Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,911 times

Advertisements

I came across this site by accident. Plainfield High School's Class of 1963 is having its 50 year reunion this October 19 (Not in Plainfield) I remember riding my new English racing bike everywhere ~ West side to East side. My family moved to North Plainfield in 1965. Until hearing about the Reunion I hadn't given a thought about what was once a wonderful place to grow up. Now we are actively seeking graduates missing in action.

Johanna Marshall, our reunion maven (expert) is committed to bring as many of us together; possibly for the last time. As a almost 68 year old aluma with cancer, I recognize now how important memories can be. Johanna can be reached at [email]marshalljohanna@gmail.com[/email].

One of our class we can't find a trace of is MILEVA (VICKI) MEIROWITZ who lived on Westervelt Avenue. Another is Arthur D. Brown who went Emerson Scool, then Maxon and on to PHS. I hop someone on the thread can help us find them and other PHS 1963 alumna.

It's been a long time saying ~ LET'S GO CARDINALS

MARION (TOBY) KAULMAN now TOBY KOCH

Last edited by Toby Koch; 08-20-2013 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,413 times
My family is from plainfield going back very far. My parents are buried in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the country. Hillside cemetery. In reading the posts my Great grandfather and grandfather owned and operated Blairs Mens shop on front street. It was pretty much gone by the time I was old enough to know what was going on. But I do remember going to see santa around xmas shortly before it closed in the early 1970s plainfield will always be home. Very sad what happend to a perfect city. We moved out in the late 1970s, my parents were getting tierd of paying for private schools. Wardlaw, and Hartridge. Ed

Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM

26 posts, read 56,920 times
I have stupid and probably naive questions. Why the dramatic change didn't happen in Westfield or Summit? And will it likely happen there in future?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM

400 posts, read 793,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand St View Post
I have stupid and probably naive questions. Why the dramatic change didn't happen in Westfield or Summit? And will it likely happen there in future?
I agree. Being born in 1991, this is all news to me. Definitely curious to see pictures of the past, but why did it affect Plainfield and not other towns?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand St View Post
A couple of major employers moved out of Plainfield, and the surrounding areas. Mack Trucks, Buffalo Tanks, R Hoe, Art Color in Dunellen not to mention the thousands that used to work at Bakelite, GAF, Calco in Bound Brook and leaving many semi skilled workers out of a job.

It's the same all over the country, major manufactures move on and leave their semi skilled workers jobless. After the unemployment expires people get desperate and crime follows.

Westfield and Summit did not have those major manufacturers closing shop.

Manufacturing in Central NJ is dead and those companies used to employ thousands that now can't find decent paying jobs.

Not making any excuses for those who chose to riot but desperate/stupid people do desperate deeds.

Of course Plainfield now has midnight pharmaceutical vendors making Plainfield a place where many choose not to live.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
A couple of major employers moved out of Plainfield, and the surrounding areas. Mack Trucks, Buffalo Tanks, R Hoe, Art Color in Dunellen not to mention the thousands that used to work at Bakelite, GAF, Calco in Bound Brook and leaving many semi skilled workers out of a job.

It's the same all over the country, major manufactures move on and leave their semi skilled workers jobless. After the unemployment expires people get desperate and crime follows.

Manufacturing in Central NJ is dead and those companies used to employ thousands that now can't find decent paying jobs.

Not making any excuses for those who chose to riot but desperate/stupid people do desperate deeds.

Of course Plainfield now has midnight pharmaceutical vendors making Plainfield a place where many choose not to live.
That's one way of putting it.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,972 times
Quote:
Plainfield was at one time the Queen city (until) the riots in the 60's.
1967 Plainfield riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=12329840
http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/...amily_a_b.html

Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 56,920 times
Quote:

Thanks for the information. It is appalling to people like me who were born decades after that and possibly not even heard of it. I wish it will never happen again (hopefully).

Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
Anyone recall the Mayfair Supermarket on Front Street, East side, just as you got into town? The Seven Up Bottling Company on Second Street (where I won the Halloween picture window painting contest while in 7th grade)?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
I worked at Teppers and Bambergers and was always hanging out at Grunings and the Frontier Diner! It was so nice before the riots of 69!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey