Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 10:43 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,585 times

Advertisements

Had to call out and publicly shame another self entitled person yesterday at Vanderbilt who thinks the beautiful sand we have here was her personal ashtray.

Another group of people who witnessed this incident said their New Jersey beaches are non smoking and strictly enforced. Why isn’t ours?

There’s a guy who has a fairly big YouTube channel that goes around the country and catches people in usually grocery store parking lots not putting their shopping carts in the corrals were they belong and not only is the content he creates entertaining but interesting insight to human psychology.

Most people will let their ego take control and will use up more energy defending their own entitlement about leaving their carts right next to other people’s cars that can potentially be dinged by it then just admit they are wrong and go and put their cart back in the corral 20 feet away.

Maybe I should start a YouTube channel where I travel around the country’s beaches and catch people throwing their cigarettes butts in the sand, and I’m assuming most would act defensive and entitled as the women yesterday I caught.

Anyways who has the power within the county to make something happen??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 11:07 AM

45 posts, read 37,694 times
I could not agree more. Of course, this same rationale applies to people who do not wear masks in public places. Bottom line, sometimes we have to inconvenience ourself for others.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNaples View Post
I could not agree more. Of course, this same rationale applies to people who do not wear masks in public places. Bottom line, sometimes we have to inconvenience ourself for others.
Wow. Okay what an excellent analogy and that REALLY STUNG home because I am personally a firm non masker.

I’ve used quite a bit of energy over the past year defending against using masks, instead of just wearing one which would require a fraction of the energy to do so.

In many ways all 3 cases, not wearing a mask, not putting the shopping cart back and just throwing a cigarette in the sand are all very similar and of course have some differences.

I can justify why I don’t wear a mask all I want but like you said, it’s just an matter of not inconveniencing myself I will concede, however it’s also about taking a stance, a stance against things I won’t discuss or justify here.

Like I already said, your comment really stung home and induced some minor feelings of hypocrisy within myself. We all are hypocritical in certain aspects one way or another, some more then others of course.

Keep the good thought provoking comments coming. And once again who has the power within our county to make some changes?

Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
Yep...like is not enough a good DEED to go to Church on Sunday, once a month...and show off for those timid actions.

And make the World believe you're are a hell of a Christian... Mmmmm too SHY for Heavens Free Entrance Folks.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:53 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
<snip>
Keep the good thought provoking comments coming. And once again who has the power within our county to make some changes?<end snip>
Are you asking who has the power to enforce a mask mandate or a beach smoking ban?

Probably no one for either situation.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Are you asking who has the power to enforce a mask mandate or a beach smoking ban?

Probably no one for either situation.
I’m not conceded about the mask, I’m troubled by the fact I see countless people using the sand as their ashtray to bury their finished cigarettes. Caught two people yesterday who I eventually made pick it up and put in the garbage. I’ve become quite the beach bum lately with this great weather and have been spending a lot of time at them. Anyways I’m wondering if someone in the county has the authority to pass a new ordinance?

Old 03-15-2021, 09:43 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,692,815 times
I don't smoke, nor my wife or my left or right side neighbors, there is no side walk in our Cul de Sac, yet every other day I find in my front lawn cigarrette butts.

I guess they are thrown out the Cesnas that fly over our homes from or into ~Executive Airport~ here in SW Miami, a couple of miles from Us.

Nasty habit and then a nuisance for people that have nothinn to do with the smokinn to begin with.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
I don't smoke, nor my wife or my left or right side neighbors, there is no side walk in our Cul de Sac, yet every other day I find in my front lawn cigarrette butts.

I guess they are thrown out the Cesnas that fly over our homes from or into ~Executive Airport~ here in SW Miami, a couple of miles from Us.

Nasty habit and then a nuisance for people that have nothinn to do with the smokinn to begin with.
There was a smoked butt in the doorway of the Y the other day. I guess someone was trying to get healthy after smoking that last cig!

Old 03-15-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I’m not conceded about the mask, I’m troubled by the fact I see countless people using the sand as their ashtray to bury their finished cigarettes. Caught two people yesterday who I eventually made pick it up and put in the garbage. I’ve become quite the beach bum lately with this great weather and have been spending a lot of time at them. Anyways I’m wondering if someone in the county has the authority to pass a new ordinance?
You can probably find someone to email on the county website: https://www.colliercountyfl.gov/

Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 PM

207 posts, read 422,455 times
https://www.winknews.com/2021/01/26/...parks-beaches/ Check out that main photo. Heartbreaking.

That's really the bad thing about Florida, it doesn't protect the natural treasures it has. California, much as everyone likes to trash talk them and their rules, really has it figured out on the keeping beaches (and air and water) clean. Sometimes rules are good.

As for the mask thing, I would prefer that people do it just to prevent the spread of germs. I liken mask policies to a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" level of necessity in that it's really a public health and sanitation issue. I think it was made to be far too political of an issue when everyone should just do it to stop the spread of any disease like the cold or flu. I personally like the idea that if someone coughs or sneezes while wearing a mask that they keep it to themselves versus a non-masked person where that stuff just sprays everywhere because most people it seems are incapable of properly sneezing or coughing into their arm to prevent spray.

I also put my carts away because it's the right, non-lazy thing to do. It especially bothers me at Publix where they will take the groceries to your car for you. If you don't want to put away the cart, don't take the cart! Or better yet, just take advantage of the Publix bagger willing to take your bags to the car for you. It's funny that the people that don't put away their carts are probably also the people that will take up multiple spots so their car doesn't get dinged. Ironic.

Another problem I have with smokers, aside from their cigarette littering (speaking of which, there are already littering laws/ordinances for which they can be fined for throwing their cigarette out of the car or on the beach), is when they roll down their windows and hold the cigarette *outside* their vehicle. Like, hello, you recognize that it is so foul that you don't want that stench inside your own car, but other people have to have it sucked in through theirs? Not right. Should also be a huge tip off that you shouldn't smoke in the first place if you think it's too disgusting to keep inside your own vehicle. Anytime that I see someone throw their butt out the window I just wish I could go over, shove that cigarette butt into their mouth, and make them swallow it. It really is a disgusting, costly habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples