Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:02 AM

284 posts, read 618,809 times

Advertisements

I had tried not to post in some of the recent discussions on Christie. Then my 5th grader came home one day and told me that her 5th grade class was very angry at Chris Christie (she called him by name), they were told because of Chris Christie they will not be going for one field trip. Obviously, the idea came from the teachers.

Then I read a magazine (NJ??) while waiting in the dentist office and one of the topics was on teachers losing respect. I thought this is very low for the teachers to brainwash our kids. I explained to her about the economy and I was so tempted to tell her that the 'teachers" should not be telling a one-sided story.

In general, while I understand there are bad apples, but I believe the administrators are the culprit of the problem. I can never imagine anyone worth the name of a professional can be so low. I certainly do not respect those teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 AM

20,391 posts, read 20,033,813 times
No teacher should be politically indoctrinating their students.

I'd be placing a polite call to the prinicipal and superintendent to request they remind them of that.

Since your child is only a 5th grader, just simply explain to you child that NJ's broke, NJ's citizens are the highest taxed in the US and that there's no such thing as a good money fairy that can keep the status quo continuing on in perpetuity.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 AM

858 posts, read 710,431 times
I agree that the teacher shouldn't be saying that in class but I also wonder how many kids are told by their parents that the reason there's no field trip is that teachers stole the parent's money. it's the same thing but i bet that happens more often

Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 AM

877 posts, read 2,850,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
No teacher should be politically indoctrinating their students.

I'd be placing a polite call to the prinicipal and superintendent to request they remind them of that.

Since your child is only a 5th grader, just simply explain to you child that NJ's broke, NJ's citizens are the highest taxed in the US and that there's no such thing as a good money fairy that can keep the status quo continuing on in perpetuity.
For many many years teachers have been whining about not making a lot of money. And when I was in college, they kept saying it is the most noble profession in the world and that nobody got anywhere without a teacher.

The whole teaching profession has become like a cult in this state. That teacher ought to shut his/her face because those still employed did not take any cuts, at the expense of keeping non-tenured newbies. People in virtually every other profession took a cut. Why do teachers feel they should get special treatment?

I hope we keep Christie as our governor. He is the only one who will save this state from turning into Post WWII Berlin. New Jersey has taken a hit from overspending and is now trillions of dollars in debt, suffering from years of corruption.

Any good respectable teacher would not give biased lessons to students, especially concerning politics. That teacher is an idiot.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 AM

20,391 posts, read 20,033,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I agree that the teacher shouldn't be saying that in class but I also wonder how many kids are told by their parents that the reason there's no field trip is that teachers stole the parent's money. it's the same thing but i bet that happens more often
What parents tell their own children about politics, religion and so on is nobody's business but their own.

It's not the business of state workers or politicians to assume that role.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 AM

858 posts, read 710,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
What parents tell their own children about politics, religion and so on is nobody's business but their own.

It's not the business of state workers or politicians to assume that role.

well what I meant is that it is a complicated issue with not one side being totally at fault. To represent it that way from a parent or a teacher is wrong either way..especially to a 5th grader who really has no understanding of the issues. My feeling is to let them make their own decisions when they are ready rather than indoctrine them into my point of view...and that goes for both sides.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 AM

912 posts, read 2,453,832 times
I'd send a polite e-mail to the principal about the situation and also ask a BOE member if the district has any official policy on political proselytizing in the classroom. Some districts have it, some don't.

The teacher could have just slipped and made an off-the-cuff remark, or he/she could be saying stuff like this all time and is flying under the radar because we're dealing with fifth graders here. That said, I'd love to sit in on a history lesson and see how it's being re-invented in that classroom.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,424,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
I had tried not to post in some of the recent discussions on Christie. Then my 5th grader came home one day and told me that her 5th grade class was very angry at Chris Christie (she called him by name), they were told because of Chris Christie they will not be going for one field trip. Obviously, the idea came from the teachers.

Then I read a magazine (NJ??) while waiting in the dentist office and one of the topics was on teachers losing respect. I thought this is very low for the teachers to brainwash our kids. I explained to her about the economy and I was so tempted to tell her that the 'teachers" should not be telling a one-sided story.

In general, while I understand there are bad apples, but I believe the administrators are the culprit of the problem. I can never imagine anyone worth the name of a professional can be so low. I certainly do not respect those teachers.
I agree because of this one incident teachers have fallen to the level of ummm..........SERIAL KILLERS!!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 PM

284 posts, read 618,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I agree because of this one incident teachers have fallen to the level of ummm..........SERIAL KILLERS!!
I am not sure whether I would compare those teachers to serial killers, but if you think they are,who am I to argue with you?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,909,604 times
First, to the OP, It's great that your daughter talks to you about these things. Many parents have no idea what kids are talking about in school. But, in reply to your post.

You say “obviously the idea came from her teachers.” Did you ask her? I ask because you didn’t say, “she said her teachers told her they aren’t going on field trips this year because of Chris Christie.” You are assuming that’s what happened.

But let’s say that is what her teachers said. Many people do believe that what is happening in our schools this year is a direct result of cutting more than $800M in school aid - Larger classes, pay to play, etc. Ultimately it was the Governor who did it. Regardless of why he did it, those cuts had a huge impact on schools. Yes the BOE’s had a role. Voters had a role. But ultimately the majority of the cuts are because of that $800M.

Last year my 5th graders came to me upset that some of their favorite teachers had been fired. I explained that the Governor cut money that normally goes to schools to save government money. In order to help the state government, everyone has to give something up or pay more in taxes. In our districts case, we are giving up teachers. I asked the students to think about times they have had to choose how to spend money - maybe birthday money or allowance. The government is the same way – they have to make choices. I was teaching about how difficult it is for a government to determine how to spend tax money. They walked out of my class angry at the governor that day. Did I come out and tell them that the teachers were fired because of Governor Christie. No, not even close but in their world there is always an evil villain. Did they learn about civics, math, economics and government? Yes.

To the OP I say, make this your teachable moment. Talk about the power of persuasion. Ask your daughter to think about how it is that the governor could affect her field trip. No one can brain wash your child as well as you can. And I mean that. My daughter is a mini me. I have already influenced her perceptions on smoking, eating, friendship, money. Everyday she tells me what happens at school and I adjust and challenge her perceptions. In fact, I don’t always agree with the way her teacher does things but I know that her behavior in school will be best if she respects adults (don't get me wrong, I will talk to administration if I feel that something is severely wrong). I’ve seen what happens to kids whose parents don’t value education. Yes, your child learns in school and hopefully she will learn to make her own decisions. Right now she is only 10. Make this YOUR teachable moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: