who are winding down their careers will move to a place like SWFL and do remote work with travel.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
We get out and do cardio first thing in the morning then go to the beach.

Honestly the only time the heat ever really bothers me is if I've been sitting on the beach for some time then head back to load up my car and go home in the heat.

Until I can get that AC blasting it is miserable.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:39 PM

731 posts, read 724,908 times
I love it. June - Sept every day it's 90+ with real feel in low 100s. I bike everyday and play golf 2-3x week with no waiting. Often it''s just myself and a buddy. We've met a few summer players who don't care either. Wide brim hat and sunscreen. Come home and hit the pool. Have to watch the radar on phone though and be smart.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:36 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Keep in mind Naples is a good 80-90 miles further south than Venice. It’d be like comparing Venice with say Clearwater - the latter is probably 5 degrees cooler in July.

True. Humidity is bad here too but temps aren't as hot. To me, though, the only way he will know is by coming here and spending a summer. Reading about the heat here and actually experiencing it are two different things. If we had low humidity year around we would probably be as populated as California.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 AM

13 posts, read 18,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
I love it. June - Sept every day it's 90+ with real feel in low 100s. I bike everyday and play golf 2-3x week with no waiting. Often it''s just myself and a buddy. We've met a few summer players who don't care either. Wide brim hat and sunscreen. Come home and hit the pool. Have to watch the radar on phone though and be smart.
I'm a huge biker as well. How is the biking in Naples? Is the traffic dangerous or do you have good routes and or times to avoid it? Is there a good bike community?

I'm also a big tennis player. One of my big draws to SW Florida is being able to play tennis year round outside. Any tips on the best tennis communities to look into?

Old 01-21-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin337 View Post
I'm a huge biker as well. How is the biking in Naples? Is the traffic dangerous or do you have good routes and or times to avoid it? Is there a good bike community?

I'm also a big tennis player. One of my big draws to SW Florida is being able to play tennis year round outside. Any tips on the best tennis communities to look into?
I’m assuming motorbikes. Lots of good places to ride, and the advantage of the summer is you only get a fraction of the traffic. In season I don’t think it’s as fun close in to Naples - but when you get further inland it’s not busy.

Most HOA communities that I’ve seen that have a pool and fitness center also have at least a couple of tennis courts. I’m sure there are public courts as well as part of park facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples