Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 AM

19 posts, read 41,341 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously considering Hoboken as an option to rent. I will be working in Times Square. It seems that the 126 bus offers a great mode of transportation.

However, having not traveled on the bus, I'm not sure how reliable it is during rush hours. I would really appreciate if someone could speak to this. My works hours are 9-7. How early would I have to leave my house to catch the bus (considering rush hour and packed buses)?

I'm considering places near Washington St. or Clinton St. around 11 St.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
The 126 bus runs frequently and reliably. The annoyance is crowding. Plan to stand if you board the bus at 11th St. Also expect some buses to pass by without stopping because they are full before reaching 11th St. At Port Authority Bus Terminal, long lines are common for many bus routes, including the 126. The 126 buses run frequently and the line moves quickly.

No point in leaving early just to catch the 126 bus. The wait is rarely more than 5 minutes through the morning commute timeframe.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
The 126 bus runs frequently and reliably. The annoyance is crowding. Plan to stand if you board the bus at 11th St. Also expect some buses to pass by without stopping because they are full before reaching 11th St. At Port Authority Bus Terminal, long lines are common for many bus routes, including the 126. The 126 buses run frequently and the line moves quickly.

No point in leaving early just to catch the 126 bus. The wait is rarely more than 5 minutes through the morning commute timeframe.
Thanks, Pretorius. The bus route info says that it will get me to Port Authority in around 15 minutes. Is this realistic during rush hour? How significantly does it change?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
It would be more like 20-30 mins at that time, usually closer to 20.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 AM

482 posts, read 729,165 times
TERRIBLE. I lived in the shipyard area of hoboken straight out of college back in the day. If you time it such that you are trying to get at your desk closer to 9am, then youll be standing on the bus...and the ride takes twice as long. The door to door was almost an hour, which is not pleasant when you are LOOKING at the manhattan skyline from your apartment. On top of that (if youre young), taking cabs home late night from the city every weekend quickly chews into rent savings to live in hoboken.

I started searching for a replacement renter within 6 months and was fully moved into Manhattan a few months after that.

Living within walking distance to the PATH is a different story...

Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
We used to live walking distance to the PATH in Newport, JC and then bought in uptown Hoboken and my husband much prefers his commute to midtown on the 126. He leaves at about 8-8:15 most days and is at work by 8:45. We live close to the 14th st stop. We've lived here now almost 4 years and he's never once taken a cab back from the city. If there's some kind of terrible accident in the tunnel, he'll take the ferry or the PATH that day (from the PATH station in Hoboken, he'll get the 126 back to our house or just uber). The Hoboken PATH is not as crazy as the JC lines, but the JC lines are packed and people push and shove--the 126 is full but people are nicer and actually stand in a queue and no one shoves past others to get on. Even when we go on date nights to the city, we either take the bus, ferry, or Path-Uber home.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Fifteen to 20 minutes is typical. Occasionally, say 3 to 5 times per year, a problem along the route causes traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel to grind to a halt. When this happens, watch out! The journey can reach 60 minutes or more. Walk to the water and take the ferry instead.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
Fifteen to 20 minutes is typical. Occasionally, say 3 to 5 times per year, a problem along the route causes traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel to grind to a halt. When this happens, watch out! The journey can reach 60 minutes or more. Walk to the water and take the ferry instead.
Thanks, Pretorius. That's very reassuring. If you don't mind me asking, do you use 126 for a routine commute?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Yes, I have used the 126 bus hundreds of times for my commute.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,826 times
Hello everyone!

I know its an old thread but thinking of moving to Hoboken in next few weeks. Hows the wait for the bus 126 at Willow/15th at 7.30am. How many buses you have to let go before you can get on one and how much time does it take to get to Port authority? Guessing its standing room only even if you can get on one bus at that time...

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey