Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:26 PM

130 posts, read 290,613 times

Advertisements

After ten years in the South I want to move back to NJ in the worst way but am starting to get case of cold feet due to fear of high and rising property taxes. I've seen some decent looking, affordable small homes on gsmls.com with reasonable (for NJ) property taxes that are doable for me right now. My fear is that if I move back, in 10-15 years time, the now 'reasonable' property taxes will have skyrocketed and not be manageable. I don't want to move back only to have to move away again in 10-15 years because of even higher property taxes that I won't be able to afford someday. The other part of that fear is wondering if I will be stuck with a house that I will have a very difficult time selling because of the high taxes in the state. There seems to be such an exodus to NC and other parts south because of the higher cost of living in NJ and fear of it becoming more expensive that I'm almost becoming scared off of buying anything now. Has anyone moved back to NJ only to move away again because of the high taxes? Or have they really regretted their move back? Or were the high taxes enough to sway people's minds to move elsewhere instead of moving back to NJ. If so, where did they go and were they happy settling for someplace less expensive. Or has anyone moved back despite the high taxes, is happy with their decision and feels that even though taxes may increaase, it will be at a reasonable and manageable amount that they'll be able to afford it in their retirement years without having to flee to the Carolinas. There's no place like home and I want to come home to NJ but just don't know if I'll be able to stay there in 10-15 years time if taxes keep rising. Anyone else experience this feeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 PM

36 posts, read 139,293 times
I can understand the "there's no place like home" sentiment, but honestly if I did were not living in the NY-metro area because of work, and if I were already settled somewhere else with gainful employment, I would not move back. The cost of living around here doesn't justify living here unless you need to for work.

Maybe use some of your extra money to take a few trips to the area each year to indulge your nostalgia without moving back here ...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,567 times
My father moved south and then moved back. Yes, the cost of living is rough but he doesn't complain much about it because he is happy to be back. Every area has it's issues and I guess for him, being "home" was worth the extra expense

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj_guy1975 View Post
The cost of living around here doesn't justify living here unless you need to for work.
That goes right along with my fear of 'what if' when it comes to retirement age. I don't want to turn 70 years old someday for example and not be able to afford the taxes on my house then have to move South again (or somewhere else where it's must less expensive). I'm very disillusioned with living in the South. It's not as cheap as folks are led to believe. Salaries and wages are very low in comparison even though the housing is less expensive. Yes, the property taxes are lower but there are other costs involved - vehicle tax, HOA dues, good ole hurricane insurance (wind and hail - it's not called hurriance insurance anymore) - that quickly add up and it's not as inexpensive as folks are led to believe. The bills keep coming but the salaries are very low and opportunities just aren't there so it becomes much more expensive than folks ever realize. A large part of me wants to come back to NJ for the higher salaries, better opportunities, etc. so that I can make some money to stash away for retirement but am afraid I won't be able to stay in the long term once I do get there because of the high taxes. In a way I feel caught between a rock and a hard place.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3 View Post
My father moved south and then moved back. Yes, the cost of living is rough but he doesn't complain much about it because he is happy to be back. Every area has it's issues and I guess for him, being "home" was worth the extra expense
Yes, that's so true - every area does have it's issues. I really think that "home" would be worth the extra expense for me but I'm so afraid that I won't be able to manage the high property taxes if they keep rising once I get near retirement age. I'm afraid of what will happen in time and if I will get 'taxed out of state' because it will become too expensive when I get into retirement. I don't want to move back home to NJ just to have to move back South again in time but at the same time, I'm almost afraid not to make the move back home because there's such limited opportunities where I'm living now.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
Well it depends on alot of things. Do you have immediate family here, do you have a job lined up and do you want to rent or buy. I was supposed to go to Delaware today to see houses early in the morning but the wife doesn't want to pack in and leave. It's hard to just move and you have your fors and againsts on the forum. Some people will say they left and didn't and won't turn back. Some can't wait to come home because it wasn't all the grass is greener in another state syndrome. Thats up to you because I'm going thru the same thing for at least a year. But my thing is moving several hours away to Delaware and we flip flop weekly if not daily. Every time we disagree with a new tax or policy we want to move. Then we see our kids on the weekends come home from college and we love it here. I guess this a New Jersey DING a love and hate relationship. Anyways good luck we have 3 or 4 posters on here that couldn't wait to get back here. Jersey Man

Old 03-02-2008, 04:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well it depends on alot of things. Do you have immediate family here, do you have a job lined up and do you want to rent or buy. I was supposed to go to Delaware today to see houses early in the morning but the wife doesn't want to pack in and leave. It's hard to just move and you have your fors and againsts on the forum. Some people will say they left and didn't and won't turn back. Some can't wait to come home because it wasn't all the grass is greener in another state syndrome. Thats up to you because I'm going thru the same thing for at least a year. But my thing is moving several hours away to Delaware and we flip flop weekly if not daily. Every time we disagree with a new tax or policy we want to move. Then we see our kids on the weekends come home from college and we love it here. I guess this a New Jersey DING a love and hate relationship. Anyways good luck we have 3 or 4 posters on here that couldn't wait to get back here. Jersey Man
JM - I've got to believe you DON'T have to pay the taxes you are paying on your house. They seem excessive, even for Jersey (I think you said your house is something like 2700 sq ft?). Why not move to another town with more reasonable taxes? My house is a similar size and I'm telling you, I'm nowhere NEAR your rate, nowhere near 70% of your rate in fact.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,646 times
back2jersey,

I would take the risk and head back to Jersey if I were you. I know what you mean about the south. It is a different world. Currently in Jacksonville, I long to get back to the northeast, I don't care how cold it is. The northern culture is worth the cold and the taxes.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
The northern culture is worth the cold and the taxes.
AMEN!!!!!

Go back to where you'll be happiest and just make it work for you. Take care of the now and ease into the future as it happens.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
JM - I've got to believe you DON'T have to pay the taxes you are paying on your house. They seem excessive, even for Jersey (I think you said your house is something like 2700 sq ft?). Why not move to another town with more reasonable taxes? My house is a similar size and I'm telling you, I'm nowhere NEAR your rate, nowhere near 70% of your rate in fact.
DM coming your way. JM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey