Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 4,516,151 times

Advertisements

In addition to our Spring Mountain race track, we do have a dirt track - I believe the season runs April thru October, but I could be wrong. Track is located down the street from the DMV, just off Basin.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dirt-track1.jpg   Nye County-dirt-track2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Hwy 372 is a relatively short street out here. It starts basically at the 2nd stoplight, the other end....well, the # itself ends at the California border, but the road itself dead ends at Shoshone, California.

From the stoplight to the border is approximately ~15 minutes, ~30 minutes to the town of Shoshone. As you can see the pavement is MUCH smoother on the NV side of the border The mountains I have pictured are very much on the California side of the border & are FABULOUS to see when covered in snow. When we get snow I will be sure to get these mountains in some more pix.

I didn't get pix of them, but for some strange reason there is a small cluster of homes that appear to be on the California side of the border. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would want to build/pay the taxes to live on the California side of the border - you obviously are visiting NV stores for your day to day living, why not just move your house 10 ft to be on the NV side of the border????
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02361.jpg   Nye County-dsc02363.jpg   Nye County-dsc02362.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would want to build/pay the taxes to live on the California side of the border
I find these comments humorous, the difference in total tax burden between California and Nevada is 2.4% on an income of $100,000 per year one would save $2,400, not much. Now, because Nevada property tax is much higher than CA, if one is on a limited income, one may actually save money by owning in CA compared to NV.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Ahh Pahrump. Where the cowboys who used to populate the NW have gone.

Home of the last of the Nevada libertarians. Pahrump refuses to form any form of government even though that leaves them being run out of Tonopah.

Redneck raised to high art. Whatever they are against it..

Only thing that Pahrump favors heavily is that they should be left alone.

There is a disclosure with ever Pahrump real estate sale that you should drill your well at least 100 feet deeper than the water level...that is because the water level is dropping two feet a year.

The water situation is likely unsolvable. The only other aquifer they might tap is contaminated by the test site. So the only real way to do it is to conserve...but that would stop growth pretty much. So the standard Nevada solution...dig your well deeper until it becomes cost prohibitive to pump the water.

Nice people - have spent a number of nice visits including a fourth of july that was quite nice and laid back.

Pretty good feed at the winery....Las Vegas prices.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:09 PM

Pahrump is not for everyone. Hearing about us on the tv doesn't give you the full story. Once you stay here for a bit, some of the things we do actually makes sense - yes we have our own crackpot people in town with their own agendas, doesn't every town have some of those?

I have many reasons for staying here - I can see the stars at night; I know my neighbors; we have a sense of community out here & we support whomever is in need; I can sleep with my doors unlocked/my windows open; I can be in the mountains in 15 minutes; we don't have murders every week; the town is big enough that you know a lot of people but not so small that they know every part of your business.

It's a different way of life out here, it may not be right for you but it is for me.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I find these comments humorous, the difference in total tax burden between California and Nevada is 2.4% on an income of $100,000 per year one would save $2,400, not much. Now, because Nevada property tax is much higher than CA, if one is on a limited income, one may actually save money by owning in CA compared to NV.
Nah - The tax burden is calculated on average taxes and average income. The average income in CA is about 43K. So a 100K taxpayer will pay a whole lot more...double or triple.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nah - The tax burden is calculated on average taxes and average income. The average income in CA is about 43K. So a 100K taxpayer will pay a whole lot more...double or triple.
Property tax ain't.

I can tell you, having paid taxes in Nevada and in California, I don't see much difference, except in Property tax which is much less in CA.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Here's an interesting compilation by a Realtor in the Lake Tahoe area:

Owning Property in California vs. Nevada

Sorry to contribute to the drifting of this thread.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Property tax ain't.

I can tell you, having paid taxes in Nevada and in California, I don't see much difference, except in Property tax which is much less in CA.
Nonsense on at least two levels.

On two newly purchased properties the taxes in Nevada will invariably be less.

Two equivalent houses in much of CA and much of Nevada will differ in value by a factor of 4 or 5.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM

I suggest you compare the property tax rates of CA and NV.

CA is 1% of assessed value

Most of Nevada is over 3%

You are talking about value, I am not. It would be silly to base a comparison of tax rates on value.

(I think you are wrong on your equivalent houses too, My guess is you have not looked at real estate in Reno/Sparks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada