Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM

137 posts, read 630,029 times

Advertisements

Yeah let me clarify, when I said "most of Franklin" I was actually referring to 3 areas that I have been looking at (Fieldstone Farms, McKay's Mill, and Cheswicke) and not all of Franklin. These areas have good access to Cool springs and I-65, usually in 5-10 minutes (except maybe some parts of Fieldstone). From Cheswicke has lots of sidewalks, and it's possible to walk to downtown Franklin (also walk to nearby shopping and the school). McKay is the closest to the freeway and the mall area. Fieldstone is located in the 37069 zipcode which is has the highest household income, and the best schools in Franklin, but is farthest from Cool Springs (10 minutes or more). I haven't looked at anything "down south" in Franklin so far, as that area seems really remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
How did you determine Fieldstone had the best schools? Is there an updated site you can share? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 PM

I was basing that on reading that Franklin High is the best high school in Franklin and was highly ranked on greatschools.net

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Just a little elaboration/clarification for others that might be reading. Franklin is very dependent upon cars, just like Brentwood and 95% or more of the greater Nashville area. I realize you might have seen online that there are a few walkable areas in Franklin. I've actually posted about it a few times too. You really have two. Westhaven is a community with several conveniences within the community. However, it's in one of the more remote areas of Franklin overall. So for some things, yes, you can walk within Westhaven to a handful of things. Other than that, you have the historic Downtown area of Franklin. While that area is one of the more walkable areas around, the housing stock makes up a very small portion of Franklin's overall housing. So in the grand scheme of things, Franklin is very car dependent.

In regards to convenience, parts of Brentwood and Franklin both can be located far from I65. Neither has more or less than the other, really. Well, Franklin actually has more at some distance from I65, but it also has more housing than Brentwood and is much more spread out in general. However, the East part of Brentwood is still quite convenient to Cool Springs. It's a short back road trip vs. driving to the Interstate (which actually then would possibly take you 20 minutes). But as I stated earlier, in terms of convenience to I65 or Nashville, if you're in one of the few neighborhoods right near I65 in the Cool Springs area of Franklin, it'll be faster than if you're in one of the 7 miles off the Interstate neighborhoods in Brentwood. Otherwise, the majority of the time, Brentwood is quicker to Nashville.

According to google maps it takes 21 minutes to drive from Brookfield subdivision (I used Copperstone Drive as the starting street) in eastern Brentwood to the Whole Foods in Cool Springs, when traveling on Concord road and I-65 south. It takes 22 minutes if going via Crocket road, Wilson and Moores lane (the "backroads" you were talking about). It's a couple of minutes shorter if you start in Shadow Creek.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
Thanks Dena Williams.

Regarding the above, as far as convenience to shopping and commuting, I think that the eastern most part of Brentwood (close to Nollensville road) is actually so far from I-65 and Cool springs (I think it's almost 20 minutes from the Cool Springs) that it actually is less convenient than most of Franklin. The main criteria for convenience is access to Nashville (I-65 North) and to Cool Springs, so it really depends on what part of Franklin or Brentwood you are looking at.

Another difference is that in Franklin there are some walkable neighborhoods (sidewalks and you can actually walk to to places), but in Brentwood you are completely dependent on driving to get to anywhere (and there are almost no sidewalks). Personally, I'm not sure what is preferable - sidewalks or no sidewalks ?
I don't know beans about Brentwood but i can tell you that the "walkability" of Franklin is only one reason we're happy living there.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
We just moved here last year. Franklin is a good place for families, but honestly there is not a lot of diversity. My kids were rather shocked by the lack of it. If you are interested in diverse schools in Franklin, you would want to find a home zoned for Centennial High School or possibly Franklin High. If your children are elementary aged, the Franklin Special School District (vs Williamson County Schools) have more diversity in general. You can look up the FSSD website to see the names of the elementary schools. I work at one of them and they are good schools.
As I said, I am a teacher and my husband is a manager for a paint company. Our neighbors include teachers, retired people, stay at home moms, engineers, lawyers, etc. But the majority of them, (ok all of them in our immediate area) are white. We are in the subdivision Sullivan Farms which is nice but be sure to check the zoning for the middle and high schools (elementary is nearby and fine). My kids get on the bus at 6:30 a.m. to ride 25 minutes down winding , country roads to get to a school in the middle of nowhere. There is VERY LITTLE diversity at those schools, Page Middle and Page High. It's possible the zoning could change in the future.
I hope this helps a little. I would definitely say rent first to check out different areas.
Also, the Davidson County Schools could possibly be taken over by the state soon depending on test scores. They have been on probation or whatever for several years (No Child Left Behind stuff). That's not to say there aren't good schools there, but just something to be aware of.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleciasoltes View Post
We just moved here last year. Franklin is a good place for families, but honestly there is not a lot of diversity. My kids were rather shocked by the lack of it.
Our neighbors ... the majority of them, (ok all of them in our immediate area) are white.
I take it when you mean lack of diversity, you mean too many Caucasian people. Why not just come out and say it.

I wonder what would happen if I moved to north Nashville and complained to certain locals about there being not enough diversity, or alternatively "too many Blacks". Or if during my recent trip to Oaxaca, I were to have complained loudly to my Latina hostess about its "lack of diversity" because there were too many Mexicans.

A little bit of reality: people always have and always will be comfortable the company of others like themselves. No reason to make a big deal out of this. Its how nations and communities have always come about, throughout history. A couple hundred million superliberals in modern times are not going to drastically affect this reality.

And lots of people REALLY like Franklin including me- Just the way it is. And also the way it was when I was a Nashville kid in the '50's ~ '60's. To read a complaint like this after all these decades is just bizarre.

Last edited by groovamos; 05-03-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM

43 posts, read 149,202 times
Brentwood is basically a part of Nashville so it is hard to compare to Franklin they are both upper class but it seems like Franklin has different air Im in the moving business and everytime we go down there I feel like Im out of town as to when we are in Brentwood I feel Nashville is just around the corner

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleciasoltes View Post
We just moved here last year. Franklin is a good place for families, but honestly there is not a lot of diversity. My kids were rather shocked by the lack of it. If you are interested in diverse schools in Franklin, you would want to find a home zoned for Centennial High School or possibly Franklin High. If your children are elementary aged, the Franklin Special School District (vs Williamson County Schools) have more diversity in general. You can look up the FSSD website to see the names of the elementary schools. I work at one of them and they are good schools.
As I said, I am a teacher and my husband is a manager for a paint company. Our neighbors include teachers, retired people, stay at home moms, engineers, lawyers, etc. But the majority of them, (ok all of them in our immediate area) are white. We are in the subdivision Sullivan Farms which is nice but be sure to check the zoning for the middle and high schools (elementary is nearby and fine). My kids get on the bus at 6:30 a.m. to ride 25 minutes down winding , country roads to get to a school in the middle of nowhere. There is VERY LITTLE diversity at those schools, Page Middle and Page High. It's possible the zoning could change in the future.
I hope this helps a little. I would definitely say rent first to check out different areas.
Also, the Davidson County Schools could possibly be taken over by the state soon depending on test scores. They have been on probation or whatever for several years (No Child Left Behind stuff). That's not to say there aren't good schools there, but just something to be aware of.
Centennal HS has gang problems.Are Gangs Infiltrating Williamson Co. Schools? - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -
There are other much better schools in Franklin.

Diane G

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I take it when you mean lack of diversity, you mean too many Caucasian people. Why not just come out and say it.

I wonder what would happen if I moved to north Nashville and complained to certain locals about there being not enough diversity, or alternatively "too many Blacks". Or if during my recent trip to Oaxaca, I were to have complained loudly to my Latina hostess about its "lack of diversity" because there were too many Mexicans.

A little bit of reality: people always have and always will be comfortable the company of others like themselves. No reason to make a big deal out of this. Its how nations and communities have always come about, throughout history. A couple hundred million superliberals in modern times are not going to drastically affect this reality.

And lots of people REALLY like Franklin including me- Just the way it is. And also the way it was when I was a Nashville kid in the '50's ~ '60's. To read a complaint like this after all these decades is just bizarre.
Can't speak for everyone but for me, personally, I always preferred a diverse area to live in. As the quote goes, too much of something is never a good thing. People that claim they want to live around people of their own race have issues. When it comes to Franklin vs. North Nashville, well.. I've never seen blacks in North Nashville vandalize neighborhoods with hate speech like Franklin.. Grand Divisions: News and Comment on TN Politics: Racist vandalism in Franklin or do things like this.. Franklin police investigate car vandalism as hate crime - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports | or even this in Thompson Station... Student arrived at school with confederate flags, noose on car - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports |

However, I've only lived here for 10 years.

I worked in Williamson County doing residential construction for 8 years and really had no major problems with people from Brentwood or Franklin. Most have no major worries like people from other places or atleast that's the persona they give off. People in Brentwood often will act like they are better then you. People in Franklin seem to go over the top in trying to act like they are better then people in Brentwood. The people I feel sorry for are the people that live in Spring Hill but live on the Williamson County side of the border. They get no prestige and have to pay outrageous property taxes to have the name " Williamson " plastered on their license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville