Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town would be better for raising a family and working in NYC
Haworth 1 16.67%
Harrington Park 0 0%
Glen Rock 2 33.33%
Ridgewood 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 46,438 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Why not Glen Rock? Just curious. Additionally, do you think its better or worse than Ridgewood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqesq2000 View Post
Thank you. Why not Glen Rock? Just curious. Additionally, do you think its better or worse than Ridgewood?
Glen Rock wants to be Ridgewood, but it isn't.

Also, this is just my opinion, but as much as people talk about Ridgewood being snobbish, I was doing some work in Glen Rock a few years ago and I was kind of shocked at the snoot factor going on there. I was doing some part-time work covering local events for a small newspaper and it was really weird--did you ever see a TV show or movie where someone gives someone else an exaggerated up-and-down look and then kind of lift their chin and walk away as if something smelled bad? Well, I saw Glen Rock people DO that to one another. This was a town-wide boy/girl scouting event with veteran's groups. It was a small town that has become infused with newcomer money over the past decade or so, and the wealthier people were sort of herding their children away from the older townies. That was about six or seven years ago, but I know someone in an administrative position in one of the schools, too, and she sees this all the time.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

96 posts, read 350,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqesq2000 View Post
Years ago, I had an office on Harristown Road in Glen Rock and I could never understand the condescending attitudes I would encounter on an almost daily basis. Whether I was having lunch at a local eatery or walking to my car in the parking lot, the people always left me cold. I've lived in Ho Ho Kus which is a fairly well to do community and never experienced anything like the Glen Rock vibe.

I will certainly take some heat for this, but I am not a fan of some of the bordering towns. I also don't find Glen Rock to be a very pretty place.

All that said, the schools are very good and it is a hop, skip and jump to Ridgewood's wonderful downtown.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J1968 View Post
Years ago, I had an office on Harristown Road in Glen Rock and I could never understand the condescending attitudes I would encounter on an almost daily basis. Whether I was having lunch at a local eatery or walking to my car in the parking lot, the people always left me cold. I've lived in Ho Ho Kus which is a fairly well to do community and never experienced anything like the Glen Rock vibe.

I will certainly take some heat for this, but I am not a fan of some of the bordering towns. I also don't find Glen Rock to be a very pretty place.

All that said, the schools are very good and it is a hop, skip and jump to Ridgewood's wonderful downtown.
That pretty much matches my experience as outlined in my post above and what my friend who works in the school says she encounters in Glen Rock as well. She in a rather high position, which I wouldn't want to mention as it could identify her, so she deals with the Glen Rock parents on a day-to-day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey