Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Recap of New Jersey to Florida visit, forum members very helpful in planning trip, job interviewing process did not go as planned, flight difficulty and cancelation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 878,257 times

Advertisements

Nancy Lynne,
So Sorry You Had To Go Through All That But I Am Glad You Shared Your Story (and You Really Kept A Good Sense Of Humor About It). Unfortunately, It Really Is That Way In Naples And Fort Myers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
As far as your job interview goes. It sounds like things actually went better than you think. Take a deep breath, call on Monday, discuss your travel plans calmly - no more apologies. Sometimes it takes a few days to over a week for all of the heads to get together. The last thing you need to do is freak out.

And then, before you go, make a motel reservation before you leave, maybe close to the airport, and allow twice as much travel time as you think you'll need.

And are you really sure you want to live in Naples? Why not Huntsville, Alabama or Tallahassee, FL?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but honestly, it seems like a higher power is trying to dissuade you from taking this job or making this move.

You definitely deserve better than what you went through. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:17 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Nancy what a bummer!
I can't stand communication difficulties, let alone that disastrous weather.
I hope you hear soon, and that everything gets straightened out.

Hi Cil! How's it going?
Thanks for thinking of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but honestly, it seems like a higher power is trying to dissuade you from taking this job or making this move.

You definitely deserve better than what you went through. Good luck!
Hi gypsychic:

Yep, I do believe in that higher power. At first, I thought it was really meant to be (but maybe it was just me doing wishful thinking). In any event - I do believe that "I will be wherever I am meant to be".

Does your name (psychic) mean anything?

Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thank you Nancy Lynne for responding! We were really worried about you!

Aren't the snowbirds the pits? They could make all the other problems in southwest Florida go away, but until those crazy snowbirds leave I would never consider going back. Try waiting on those nasty people.

I once went to a job interview in Fort Myers and the person that was suppose to interview was not there. Told to come back the next day. No apology.

I also worked at a place where I worked all week and then when I went in on Friday the place was cleaned out. Everything gone, including my social security number and my paycheck.

You may want to consider that blizzard to be a sign from God.

Thanks for keeping AN EYE on me!! How is TN these days?

Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
As far as your job interview goes. It sounds like things actually went better than you think. Take a deep breath, call on Monday, discuss your travel plans calmly - no more apologies. Sometimes it takes a few days to over a week for all of the heads to get together. The last thing you need to do is freak out.

And then, before you go, make a motel reservation before you leave, maybe close to the airport, and allow twice as much travel time as you think you'll need.

And are you really sure you want to live in Naples? Why not Huntsville, Alabama or Tallahassee, FL?
Thanks Ellie:
I appreciate your "level headed thinking". I was, in fact, freaking out....but just pretending I wasn't! LOL!

Cheers to you!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Hi gypsychic:

Yep, I do believe in that higher power. At first, I thought it was really meant to be (but maybe it was just me doing wishful thinking). In any event - I do believe that "I will be wherever I am meant to be".

Does your name (psychic) mean anything?

Nancy
LOL - Actually, it's "gypsy-chic" not psychic, funny I never noticed that about my board name. But I am a very intuitive person and have been psychic on occasion

Thanks for sharing your detailed story at length. I will say it is good to trust your gut when making life-changing decisions.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
Thumbs up keep the spirits...

Well, sometimes it just SOUNDS all to crazy to even make any sense, or give you any hope of working out. But, I have learned from previous experiences that the best way to deal with everything is to be optimistic, level headed, openminded and straight down the middle.
And YES, everything happends for a reason, and I am such a strong believer of that.
What I don't like, however, is the notion that this guy never appologized! Sorry, I do put a lot of weight in manners....no matter when it is, how it is, or whom it is. Guess he is forgot where he came from ,and how to put his pants on, or, his mama didn't teach him well. If I was in your shoes..... I am not sure, if I would even give him a second chance, to have the "pleasure" meeting me????
Sorry, I KNOW what I'm worth....lol

Last edited by MB2; 02-18-2007 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,628 times
nancy
I moved to Tampa in 97 w/o a job...(did have a retail job until I had gotten an office one though)...I had gone to a temp agency to help me out and one of the jobs I went too I only lasted 2 days (wasnt 'me')...on my first day, maybe the first 2 or 3 hours I was there someone called the dept I was in and asked for so & so... I replied that I didnt know where he was & to call back later...person on phone really nasty 'do you who that is? so & so is the vp or something of that department' I didnt come out & say it but I was like excuse me i only started this morn blah blah blah'

also i had interview here in Raleigh where I am living now...got caught in traffic etc...called the place & the temp agency to let them know I could not make it...the person at the temp place sounded angry that I could not go in.... and it was a place I had used when I first moved here too...really nice guy...

Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
nancy
I moved to Tampa in 97 w/o a job...(did have a retail job until I had gotten an office one though)...I had gone to a temp agency to help me out and one of the jobs I went too I only lasted 2 days (wasnt 'me')...on my first day, maybe the first 2 or 3 hours I was there someone called the dept I was in and asked for so & so... I replied that I didnt know where he was & to call back later...person on phone really nasty 'do you who that is? so & so is the vp or something of that department' I didnt come out & say it but I was like excuse me i only started this morn blah blah blah'

also i had interview here in Raleigh where I am living now...got caught in traffic etc...called the place & the temp agency to let them know I could not make it...the person at the temp place sounded angry that I could not go in.... and it was a place I had used when I first moved here too...really nice guy...
Hi DaBears:
Thanks for the note. I am assuming you didn't get the job in Raleigh? Did they ever call you back? Or...did it just go into a black hole?
Nancy

Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 AM

Thumbs up Naples was beautiful tho...

The first time I visited Naples, I was immediately turned off by the high rises and the downtown area -- just a bit too much for my taste. I thought that was "all" of Naples. This time I was in the NorthEast section of Naples and I thought it was gorgeous. Well, what really stole my heart was the abundance of wildlife and nature everywhere you looked!

I thought it was "meant to be" for me as I drove down Airport Pulling Road and there were dozens! of blue herons on the side of the road where there was a little waterway/swamp. I saw birds I had never seen before! I even saw a stork! Then...I actually saw a large turtle trying to cross the road! I was in love! (Sorry, I am passionate about environ/animal/wildlife). He was huge, probably about 3 foot in length. Well you know what happened next, right? I pulled over as soon as I could --- not much room to do that there without going into the ditch --- and shuffled the "about to be smushed" turtle back into the ditch with my "high heels" ... I know, I know, I caused even more of a traffic jam ....., but I had fun anyhow! Did I say being able to live near the Everglades???? Paradise for me! Hmmmmmmm maybe I just ought to plan a trip to camp in the Everglades for a week and I'll get over my fascination with it all . Didn't see any croc's though. You know where I'd be happy working? In any one of FL's wildlife preserves, zoos, sanctuaries, etc. - altho I know I could never get in - and with the money I would make - would probably have to live in the ditch with the turtle~!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Another weird thing about the job...

They had asked me to prepare a document on my perception of the company's position in its industry, an overview of the industry itself, an analysis of the company's competitors and how they position themselves, and a portfolio of my writing/collateral.

I spent days researching and writing, researching and writing. I prepared a formal document in a binder (3) of them to hand out if necessary, with a powerpoint presentation to give during the interview.

But no one ever asked for it!

When I brought it up........the VP said....."oh yes, we gave you a little homework assignment, didn't we"........but no one ever looked at it.

However, when the original manager I was originally supposed to meet with asked to reschedule after he missed our original interview appointment, he added "make sure you bring samples of your writing, etc."

Interesting.

I had been asked to do a very similar task for a company I had begun to interview with in Melbourne. They asked me to take review their web site and asked me to provide my thoughts on how I would change/reposition it. I did an extensive job on that --- one of my best pieces of work. I emailed it as requested. Never heard anything. I called, nothing. Finally, I sent an email asking if they had received my work. I got a short email back, "yep, we got it, we'll be in touch". .......Now I see that they have implemented many of my suggestions/product renames, etc., on their website.

Oh boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples