Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM

29 posts, read 28,229 times

Advertisements

How Council Meeting in cities (NJ) look like? I assume it's open to public but please correct me if there are any limitations. Are agendas only subjects that are presented or each is discussed and residents have "real voice" before decisions are made?
Does such meetings look similar in every city or may be quite different? Are they worth to participate for average resident (someone who wants to know what's going on in the city as well as have some influence over decision that concerns him/her and quality of life at least in her/his neighborhood) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,311 times
It varies by town/city. Your best route is to check the city website AND call or visit to ask for the details.

In general, your influence may be minimal, but attending some to understand the process and things that are happening is valuable.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:41 AM

19,142 posts, read 25,360,326 times
In addition to HalfFull's helpful advice, I will add the reality that public city council meetings are merely the culmination of all of the lobbying/deal-making/decision-making that has already taken place behind closed doors. Yes, you will be able to see how the various council members vote at that open meeting, but thinking that your comments will change their already-decided votes is...unrealistic.

I have taken the oppportunity to speak at City Council meetings in regard to issues that are not up for a vote that night, in the hope (perhaps, in vain...) that my comments might help to inform council members, and--possibly--influence their decisions at some point in the future. However, on the night of a city council meeting, all of the decisions have already been made, and their voting at that public session is not going to be altered by any comments that you might make that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey