Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 09:19 PM

272 posts, read 785,147 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice and travel information.
I'll be heading out to the MSC Training Center East on business.
I'll be staying at Ft. Monmouth.
I'd like to take the train to visit family in Central PA on a weekend.

What is the best way to get to Ft. Monmouth from the Newark airport?
How long is this drive?

What is the best way to get to the MSC Training Center East [near Freehold] from Ft. Monmouth...a long drive?

And what about trains from the Ft. Monmouth/Freehold area headed out to Central PA...? Amtrak....good? Or is it better to drive? Cost of gas, roads...winter weather....? Traffic?

What are some nice places to see, good restaurants, deli's etc in the Ft. Monmouth / Freehold area? What are the good local historical sights to see and the bad areas to avoid?

Lots of questions I know...but I'm looking for some advice...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,978,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice and travel information.
I'll be heading out to the MSC Training Center East on business.
I'll be staying at Ft. Monmouth.
I'd like to take the train to visit family in Central PA on a weekend.

What is the best way to get to Ft. Monmouth from the Newark airport?
How long is this drive?

What is the best way to get to the MSC Training Center East [near Freehold] from Ft. Monmouth...a long drive?

And what about trains from the Ft. Monmouth/Freehold area headed out to Central PA...? Amtrak....good? Or is it better to drive? Cost of gas, roads...winter weather....? Traffic?

What are some nice places to see, good restaurants, deli's etc in the Ft. Monmouth / Freehold area? What are the good local historical sights to see and the bad areas to avoid?

Lots of questions I know...but I'm looking for some advice...
Thanks!
trains, no direct service to central pa from monmouth county, maybe if you take a train to NY you can get one there, or you could drive it in a few hours.
it takes about an hour from the post to newark airport, take the parkway north to the turnpike.
I don't know where your training center is but it should take less than 30 minutes to get to the freehold area,
places to stay away from, asbury, parts of long branch even parts of red bank can be dicey.
good food can be found in red bank, some of the old line italian restaurants in long branch are good. you are close to the beaches and towns like belmar have some night life.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 PM

181 posts, read 1,123,222 times
Default Transportion

It will be a long Haul from Monmouth County Which From Asbury Park you can get a bus to Philadelphia and Septa Train to 30th st station to get the Amtrak train(if you can handle a 4 hour bus ride) or Train from Red Bank to Rahway and Trenton train to either Metropark, New Brunswick or Trenton depending on the stops on the Amtrak train to Central Pa or Just go to Newark Penn Station and get the Amtrak train there. You can get to Asbury Park or Red Bank from Fort Mon. using the bus. It would be better driving but this would be way to get there if you do not drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey