Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 21,859 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Highland Park, NJ with 2 of my 'friends'. We rent a 2 bedrooom, 2nd/3rd story house: the rent (incl. utilities) is split 3 equal ways. All of our names are on the lease. I have one bedroom, they share the other one because they're a couple.
here's the story...
the couple suddenly decides they can't afford the rent and want to sublet the apartment. They want to be out by the end of the month (in 2 weeks!)and get their security deposit back. The landlord agrees and interviews possible candidates all without my knowlege...she informs me, I tell her forget it cuz my roomies didn't tell me and I wasn't going to live w/ strangers they found online.
I'm trying to find people I know, but we're all not from here (CT) and it's hard especially with only 2 weeks. AND I'd have to get 2 more roomates to cover the cost, but there's only one bedroom besides mine.
The landlord says I'm not obligated to agree to live with whoever the couple finds because my name is on the lease and I'll ultimately be living with them.

I want more time to find people I know because I want to stay and can afford the 1/3 rent I have been paying. Don't they owe everyone (myself and landlords) at leadt 30 days notice before making any changes to the agreement??
What are my options? Consequenses and worst case senarios???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Generally I would say yes, they do owe at least 30 days but since the landlord is already involved that makes it iffy. I know you don't want to live with strangers, but the more pressing point might be if they can't find anyone in two weeks are you going to be expected to cover the rent alone or will your roomates still be responsible until their room is subletted?

Maybe you can talk with the landlord and see if she/he will let you meet some of potential renters beforehand. Otherwise, your only option might be to move as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
This sounds like a very extreme situation. First off, during a lease you usually can not break it. If they end the lease without penality, then there really is no laws after that since it rarely happens like your situation. From what I see in this situation, I would say to either get them to stay somehow or sadly find a new place to live because living with strangers can be very tough, especially in such a small place. They should have given you notice, but that is somewhat of an unwritten rule in this situation. It is "messed up" what they did but other than that, I do not think it would have much standing in court since the landlord is letting them out of the lease.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM

the landlord says unless they find people I approve of they will not get their security deposit back....
bottom line- we have to find sublets unless we want to forfiet all of our security deposits and I know they financially cannot afford that.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130HP View Post
the landlord says unless they find people I approve of they will not get their security deposit back....
bottom line- we have to find sublets unless we want to forfiet all of our security deposits and I know they financially cannot afford that.
Your best bet is to post on Craigslist. Most exposure for least amount of money.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Your best bet is to post on Craigslist. Most exposure for least amount of money.
Yeah, they already went that route and had prosepective tenants checking out the place without me knowing. The landlord had to tell me because she had enough common sense not to mention courtesey.

He already said "I just could have taken the deposit and you would have had to live with him", I corrected him and said "no, I have more say in this and have to approve of whoever it is."

....no backbone, that's what I say.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
This is honestly, my candid opinion of living with strangers vs living with friends.

Don't. Ever. Live. With. Friends.

I've done it, and I don't recommend it - stuff like what youre going through right now creates problems, problems not worth having to put up with.

I say interview the strangers, make sure you'll get along, and go that route instead.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,152 times
are the couples names also on the lease? Will they be subletting (ie lease still in their name but different people live there and either pay them or the landlord directly)? or is the landlord drawing up a new lease? If he's drawing up a new lease, you simply move somewhere else and don't sign it. If its a sublet situation, that's a little tougher to figure out.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
are the couples names also on the lease? Will they be subletting (ie lease still in their name but different people live there and either pay them or the landlord directly)? or is the landlord drawing up a new lease? If he's drawing up a new lease, you simply move somewhere else and don't sign it. If its a sublet situation, that's a little tougher to figure out.
Yes, all 3 of our names are on it.

I can't simply move out without jepoardizing my security deposit. they need theirs back to move.

I think if "we" find 2 sublets, they will have to pay the security deposit and the couple gets theirs back. They will pay the monthly rate just as the couple did. I don't think my terms change.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
If I were the landlord, I would let them break their lease only if you all can find suitable replacements. If it cannot be done in 2 weeks, then I'd keep the sec deposit to cover the rent until the end of the year and allow you to find the roommates. I think it's only fair that everyone is in agreement since they are breaking their contract. Of course, what I think doesn't matter! Good luck! Please let us know how you make out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey