Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 05:01 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Happened to us more than once. In hindsight, it was a good thing. We got frustrated and had decided to give up when we got an "out-of-the-blue" call from our agent who told us about a listing going on the market the next day suggesting we jump on it because it would not last long. We ended up with a great house in a super location (170 foot lake frontage) better than any of the other ones we thought were "the" house.

Hang in there. You might want to look for another agent. We went through three before we found the right guy who was relentless in finding us what we were looking for. Like I said above, we told him we were in a time-out for a while but he kept looking anyway and called us weeks later about the house we eventually bought. He still stays in touch nine years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Tell me the address and I can probably give you 5 reasons off the bat why that house wasn't 'perfect'.

You missed out, it happens to everyone. Everything happens for a reason right? The next home will be the one and you'll learn from this one not to wait.
I am not a big believer in the real estate karma gods, as I like to call then. I don't believe in all that everything happens for a reason stuff. You can try to look on the bright side of things and make the best of it, which I think most of us have gotten better at during Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 06:25 AM

8 posts, read 8,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I didn't move for 14 years because I had built a new house in a new neighborhood and didn't realize how small the yards would be since we were the first build in our area. This was about 2 years after we built. My husband didn't want to move. I looked at houses for many years and never saw one that I loved enough to push it. Finally, one day, I went to see one and loved it. It was about 25% overpriced and I knew it would take the sellers a while to get to that realization so we finally put in a slightly below market offer with some room to negotiate and they still came back at about 23% overpriced. Then we had a situation that we wanted to sell some stock before we bought it and we were in an 8 month blackout period which had never happened in 22 years of working at that company. Since the house was way overpriced, it sat and sat. We made another offer and immediately, they got another offer. I know the realtor called the other interested buyer and shopped our offer. That deal fell through and then we decided we needed to sell our vacation home because we didn't want to carry expenses on two houses. My husband didn't want to buy in Illinois because of the coming financial collapse. I saw us still here for another 6-10 years until at least he retired. Then after we sold our vacation home I said let's go buy it and he said his company was doing a huge round of layoffs and we were lead to believe he would be given a buyout offer by a very credible source. But then they started rioting downtown and people freaked out and started buying up everything they could get in the suburbs and by the time I realized it, the house I wanted had sold. By then, we had found out my husband wasn't being laid off. Now he is able to be fully remote so we are not stuck here anymore. Both my husband and I are on the same page about moving to Florida and I have a buyer who wants to look at my house. If she doesn't buy it, I will probably list it. If we have to rent, we will. It's just such a bummer because I found a house and we just hesitated a second and it sold.
geez.....then stay put and stop the agony lol

Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 AM

Another FT house showing yesterday. Beautiful home in desired neighborhood. More contemporary than I like and house isn't officially on the market yet. I looked at all the sales in the desired neighborhood over the last few months and there were maybe 2 I would have bought and preferred. Just don't know whether to rent and risk never finding one and meanwhile prices keep going up or just settle for it for now. Husband likes the home more than I do.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 AM

24 posts, read 24,306 times
What's the hurry? scared? like spending too much? settle down maybe

~juicy

Old 04-09-2021, 03:16 PM

207 posts, read 422,665 times
Does the agent live in your desired area? If she lives in that general area, she could always go on Nextdoor and ask if there was anyone thinking of selling something soon that meets your criteria. Might be worth a shot. I would personally rather make a direct deal with someone as opposed to having to go through the whole listing/showing process, even if I knew it was possible to make more selling on the open market. Just makes things much easier, especially in these Covid times to not have a bunch of strangers coming through and touching everything.

Barring that, does this house your husband likes but you don't have the ability to become something you could love?

Old 04-09-2021, 03:24 PM

233 posts, read 276,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Another FT house showing yesterday. Beautiful home in desired neighborhood. More contemporary than I like and house isn't officially on the market yet. I looked at all the sales in the desired neighborhood over the last few months and there were maybe 2 I would have bought and preferred. Just don't know whether to rent and risk never finding one and meanwhile prices keep going up or just settle for it for now. Husband likes the home more than I do.
RENT FIRST

If you like the neighborhood and the people - then buy there. Just remember taxes are never going down

Old 04-10-2021, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 19,072 times
Yes yes, rent first by all means. Take your time for goshsake. A house is not something you 'love', it's a place to live, rest, recreate, maybe work a bit, and stay out of the rain and sun. It's a darn house. Living life isn't about finding a perfect shelter, pool, or outside kitchen lol.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:18 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Good luck finding a rental.... Have you decided to definitely buy now? As far as the house that hubby likes better than you, there is no house that checks off all the boxes regardless of price, it's always something. If the negatives outweigh the positives move on. If not, and it's in your favorite neighborhood and price is acceptable, you may want to move forward and buy it.

Just curious, what are the negatives of this house that bothers you? Kitchen, baths, style, no water view, size, etc? Remember location location.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Good luck finding a rental.... Have you decided to definitely buy now? As far as the house that hubby likes better than you, there is no house that checks off all the boxes regardless of price, it's always something. If the negatives outweigh the positives move on. If not, and it's in your favorite neighborhood and price is acceptable, you may want to move forward and buy it.

Just curious, what are the negatives of this house that bothers you? Kitchen, baths, style, no water view, size, etc? Remember location location.
The location is excellent. No issues there. It's just a more contemporary home and kind of dark. I could maybe paint some rooms and lighten it up. I would prefer a lighter kitchen. (Cabinets are dark). Master suite is gorgeous. We are very limited on where we can buy because of the school. 99 out of 100 people would look at it and say it's beautiful. And it is. It's tricky because I found a house in that neighborhood that I loved and it sold.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post

I agree that finding a rental might be tricky, too. If we were empty nesters, it would be easier. I would need fewer bedrooms. I have learned that finding 4-5 bedrooms down here is challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples