Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

Hello! As I have been doing my research I am now completely overwhelmed regarding our move to Tennessee. We will only be able to visit once before school begins and that will be for only a few days. We are a family of three, 12 year old son who lives and breathes baseball. Our schedule is so packed as he is in his last year of Little League, and his last year here in California for travel ball. So I am looking for any help to maximize our visit and narrow down areas! My son will be entering 8th grade in August and his current school here in CA is a strong academic charter school. He is a strong student athlete. We are looking for an excellent neighborhood where we will be renting. We are not looking to buy until we are certain and happy with location... have seen too many folks here in CA buy first and wish they would have waited. Our priorities are schools, neighborhood, and 30min commute to downtown. We would really like to find a school with an excellent baseball program as our son has been identified as an elite prospect in CA. Our rental budget is $2000-$2500 per month. As far as I have read Franklin, Brentwood and Hendersonville are the areas I need to be looking? Any other help/info would be so appreciated!!!! PS Though we are relocating from CA, we are Northern California country folk. We love the beach but, we'd rather have a muddy bank any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,496,946 times
Sounds like you're looking in the right areas for starters: Franklin, Brentwood, Hendersonville. I'd also add Mt. Juliet to the mix as a 4th option. All good school systems.

I'll speak to Hendersonville since it's where I live. Lots of travel league baseball in this area. I don't think there are any middle school (6-8th grade) baseball teams affiliated directly with the school system. Most everyone I know is involved through the recreation leagues in Hendersonville, Gallatin, or Goodlettsville (which won the US Little League Championship about 3 years ago).

Hendersonville also makes a lot of sense (along with Mt Juliet) if you are water people and want to be near muddy banks. Hendersonville has plentiful access points and parks along Old Hickory Lake. Mt Juliet does as well and also has access to Percy Priest Lake too.

As an aside, if you opt for Hendersonville, I would highly advise you to have your son tested for Merrol Hyde Magnet School, which has been rated as one of the best in the state. Sounds like he would be a good fit academically there. Although their athletic program isn't the best since it's so selective to get in, the higher quality education would outweigh it in my opinion.

Out of those 4 areas, Brentwood is probably the only one that is reliably within a 30 minute rush hour commute time of downtown. Much of Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet would qualify...though some days less than others. Franklin too, though it depends how far off the interstate and what side roads you took. I would say if you opened it up to a 40-45 minute average rush hour commute it will expand your options.

I'm not much help when it comes to rentals, but I do think you're wise to rent first and then buy once you decide where to settle. Our rental market is pretty high right now due to a large influx of relocators, but hopefully you'll be able to find ample inventory at your price range.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM

584 posts, read 1,140,060 times
There are travel teams in most Middle TN counties. Some travel longer distances than others. Some are Little League. Some are Babe Ruth. (I have not seen any PONY League groups here.)

You can see some of the area teams as you browse tournaments here: Tennessee BPA | Home

As young men get into high school, they may choose to play on a summer showcase team.

Also, there are showcases where individuals may register and be seen. Here's an example of one: | Tennessee Smokies Smokies Stadium

Go to local social media and search for baseball to read stories about our high school athletes, get a feel for our public and private school sports programs. Williamson Herald: The Voice of America's Greatest County Brentwood's Online Newspaper Home Page Franklin's Online Newspaper Home Page More of What You Live Here For! | Williamson SourceWilliamson Source

Williamson County has had a few young men go into MLB after high school:

Franklin High School (Franklin, Tennessee) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and very recently:

Brentwood High: Column: Sending Robbie Ray back to Triple-A Toledo best for Ray, Detroit Tigers over long haul | MLive.com

Old 05-12-2014, 01:21 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
This guy is from Mt. Juliet and went to Friendship Christian. Pitched for the Seattle Mariners last year and is one of their big prospects.
Stephen Pryor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Stephen Michael Pryor (born July 23, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Seattle Mariners of Major League Baseball. Pryor debuted with the Mariners on June 2, 2012. He won his first game on June 8 in a combined no-hitter, started by Kevin Millwood.
Any baseball fan knows the name David Price. One of the best pitchers in baseball. From Murfreesboro, went to Blackman High, and then Vandy. Plays for the Tampa Bay Rays.
Quote:
The 2012 season for Price was one of his best. He went 20-5 on the season (tying for the league lead in wins) with a league-leading 2.54 ERA, two main reasons why he won the AL Cy Young Award. Price pitched a complete game shutout against the Los Angeles Angels on April 24, 2012, with the final score 5-0.[11] Price pitched in the 2012 MLB All-Star Game. Price got his 20th win against the Chicago White Sox on September 30, making him the first 20-win pitcher in Rays franchise history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Price_(baseball)

Sonny Gray went to Smyrna High, then Vandy also, and now pitches for the Oakland A's. One of their top young prospects.
Quote:
Sonny Douglas Gray (born November 7, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Oakland Athletics of Major League Baseball. He was a first-round draft pick by the Athletics in the 2011 MLB Draft.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Gray

...Not to mention that the Goodlettsville and South Nashville Little League teams have been in the Little League World Series the last two years. Goodlettsville lost to Japan in the World Championship game

Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,907 times
Thank you very much for your responses, they help very much! My son is pretty scared of this move and I want to make sure that when we visit we'll have plenty to do and places to see to help him out too. I'll look into the website for tournaments and have his coach contact some coaches? Maybe he could even guest play! Our only true saving grace for him is the amount of awesome baseball that comes from the area For me, it's just finding a good school and home ... the rest will fall into place. Are there any specific neighborhoods that I should avoid? We currently live on a lake, man-made, but it's a lake! We don't have to live on the water but I'd like a backyard with a little room. Thank you again!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:15 AM

138 posts, read 602,112 times
I'm in the same situation. Thinking about a move to TN. My son also obsessed with baseball. He is 9. He is a pitcher and lives baseball .. Looking into the school system I need to do major research. Will be visiting first week of August.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,654,313 times
Tony Kemp is a Centennial High grad. CHS is known for going to nationals in hockey, but our other athletic programs are also noteworthy. They have gone to state in Track every single year and produced state champions in tennis (Ian and Kaylene Chadwell).

Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Tony Kemp is a Centennial High grad. CHS is known for going to nationals in hockey, but our other athletic programs are also noteworthy. They have gone to state in Track every single year and produced state champions in tennis (Ian and Kaylene Chadwell).
Pssh. My senior year when they were good we beat them 8-0 in the Nashville city title game before we won state (Mt. Juliet). Of course that was like 11 years ago sooooo

Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,914 times
Also looking for schools in Nashville/Franklin/Brentwood area. I have 3 children, one who loves basketball, the middle baseball and the youngest into the arts. Which private schools in the area do the best job with all three? The boys have always played competitive travel and I'd hope "Music City" would meet our expectations with the arts. Hope I'm not wrong on the last one. All three are strong students.

I've looked at BGA,CPA and Ensworth. Am I missing on other options?

What are the travel baseball and basketball teams in this area and when are tryouts?

I saw lots of music lessons offered through the schools but where do I look for private lessons?

Thanks ahead for any help

Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,496,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candhorb View Post
I've looked at BGA,CPA and Ensworth. Am I missing on other options?
Others in that are that come to mind are Lipscomb Academy, Brentwood Academy, Montgomery Bell Academy (for boys)/Harpeth Hall (for girls), and Franklin Road Academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville