Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 02:29 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

I've got something rather weird going on the last couple of weeks. We have two bird feeders with various seed in the back flowerbed and then a wooden squirrel feeder about 40 ft away in the trees that I keep with a variety of nuts and seeds to keep them away from the bird feeders. This (along with a baffle on the bird feeder pole) has worked very well for both squirrels and birds. My usual routine is to fill all the feeders every other day as they would be totally empty.

But lately it is as if both the the birds and squirrels have disappeared. I filled up the squirrel feeder three days ago and it is barely touched and the same for the bird feeders. Usually I could look out at just about any time and see lots of action at all the feeders but not any more; just an occasional cardinal.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 02:33 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Well, birds are starting to migrate so that may explain some of it. Hummingbirds have disappeared here in the last couple weeks. Squirrels are still around but I don't try to attract them.

I seem to have a larger number of finches than normal and the blue jays have started to appear.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:44 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that if you're in the wilderness and suddenly all the birds and small animal noises stop, that there is a large predator nearby. So maybe a large animal is eating or lurking nearby?

Old 10-11-2023, 02:56 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Starting in about the beginning of September, I noticed a noticeable decline in the # of birds coming to my feeders. A guy at the wild bird store I go to said the same about his feeders.

However, on Friday when it got cold, most of them seem to have come back. Myself and the guy at the bird store figured there was just an abundance of natural food around, coupled with nice weather.

I'd wait until it started getting cold before I got worried.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:13 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
They've disappeared in my neighborhood because of cats. Lots and lots of cats. I haven't seen a squirrel in at least 18 months. There are far fewer small birds, too.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I feed squirrels and birds....the birds get the usual mix of seeds, the squirrels chopped peanuts. Usually the peanuts are gone within an hour, but lately there are some peanuts remaining into the evening....so clearly, the usual herd of squirrels is absent.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:47 AM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,437 times
Every time a Cooper's Hawk comes around mine leave for a few days.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is always a chance of a local problem, ranging from a disease (like bird flu) to a new predator taking advantage of the easy pickings. We have had a recent influx of robins on their way south eating our holly berries, and as many as 20 Junkos eating seeds from the flowers in the garden. With our many big trees the squirrels are very active, as are the rabbits. Back in July there were no rabbits around for a few weeks, and I caught a bobcat on one of our cameras. They either got eaten or just stayed away or hidden away.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:14 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Our backyard birds disappeared for several weeks in September-early October. We really wondered about it, then happened across an article explaining that in the window after nesting season and before winter/migration, many birds molt. They hide in trees or shrubbery for several weeks until their new feathers grow in. And sure enough, our phoebes and bluebirds showed up again, looking motley and a little the worse for wear, but alive and well. So depending on where you live (we’re in SoCal), this may be going on. We’ll remember that early fall is molting season here.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:21 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Canadian Geese have arrived in WA and OR. Green Cheetos will be everywhere.
Lots of gray and red squirrels around. The local dogs are mostly retrievers and mellow towards wild life and other urban citters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature