Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 PM

38 posts, read 70,566 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with elementary schools in the Hermitage area? Looking for Pre-K this upcoming school year, but I'm kind of worried from what I've been hearing. I'm not familiar with Hendersonville at all, but we've also considered looking into moving there for the schools. Mt Juliet is great, and I know the schools are too; but it's hard finding rentals within our budget (not looking to buy for a couple of years).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
What is your rental budget? Hendersonville and MtJ are probably lock in step as far as prices go, I would imagine. Hendersonville is popular in part for the great school system...and it might have more rental inventory available. It's worth checking out.

I would think Hermitage would be fine for elementary. Andrew Jackson Elementay and Ruby Major Elementary get high grades on Greatschools.org, as does Tulip Grove Elementary. My gut reaction is you'd be fine renting in Hermitage until you figure things out.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
If you are interested in Montessori at all, you might want to call the Metro Nashville Schools office and ask if it is too late to get into the Montessori school in Donelson. We have several friends who have sent their children to Stanford Montessori and really liked it.
It's part of Nashville's public schools, so there is no tuition, but you have to get accepted. Typically through a lottery, but they also used to have some sort of zone preference, so you may be able to get in if you rent in the zone.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
What is your rental budget? Hendersonville and MtJ are probably lock in step as far as prices go, I would imagine. Hendersonville is popular in part for the great school system...and it might have more rental inventory available. It's worth checking out.

I would think Hermitage would be fine for elementary. Andrew Jackson Elementay and Ruby Major Elementary get high grades on Greatschools.org, as does Tulip Grove Elementary. My gut reaction is you'd be fine renting in Hermitage until you figure things out.
Yes, I'm finding that Hendersonville has more rental inventory available. We're looking to keep it under 1k for renting, preferably around 850. I've seen a few options in Hendersonville, but everything I've seen in Mt Juliet seems to be larger, newer homes renting for around 1.5k monthly. I'm really not familiar at all with Hendersonville (or the commute to downtown).

The only thing with the 2 schools you mentioned is they don't offer Pre-K. I was hoping to send the little one this upcoming school year, and noticed Mt J and Hendersonville public schools start at Pre-K.

I know Pre-K shouldn't be a huge deal, but it's my first and only child so I'm kind of stressing over it, ha!

Old 05-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If you are interested in Montessori at all, you might want to call the Metro Nashville Schools office and ask if it is too late to get into the Montessori school in Donelson. We have several friends who have sent their children to Stanford Montessori and really liked it.
It's part of Nashville's public schools, so there is no tuition, but you have to get accepted. Typically through a lottery, but they also used to have some sort of zone preference, so you may be able to get in if you rent in the zone.
Thank you! We still haven't settled in to a place, so the only thing with that is it might be too late to even be considered.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday21 View Post
Yes, I'm finding that Hendersonville has more rental inventory available. We're looking to keep it under 1k for renting, preferably around 850. I've seen a few options in Hendersonville, but everything I've seen in Mt Juliet seems to be larger, newer homes renting for around 1.5k monthly. I'm really not familiar at all with Hendersonville (or the commute to downtown).

The only thing with the 2 schools you mentioned is they don't offer Pre-K. I was hoping to send the little one this upcoming school year, and noticed Mt J and Hendersonville public schools start at Pre-K.

I know Pre-K shouldn't be a huge deal, but it's my first and only child so I'm kind of stressing over it, ha!
From what I've heard about Hendersonville/Sumner Co's Pre-K program is that there is an application process. We have a neighbor who's son was in it. His was a hybrid type program with some special needs children along with peer mentor children who were at full development. So they take both children who need a little help and those who are fully adjusted too. I know they really liked the program and the teachers were great. There may be other programs out there, but that's the only one I've heard of. I'm sure the county school board could answer questions that you may have. There are also pre-k programs through Goddard School and others but those are definitely not free.

Your budget is going to be a little tight but you probably can find something in Hendersonville. When we rented a few years ago (waiting for our house to be built), we were able to get a 1200 sq/ft condo around $900/mo. So, keep your eyes peeled and you can probably find something that suits you.

Hendersonville's commute time varies depending on what part of Hville you're leaving from. From the southwest side (New Shackle Island/Glenbrook/Hospital area) it's about 30 minutes average. You can add about 5 minutes for each exit further into Hendersonville you go. It's not a quick commute, but not an overly burdensome one either. And you do have options if there's terrible traffic (Gallatin Rd, Long Hollow Pike, etc).

Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM
nra

72 posts, read 268,524 times
I agree Pre K isnt available to everyone. It is limited . You can check the districts school website for information on the same.

Andrew Jackson is a great school in Hermitage. I consisitently hear good things about that school. I dont know much about the other schools there.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
From what I've heard about Hendersonville/Sumner Co's Pre-K program is that there is an application process. We have a neighbor who's son was in it. His was a hybrid type program with some special needs children along with peer mentor children who were at full development. So they take both children who need a little help and those who are fully adjusted too. I know they really liked the program and the teachers were great. There may be other programs out there, but that's the only one I've heard of. I'm sure the county school board could answer questions that you may have. There are also pre-k programs through Goddard School and others but those are definitely not free.

Your budget is going to be a little tight but you probably can find something in Hendersonville. When we rented a few years ago (waiting for our house to be built), we were able to get a 1200 sq/ft condo around $900/mo. So, keep your eyes peeled and you can probably find something that suits you.

Hendersonville's commute time varies depending on what part of Hville you're leaving from. From the southwest side (New Shackle Island/Glenbrook/Hospital area) it's about 30 minutes average. You can add about 5 minutes for each exit further into Hendersonville you go. It's not a quick commute, but not an overly burdensome one either. And you do have options if there's terrible traffic (Gallatin Rd, Long Hollow Pike, etc).
Thanks for the information! How would you say the commute is compared to Mt Juliet -- one better than the other? Most of the places I've looked at in H'ville are closer to New Shackle Island Rd and that first peninsula, with the exception of a couple places in the Nannie Berry school zone (which I believe is further in/near the second peninsula).

eta: Some of the places I looked at to rent are near West Main St, I'd imagine that commute time wouldn't be as bad, but then again maybe not in the best school district.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday21 View Post
Thanks for the information! How would you say the commute is compared to Mt Juliet -- one better than the other?
I've lived in both MtJ and Hville and prefer Hville's personally. In my experience, the commute time is probably quicker from MtJ but you have fewer options if there is a major tie-up on the interstate. It's pretty much just Lebanon Road or Briley to another smaller artery into town. So there's a cascade effect if one is messed up, the others feel the effect. That said, the only commuter rail in the area runs from downtown out past Lebanon with stops in Donelson, Hermitage, and MtJ. So that could be a good option.

Hville is a few minutes longer (though from New Shackle, it is pretty easy), but there are more secondaries to use. Gallatin Rd, Long Hollow Pike to I 65, Long Hollow to Dickerson Road, and once you get closer to town you can use either I 65 or Ellington Pkwy. That said, the 386 bypass in Hendersonville is recognized as being a fairly dangerous stretch of road. I think there were over 100 wrecks on it last year. They are launching a study to figure out ways to make it more safe. So there's that too.

Personally, I prefer the options I have as a Hville commuter than the ones I had as a MtJ commuter.

Quote:
Most of the places I've looked at in H'ville are closer to New Shackle Island Rd and that first peninsula, with the exception of a couple places in the Nannie Berry school zone (which I believe is further in/near the second peninsula).

eta: Some of the places I looked at to rent are near West Main St, I'd imagine that commute time wouldn't be as bad, but then again maybe not in the best school district.
Nannie Berry is a great school, as is Indian Lake Elementary, Jack Anderson, Beech, and Station Camp. Those are probably the top ones by name reputation that I can think of. I think the first peninsula is zoned for either Gene Brown, Lakeside Park, or Walton Ferry which are good schools too. The only elementary I can think of with a so-so reputation is Whitten and I actually have heard that they have made great strides recently. Honestly, I would not let the school name drive my decision on where to rent too much as I think most all of them will be on about the same level of quality. I doubt there's a great deal of difference in the education quality at Indian Lake versus Walton Ferry for example.

Spend some time on the Great Schools website to see how other parents rate their schools and that might give you an idea of the parity of the schools.

Hope that helps and always feel free to ask more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville