Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 03:25 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

Unicorns and dragons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 07:34 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
I don't mind bringing a few animals back that aren't vicious to or pesters mankind. So nothing bothersome, annoying, etc.

Old 07-23-2023, 01:08 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
.......Other: Pterodactyl, ..........
A flying predator with a wingspan of 35 feet. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm sure that the Hawaiians would love to see some of their tropical native birds returned to them. Although I mostly don't know what the birds were, I know they are all killed off thanks to European visitors and the invasive species they brought with them. Google says 95 species of birds were wiped out.

Old 07-23-2023, 01:40 PM

10,994 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A flying predator with a wingspan of 35 feet. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm sure that the Hawaiians would love to see some of their tropical native birds returned to them. Although I mostly don't know what the birds were, I know they are all killed off thanks to European visitors and the invasive species they brought with them. Google says 95 species of birds were wiped out.
I figure it's an exercise in fantasy as well as futility so it would be fun to see one - in the wilderness!

Old 07-23-2023, 01:42 PM

6,699 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
If scientists could recreate a Neanderthal being, it would be incredibly cruel to the created one. I hope this never happens.
Why??

Bring back a couple hundred, of both sexes, and you have a breeding population to begin their global takeover.

Old 07-23-2023, 03:18 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
I think the question is much too broad. There needs to be a time element.

Last 100 years would be the Tasmanian tiger or thylacine.
Last 500 years would be the Moa giant bird
Last 1000 years would be the giant bird of Madagascar
Glacial period would be the giant sloth or saber tooth tiger

There are so very many it's really impossible to decide including the woolly rhino

Old 12-17-2023, 06:33 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I would like to see the Carolina Parakeet make a comeback. The last one in captivity died in 1918. They were the only native parrot to North America, and there used to be flocks of millions. Farmers tended to hate them because they would eat certain crops.

But I think it'd be so cool to see glimpses of them flying around among the bluffs of the Mississippi River.
These would be so neat to see.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:05 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Although I mostly don't know what the birds were, I know they are all killed off thanks to European visitors and the invasive species they brought with them.
Actually the Native Hawaiians killed off many bird species shortly after their arrival. (And the Maori did the same in New Zealand.) Unlike us, though, they have the excuse that their ancestors didn't know they were doing it.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:49 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually the Native Hawaiians killed off many bird species shortly after their arrival. (And the Maori did the same in New Zealand.) Unlike us, though, they have the excuse that their ancestors didn't know they were doing it.
I was going to say the same thing. Polynesians especially did a real number on wildlife wherever their boats took them.
One can only imagine the flora and fauna that existed on Easter Island before it was nearly totally decimated by the natives.
There was a really cool species of goose at one time in Hawaii the natives made extinct much before the Europeans ever set foot on those islands.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:13 AM

35,019 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let's reverse that other thread and think about what we'd like to see back.

I'd like to see the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, Passenger Pigeon, and Thylacine for starters. Perhaps also the Mammoth, sabretooth, and dire wolf. Though those last two would probably have to be limited to captivity since we'd be returning large predators to an environment that no longer suits them in it. Mammoths might be able to survive in small herds in the northern isolated parts of the world but even it would be hard pressed.

Would be really cool to see some of the large mammals that came after the dinosaurs but even if we could bring them back, there's no home for them except in a zoo.
I don't know what a Thylacine is. For me my list is:
  1. Mammoth;
  2. Ivory Bill Woodpecker;
  3. Wolverine in upper Great Lakes and Adirondacks; and
  4. Passenger pigeon.
On that note, I wonder if the extinction of the passenger pigeon resulted in part from diseases introduced by European pigeons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature