Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times

Advertisements

IKEA is going to open in Memphis in the Fall of 2016. I WISH they were coming to Nashville but it's much easier to drive to Memphis than it is to drive to Atlanta. So I'm happy! I think Modern Nash will stay in business. Most of what I want from IKEA wouldn't fit in my car . . . .

Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
It looks like its on an old golf course.

UPDATE: More Details Emerge on $64M Ikea Memphis | News Blog | Memphis News and Events | Memphis Flyer

The back and forth continues ...

The flyer should cover the fact that Nashville is about to bust a gut over IKEA opening in Memphis and not Nashville. It's really rather amusing.

It is funny that there is any gnashing of teeth in Nashville over this. If life is so great in Middle Tennessee and Nashville has advanced so far past the likes of Memphis, why would they even be reporting on this development?

For our dear friends in Nashville, never fear- the Memphis Business Journal is reporting that "The Ikea would be the first in Tennessee, although sources say a second could be announced in Nashville in the near future". Memphis is apparently just the beachhead for an all-out Swedish invasion.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
-I'm very happy for Memphis that they are getting an IKEA. Unfortunately for them, they've watched a lot of regional and national retailers come to Nashville first. We shouldn't be upset that they're getting something before we are. In reality, it's about time. If the rumors are true, and Nashville is also being considered, then great. I really don't mind being second if both cities end up getting stores.

-I don't get the hype for IKEA. Yes, it's a pretty neat store. They are massive (though it seems that with the Memphis announcement, they are looking to scale down their stores slightly for mid sized markets). They have lots of useful stuff (especially for apartment dwellers). Their stuff seems fairly reasonably priced. But why do people go gaga over it?? People bash big box stores all the time, and this is the biggest box store out there! As they expand, I would think their 'novelty' will wane a bit.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 AM

362 posts, read 645,868 times
I wish IKEA was coming to Nashville. I really like their homewares department. Sad �� but yes, better in Memphis than driving to Atlanta

Old 12-17-2014, 07:23 AM

What I like about IKEA is the European modern clean design of their products. I went furniture shopping when I first moved here to fill in some pieces that were left behind and all I could find were big dark "classic" ornate furniture that would not have fit in the door of my house. And I didn't like the look of it. Ended up going to a store in Atlanta. Crate & Barrel, Room & Board . . sometimes Pottery Barn . . all these places have a more 'modern' design.

The same with H&M . . the clothes are different from Forever 21 (no, I don't shop there for me!). Interesting prints and fabric and style. European, again.

For me, the prices are good, but it's the design ("look") that appeals to me.

PS. Seems like, for example, with stores like Forever 21 . . ALL the stores of that ilk have somewhat similar product. Makes H&M stand out.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 7,507 times
You have just made my DAY! Wish they had come to Nashville.. but I will take Memphis as second choice..

Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Count me among those who are glad that IKEA is finally in Tennessee but baffled that they're in Memphis instead of Nashville. Still, I love Memphis and am glad for them. It's been a long time since Memphis has had something they can gloat over. Having said that, from where I live it's about the same distance to Atlanta, so I'll still be going to Atlanta for my IKEA fixes.

I also don't buy into IKEA's claim that they need 30 acres for a store. Their Atlanta store is smack in the middle of the city and doesn't sit on anything near 30 acres (the store is on top of a multi-story parking garage). There's no reason they can't do the same in Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Count me among those who are glad that IKEA is finally in Tennessee but baffled that they're in Memphis instead of Nashville. Still, I love Memphis and am glad for them. It's been a long time since Memphis has had something they can gloat over. Having said that, from where I live it's about the same distance to Atlanta, so I'll still be going to Atlanta for my IKEA fixes.

I also don't buy into IKEA's claim that they need 30 acres for a store. Their Atlanta store is smack in the middle of the city and doesn't sit on anything near 30 acres (the store is on top of a multi-story parking garage). There's no reason they can't do the same in Nashville.
Agreed on all counts. Happy for Memphis. Hoping this turns out to be great for them. It will be interesting to see if people from rural Mississippi and Arkansas care enough about IKEA to drive to shop there. The examples of living in 400 sq ft apartments they set up in their stores won't seem as relevant in Memphis. I read that the average IKEA store grosses $100 million each year. If that's true, that seems like a huge amount of sales to do in Memphis or even Nashville.

We will continue to go to the Atlanta IKEA also, mostly because Atlanta is more of a regional shopping destination. I don't like IKEA enough to travel several hours just to shop there. And that's another reason that the Memphis choice seems odd, Memphis has less other unique stores to make it a weekend shopping destination. But my hope is that IKEA will draw more stores to Memphis.

IKEA has a huge draw world wide, a recent report said 20% of British babies were conceived on an IKEA bed. The other 80% are conceived on the floor, next to the IKEA bed the parents couldn't figure out how to put together. (~ Jay Leno).

Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM

263 posts, read 614,402 times
Perhaps you all are not aware that the Pyramid arena in Memphis is being turned into a ridiculous retail tourist destination complete with a hotel, ungodly huge fish tanks, and various other crazy things. Tacky beyond belief, if the advance renderings are any indication of what to expect.

Nordstrom is a store. It's sterile and clean and lovely. Congrats, Nashvillians for getting one. It fits perfectly with your Pottery Barn and Container Store and whatnot.

IKEA and this Bass Pro monstrosity are events. Graceland is an event. Sun is an event. Beale is an event. Memphis is a gritty, grimy, showy town that has 'swagger' and wears its heart on its sleeve. It needs events -- not stores.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Really? They are turning the pyramid into a hotel? I thought there was something about it was too big to cool which is why it tanked in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville