Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM

125 posts, read 116,191 times

Advertisements

How do I move a car that has been parked at a storage in NJ to a private residence in order to sell it? The reason of the car relocation is because the person showing the car for sale lives almost two hours away. (Note the person selling the car is not the owner just a friend helping out) This is the reason why the car needs to be moved to his home. but the registration is expired, this car was bought in PA and never registered in NJ. All is available is the car title. I dont think its safe to drive the car with the expired registration from storage to private residence.

Would the registration need to renewed in Pennsylvania in order to sell it in New jersey?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,684,646 times
Tow truck.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,533,050 times
It would be best to tow it, either with a trailer, or tow truck. Don't forget you'd be driving and unregistered, uninsured, and possibly fictitious plates. 2 hours is a long drive. Try going to Uship and see what kind of offers you get, call some towing companies, U-haul can rent a truck and a towing rig, (you drive the front wheels of the car onto the tow rig). Then the tow rig is the registered vehicle. Price it all out.
Or if you know someone in the auto business with a dealer plate that works too.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:29 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,599,915 times
Yep if you get caught, pulled over for any reason and the car is uninsured its like a mandatory year I think that you lose your license and your insurance would go way up for being suspended and things snowball from there.

Tow truck, find a friend who has like long distance AAA towing or something, that would be cheapest.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:41 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,229,843 times
Cheapest legal way is probably to put it back on the insurance, renew the registration and drive it.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,684,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0512ny View Post
How do I move a car that has been parked at a storage in NJ to a private residence in order to sell it? The reason of the car relocation is because the person showing the car for sale lives almost two hours away. (Note the person selling the car is not the owner just a friend helping out) This is the reason why the car needs to be moved to his home. but the registration is expired, this car was bought in PA and never registered in NJ. All is available is the car title. I dont think its safe to drive the car with the expired registration from storage to private residence.

Would the registration need to renewed in Pennsylvania in order to sell it in New jersey?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

You don't say how far of a distance but just have it towed and let the new owner worry about registration and insurance.Moving my daughter from LA to Maryland this summer and it will run about $850.New registration,Insurance and state inspection might run you more than that.

Tow truck.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 AM

125 posts, read 116,191 times
Thank you very much, I decided to tow the car, looking for tow companies in NJ. Very expensive but its the only way

Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 AM

I think,,, if some of your friends or relatives might have the upgraded AAA towing they might be able to do this on their service. I'm not a member but they have local towing. maybe 5 miles or so, then for a slightly higher fee they have I think 100 mile towing meaning you only pay for anything extra over 100 miles. I think its still supposed to be registered, i think that's just a way they try to prevent people from abusing it for cases like this, but most of the time the towing driver might not check or maybe slip him a decent tip?

The club member should be there maybe at pickup or dropoff, I've helped some frinds have cars they bought towed on their club accounts.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:29 AM

There are also towing companies that offer long distance car shipping like if you buy a car on Ebay and its in anywhere, Utah, Calif, etc they ship cars. Look on Ebay cars in shipping.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM

108 posts, read 152,392 times
How about towing it to the nearest CarCash location and selling it to them. It may not be the best price, but no need to register the car or have insurance, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey