Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2022, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 15,670 times

Advertisements

we relocated last year and have one child at Father Ryan (very happy) and another at Brentwood Middle. Currently looking at private schools for a possible move from Brentwood middle, simply due to the size...just a bit big for my daughter. Looking at CPA and FRA...maybe Lipscomb? Am very sensitive to an environment that leans too far left - we would like a more conservative community. Do these three schools all seem fairly center or slightly right-of-center? Just trying to avoid anything too liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 07:14 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
If you like John Rich's politics you'll love Lipscomb. All the schools you mention are conservative. Have you already applied because I think the deadline for applying has passed for all of them if you want entry next year. You may want to look at Brentwood Academy and St Cecelia too. The only ”liberal school” in Nashville is probably USN. Harpeth Hall leans progressive in pedagogy.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Does anyone like John Rich's politics? He seems to discredit any point he tries to make by repeating insults, slurs and outright lies. That guy.....

Old 01-27-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Does anyone like John Rich's politics? He seems to discredit any point he tries to make by repeating insults, slurs and outright lies. That guy.....
yet he holds a lot of power/sway at Lipscomb.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:01 AM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Default Beware of Lipscomb Academy

I went to Lipscomb Academy. The school has changed so much in the last few years. Most of my friends that I graduated with have opted to send their children to other private schools or Williamson County public schools. I would suggest taking a look at CPA (Christ Presbyterian Academy) or FRA (Franklin Road Academy) as alternatives to Lipscomb Academy. The problems at Lipscomb Academy are much bigger than all the John Rich mess from a couple of years ago and the Trent Dilfer incident from September 2021. Those are things that have been made public. The school has many deeper problems that have not hit the media. The academics at Lipscomb are also sub-par compared to many other private schools.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 19,401 times
Good question....we are looking at the same and trying to understand differences in priorities between the various schools.

We are currently looking at these schools:

FRA
CPA
Battleground
Ensworth
Brentwood Academy

Have heard Brentwood Academy is very focused on sports....is this true?

We're ideally looking for a good balanced school that leans more towards academics than athletics.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:49 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Good question....we are looking at the same and trying to understand differences in priorities between the various schools.

We are currently looking at these schools:

FRA
CPA
Battleground
Ensworth
Brentwood Academy

Have heard Brentwood Academy is very focused on sports....is this true?

We're ideally looking for a good balanced school that leans more towards academics than athletics.
From a born and raised Nashvillian perspective:

The one missing from this list is Montgomery Bell Academy (all-boys) which is the best academically besides USN (probably too progressive for you and no football team). MBA is very strong in athletics and the arts as well.

MBA and USN are definitely competitive with the best independent schools nationally.

Ensworth is getting there - just relatively new in some aspects (secondary/upper school). Harpeth Hall is decent too.

Out of the list provided, I'd go Ensworth, FRA, then BGA. Brentwood Academy is overrated.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
From a born and raised Nashvillian perspective:

The one missing from this list is Montgomery Bell Academy (all-boys) which is the best academically besides USN (probably too progressive for you and no football team). MBA is very strong in athletics and the arts as well.

MBA and USN are definitely competitive with the best independent schools nationally.

Ensworth is getting there - just relatively new in some aspects (secondary/upper school). Harpeth Hall is decent too.

Out of the list provided, I'd go Ensworth, FRA, then BGA. Brentwood Academy is overrated.
MBA/USN/Harpeth Hall are were the kids with the good ISEE scores go. St Cecelia Academy is under-rated and think with its change to a 7-12 school I think it is poised to grow and be on par academically with other top schools albeit not as liberal as HH.

My impressions of Brentwood Academy is win at all costs and despite being a "christian" school aren't strong on moral leadership. Ensworth has a beautiful campus but also seems full of socialite's kids and about appearances over academics.

BGA is an okay school but looking at its college placement list isn't doing any better than Franklin High across the street so why pay $30k?

We have a lot of friends at CPA. All good families and all seem very happy. Kids are all over the spectrum there-- we know some brilliant kids, but most
kids we know are pretty typical. The music/recording program there seems top notch.

The kids we know at FRA are all very sweet kids. I don't know much about the academics but they do have an awesome robotics program/makers' space.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Ensworth has a competition swimming pool, if that's a priority for you. MBA and HH do not, although they have teams that practice at Centennial, as do other schools which I don't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: