Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 64,955 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow morning, I will be attempting to receive my license. I was looking through all the things I needed, just to make sure I have it all ready, when I came across something that made me very nervous. When I went to get my permit about one year ago, my driving teacher said that we didn't have to worry about the vision test, and that he'd take care of it all for me. When I received my permit, I noticed it said that I had failed my vision test. When I asked him why it said that, he said it doesn't mean anything, just say that I wear contacts when I go to take my test. So here I am, the day before my test, looking over things when I notice on the DMV site that I need a form filled out by my doctor. I was never told I needed this form until I saw it today. What really angers me is my vision is near perfect, so I don't need contact lenses or glasses, yet I need to say that I am wearing contacts. I was wondering if I go tomorrow and say I am wearing contacts and I don't have the form, am I basically SOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
If your vision is near perfect, why not just take the vision test?? And why does the permit say you failed the vision test- did you? If so, maybe your vision isn't as "near perfect" as you think.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 PM

I never took the vision test. "my driving teacher said that we didn't have to worry about the vision test, and that he'd take care of it all for me. When I received my permit, I noticed it said that I had failed my vision test."

I am going to pass the test and then ask to retake the vision test. That is my plan as of right now.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Honestly, I don't understand how you got a permit in the first place if you failed your vision test. I know you didn't actually take the test, but if the permit said you failed it, I can't understand how you got a permit in the first place. In any event, if it comes up, I'd just explain to them that you never took the vision test, never noticed that it said you failed it, and see what happens- kind of a "play dumb" concept.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Ha, alright thanks. You can still get a permit if you fail the vision test, you just need to wear glasses. I called up my driving teacher and he said that they will be too lazy to even notice/care. I should be fine.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebron15 View Post
Ha, alright thanks. You can still get a permit if you fail the vision test, you just need to wear glasses. I called up my driving teacher and he said that they will be too lazy to even notice/care. I should be fine.
This is all extremely weird...why didn't you wear your contacts for the first vision test? I mean do you plan on driving without wearing anything corrective? I don't think that could possibly be it, or I sure hope not, but I can't imagine why else you'd take the driving test without your contacts in. Didn't you tell the tester that you normally wear contacts/glasses?

When I took my test I had to wear my glasses. It gets noted on one's license if corrective lenses are required--so if you *are* planning on driving around without anything that makes you able to see and not kill anybody, be warned that if you get pulled over and it's determined that you're going visual commando, bad bad things happen.

In any event, your instructor sounds a little "off" and unconcerned and frankly...I'd just wear the darned things when you go in case they decide to test you again...which, with a failed test on record and no passed test, I'm betting they will.

Anyway, good luck on the test.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 42,903 times
Default NJ Vision Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebron15 View Post
Tomorrow morning, I will be attempting to receive my license. I was looking through all the things I needed, just to make sure I have it all ready, when I came across something that made me very nervous. When I went to get my permit about one year ago, my driving teacher said that we didn't have to worry about the vision test, and that he'd take care of it all for me. When I received my permit, I noticed it said that I had failed my vision test. When I asked him why it said that, he said it doesn't mean anything, just say that I wear contacts when I go to take my test. So here I am, the day before my test, looking over things when I notice on the DMV site that I need a form filled out by my doctor. I was never told I needed this form until I saw it today. What really angers me is my vision is near perfect, so I don't need contact lenses or glasses, yet I need to say that I am wearing contacts. I was wondering if I go tomorrow and say I am wearing contacts and I don't have the form, am I basically SOL?
Does anyone know where on the DMV website (or anywhere else for that matter), where the form can be obtained? My optometrist told me to get it, he would fill it out, and the form would be used instead of the actual DMV vision test. Help!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
I don't "get" why you guys don't just take the test and pass.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 42,903 times
If you have near sight vision in one eye, and far sight vision in the other, as my daughter does, the equipment at DMV is not designed to test your eyes separately. Tested separately, her vision meets the State standards, but fails the test. Now, since their test can only be superceded by a licensed optometrist, do you (or anyone) know where to obtain the form? This is not needed to "beat the test". Thanx.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeeguy View Post
If you have near sight vision in one eye, and far sight vision in the other, as my daughter does, the equipment at DMV is not designed to test your eyes separately. Tested separately, her vision meets the State standards, but fails the test. Now, since their test can only be superceded by a licensed optometrist, do you (or anyone) know where to obtain the form? This is not needed to "beat the test". Thanx.

why don't you try Motor Vehicle Commission, or visit one of their offices and ask them for the form?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey