Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM

79 posts, read 153,146 times

Advertisements

And I would like to throw this at the forum as well, what about Westfield/Cranford Vs. Chatham/Madison??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petenaff View Post
And I would like to throw this at the forum as well, what about Westfield/Cranford Vs. Chatham/Madison??
I can only respond to Westfield/Cranford. I am going to say that they are essentially very similar in terms of people/schools/vibe. I think going back to the original poster's question, downtown Westfield is a little busier in the evenings, especially in the summer with many options for eating outside, yogurt, jazz nights, concerts. I meet up with friends at least 2-3 times a week for lunch or coffee downtown Westfield during the school year, and do a lot of shoppipng there, and it's prettty lively year-round.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM

280 posts, read 603,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petenaff View Post

From my limited stay-at-home mom's perspective, I find Chatham/Madison Main Streets, or as they happen to be, town centers, to be very non-engaging during weekdays. I would almost dare to say - boring. But comparing apples with apples, whenever I travel to Westfield/Cranford, I find more memorable things to do and find it's easier to chat with people, usually at ice-cream places. Even during weekdays, the latter towns seem more upbeat and buzzing.

Interestingly, I find ice-cream places to be a good testing ground for the vibe of the town. Not once did anyone ever seem approachable in Chatham, however, EVERYTIME I've been in Cranford, we had a jolly good old time talking with the locals. Go figure.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 153,146 times
Thanks for your insight ResearchMom. I haven't been to DT Cranford but found Westfield DT certainly has the vibe and is filled with energy. In comparison, Madison/Chatham DT are definitely more laid back even on the weekend. I probably would not want to live in Cranford for fear of the flooding though.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 1,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Have you found a town that you are happy with?

Would you say that all of the following towns compare the same (Mendham vs Chatham/Madison vs Millburn/Summit vs Ridgewood/Glen Rock vs Glen Ridge vs Westfield)?
Are you still in Mendham 11 years later? We moved here 5 years ago with teenagers and feel the same way. Would love to meet some like-minded people and hang out.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 1,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerize View Post
We've had the same experience in Mendham-- "not interested in forming friendships, only scheduled relations" -- and can't explain it. We've made a few friends, but miss the kind of relationships you're talking about. If you're not heavily into sports, you don't fit in. That aspect of life here has been a disappointment for us.
We feel the same way. This post was many years ago, and assuming you all had young kids then, I am wondering if you are still here and found your "tribe"? We moved here 5 years ago (to Mendham) with teenagers, and it has not been easy. I still don't feel like I have many connections, or people to just hang out with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey