Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 01:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Too bad development is so uncontrolled down there but thats life in SW FL .
I feel bad for the wildlife that’s being displaced by all this building. They have nowhere to go and seeing a real Florida panther and knowing it has a habitat to live in, would be worth a thousand condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 05:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
I understand as I have no interest in coming back to florida even for a vacation again after the last trip down to move my wifes older sister out maybe 4 years ago . It is aid how quickly development takes over down there . Must make your drive to MCO hard to deal with today .
It's still not bad, but noticeably busier than it was 4 years ago when we moved up here. Even late at night going home there is a lot more traffic that simply wasn't there before. Knowing it's only gonna get worse, before it gets worse, is truly depressing.

After watching what happened to Naples, my PTSD is triggered every time they break ground for another 1000 home subdivision........

I am hoping that it doesn't hit critical mass before I retire.

Last edited by Tripower455; 02-20-2023 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-21-2023, 04:40 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I feel bad for the wildlife that’s being displaced by all this building. They have nowhere to go and seeing a real Florida panther and knowing it has a habitat to live in, would be worth a thousand condos.

So you have not seen a panther in the wild ? Perhaps you could spend some time walking in the Fakahatchee Strand but Go in on the Jones Grade road entrance off us-29 park and walk west on the old grade across what we new as 12mile prairie into the strand . The trail goes into the main line , turn north and you might see the remains of our old camp on the north end of the pond / borrow pit. Use to be a camp on each end of that pond . I saw my first panthers back in '77 and sat down on the edge of the main line grade just to watch a momma cat and two younger cats . Momma finally spotted me about 80 yards away and walked off the grade . By a can of bear spray if your a novice in the wilds . ha
Lots of good memories from times spent in thats swamp.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fl...!4d-81.5157535

Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
It's still not bad, but noticeably busier than it was 4 years ago when we moved up here. Even late at night going home there is a lot more traffic that simply wasn't there before. Knowing it's only gonna get worse, before it gets worse, is truly depressing.

After watching what happened to Naples, my PTSD is triggered every time they break ground for another 1000 home subdivision........

I am hoping that it doesn't hit critical mass before I retire.
Will you stay down there when you retire or to far off yet to know .

Old 02-21-2023, 07:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
So you have not seen a panther in the wild ? Perhaps you could spend some time walking in the Fakahatchee Strand but Go in on the Jones Grade road entrance off us-29 park and walk west on the old grade across what we new as 12mile prairie into the strand . The trail goes into the main line , turn north and you might see the remains of our old camp on the north end of the pond / borrow pit. Use to be a camp on each end of that pond . I saw my first panthers back in '77 and sat down on the edge of the main line grade just to watch a momma cat and two younger cats . Momma finally spotted me about 80 yards away and walked off the grade . By a can of bear spray if your a novice in the wilds . ha
Lots of good memories from times spent in thats swamp.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fl...!4d-81.5157535
Thanks for the link. Sounds like a day with sunscreen, water and a good camera. I’d be thrilled to see a Florida panther. Collier has a panther crossing sign, it’s hard to believe the cats would be lurking here with all the noise and traffic.

I’ll definitely be checking out Fakahatchee Strand, what a great moment it must have been to see that mama and her cubs! The Everglades are beautiful.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:42 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,087,806 times
Quote:
Will you stay down there when you retire or to far off yet to know .
The plan is to stay, but we'd also planned to stay in Naples, and you know how that turned out.

We'll see how badly they mess up this area and how it affects us on a daily basis, once retired. A lot can happen in 7 years.

We had dinner with some old Naples friends that came to visit last weekend, and they brought some other Naples folks, that were up for a local antiques show with them. We'd met them a few times over the years.

While enjoying cocktails on our lakefront deck, they asked why we'd moved from Naples. The lady was actually offended when I explained that the rampant overdevelopment, with near zero infrastructure improvement, rendered my already difficult commute untenable.

She told me that the traffic wasn't bad(!) and that the roads down there were amazing.

The only other people I've heard say that in the last decade has been here on City Data.

Everyone else that we know still living down there complains about it on a daily basis. All are planning their exodus upon retirement.

Turns out, she works from home and rarely leaves her house, so of course, it's not bad for her.

Hope things are going well for you brother!

Last edited by Tripower455; 02-21-2023 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
The plan is to stay, but we'd also planned to stay in Naples, and you know how that turned out.

We'll see how badly they mess up this area and how it affects us on a daily basis, once retired. A lot can happen in 7 years.

We had dinner with some old Naples friends that came to visit last weekend, and they brought some other Naples folks, that were up for a local antiques show with them. We'd met them a few times over the years.

While enjoying cocktails on our lakefront deck, they asked why we'd moved from Naples. The lady was actually offended when I explained that the rampant overdevelopment, with near zero infrastructure improvement, rendered my already difficult commute untenable.

She told me that the traffic wasn't bad(!) and that the roads down there were amazing.

The only other people I've heard say that in the last decade has been here on City Data.

Everyone else that we know still living down there complains about it on a daily basis. All are planning their exodus upon retirement.

Turns out, she works from home and rarely leaves her house, so of course, it's not bad for her.

Hope things are going well for you brother!
Different strokes for different folks . Hard for newer people to the area to try to understand why some of us want out or already long gone while others will continue to move to collier county or naples and love it for what it is today . And life goes on !

Old 02-22-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Thanks for the link. Sounds like a day with sunscreen, water and a good camera. I’d be thrilled to see a Florida panther. Collier has a panther crossing sign, it’s hard to believe the cats would be lurking here with all the noise and traffic.

I’ll definitely be checking out Fakahatchee Strand, what a great moment it must have been to see that mama and her cubs! The Everglades are beautiful.
Long PM sent . Ted

Old 02-23-2023, 11:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Small town charm was gone over a decade ago. We left 6 years ago and haven't been back since. Had family go back to visit and said traffic is a nightmare people are ornery as ever. My gf whom grew up with me in Naples through the 80's 90's and through the mid 2000's went back last autumn and said she didn't even know the town anymore and had no desire to go back after that last visit. She used to be a regular every year. I dunno how it is like I said I haven't been back in a good while but from the sound of it on these boards and from ppl who i know that visit doesn't sound like I'm missing much now. Now with Desantis banning books and all such things I'm glad we got our daughter out when we did.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Small town charm was gone over a decade ago. We left 6 years ago and haven't been back since. Had family go back to visit and said traffic is a nightmare people are ornery as ever. My gf whom grew up with me in Naples through the 80's 90's and through the mid 2000's went back last autumn and said she didn't even know the town anymore and had no desire to go back after that last visit. She used to be a regular every year. I dunno how it is like I said I haven't been back in a good while but from the sound of it on these boards and from ppl who i know that visit doesn't sound like I'm missing much now. Now with Desantis banning books and all such things I'm glad we got our daughter out when we did.
I’m only 34 and only lived in Naples from 2015-2022 but if you grew up in Naples in the 70’s and 80’s then the Naples of today must be an absolute **** hole compared to what it was. Back then I believe there were beautiful sand dunes in North Naples. Many more trees on the eastern fringes and orange groves as well. The traffic was almost non existent, water quality better, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples