Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 31,437 times

Advertisements

I live in Monmouth county near the shore. My wife and I are currently renting but looking to buy a house soon. However, We are looking to leave this area due to high real estate prices. Originally wanted to leave NJ altogether, but we haven't had any luck applying for jobs out of state.

I have researched different areas of south jersey, and southern ocean county seems to be somewhat reasonable (by NJ standards)in regards to real estate prices and property taxes.

I am referring to areas such as Barnegat, Ocean Acres, Manahawkin, Little Egg Harbor, Lacey township, etc.

I know little to nothing about these towns, are they good areas? Decent schools? Etc.

I cannot not move any father south than these areas, since that would mean too far of a commute as I would still be working in Monmouth county.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 02:09 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
You can prob get some school info online.

Big dif between Lacey and Little Egg in regard to commuting to Monmouth County.

What is your price range and where in Monmouth County do you work?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
I live in Monmouth county near the shore. My wife and I are currently renting but looking to buy a house soon. However, We are looking to leave this area due to high real estate prices. Originally wanted to leave NJ altogether, but we haven't had any luck applying for jobs out of state.

I have researched different areas of south jersey, and southern ocean county seems to be somewhat reasonable (by NJ standards)in regards to real estate prices and property taxes.

I am referring to areas such as Barnegat, Ocean Acres, Manahawkin, Little Egg Harbor, Lacey township, etc.

I know little to nothing about these towns, are they good areas? Decent schools? Etc.

I cannot not move any father south than these areas, since that would mean too far of a commute as I would still be working in Monmouth county.

Thank you!
Wall,Manasguan, Brick ,Point Pleasant and Point Pleasant Beach all to high for you?

Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 31,437 times
Yes, those towns are too high. I am realistically looking at around a 200-250k budget. I think at that point, I am pretty much priced out of most of Monmouth county.

I work in the Neptune area. I dont mind a long commute if it means saving on property tax. Id say 45 minutes is around the edge of my comfort zone for commuting.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Pretty much Little Egg to Neptune is close to an hour...with no traffic.

I would suggest starting around Stafford Township and work your way up to Bayville to see what you can afford.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelands View Post
Yes, those towns are too high. I am realistically looking at around a 200-250k budget. I think at that point, I am pretty much priced out of most of Monmouth county.

I work in the Neptune area. I dont mind a long commute if it means saving on property tax. Id say 45 minutes is around the edge of my comfort zone for commuting.

Plenty of homes in this area in your range.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ect/10_zm/4_p/

Old 08-18-2022, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 17,622 times
Thanks!

Old 08-19-2022, 01:27 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
I come from that area. We were heavily considering Beachwood/Pine Beach which has ranches in that price range (and higher). Pine Beach is better for schools but higher prices. Beachwood uses Toms River middle and high schools I’m pretty sure. Bayville is where I’m from but the schools aren’t good, big drug problems there. I have friends in Little Egg Harbor who absolutely love it, good schools there. I don’t know much about Lacey other than to agree with others on the commute. It’s off the parkway so you’ll need more time.

Lately traffic through Toms River has been bad all day, every day fyi.

Brick is a solid option too and would save you time. We opted against the area (for now) due to commutes but things changed for both of us after we moved so I may be looking down there in 5-6 years depending on mortgage rates. I’d go now but I refuse to give up my 2.75% mortgage lol.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-19-2022, 01:27 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Oh crap, zombie thread. I didn’t realize lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-19-2022, 08:25 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Oh crap, zombie thread. I didn’t realize lol
I hate when that happens. It's usually a new member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey