Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,243,807 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can rent a one-bedroom apartment to a family of four. At least not in my town. I think it's a state-wide restriction. There might be an exception since the kids are evidently infant twins, but I wouldn't count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM

625 posts, read 800,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't think you can rent a one-bedroom apartment to a family of four. At least not in my town. I think it's a state-wide restriction. There might be an exception since the kids are evidently infant twins, but I wouldn't count on it.

I rented it while they did not have kids. They ended up having 2 kids within 30 months. I advised them that its a city/state law that they cannot continue to live in the property.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,493,752 times
report to ICE

Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 PM

19,217 posts, read 25,510,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
report to ICE
Even if the tenants in question are US citizens?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Even if the tenants in question are US citizens?
They are illegal and I'm in a sanctuary city. What a joke this state is.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,300,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
A tenant of mine did not pay his last month of rent for the month of October. He told me to use the security deposit for the last month's rent, which I know is illegal and he cannot do. He told that he is leaving October 31st even though he does not have a replacement apartment yet. He is telling me not to worry that a local church can take him and his family in. I mistakenly only accepted 1 month security, instead of 1 1/2 because I was trying to help him out originally. Since then, I have found out that he is illegally in this country as well.

I proceeded in renting the apartment for November 1st based on him telling me he was leaving. Now I am in a potential bind with the new tenant requiring housing on that date.

Additional issues are I rented the apartment to two people (1 bedroom), since then they have had two children, so they have 4 people in a 1 bedroom apt.

I've had him sign a letter stating that he did not pay the October rent, has notified me that he is leaving and that he will be fully liable for any damages I face should he not leave by November 1st.

He had a 1 year lease, then went to a month to month 18 months ago.

Anyone know what state law is if a tenant tells you they are moving but, end up not moving?
If your tenants don't move out, you will need to file a complaint with Office of the Special Civil Part Clerk in your county & start the eviction process. You can do this because October rent wasn't paid. DO NOT collect any money from them if they offer.

That's pretty much all you can do.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,898,557 times
Quote:
They are illegal and I'm in a sanctuary city. What a joke this state is.
Guess you shouldn't have taken their money then.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM

638 posts, read 532,427 times
Well, if you rent you need to be strict. Not unkind but strict. And unfortunately you've already shown these tenants that you'll bend the rules for them.

Do you have their notice in writing? Be sure to get it in writing, certified mail or notarized. If I were you I'd go so far as to meet them at the door and walk to the local bank to get the notice notarized.

If they won't, make it clear that you can't afford any months without rent and that if they aren't out by midnight on the 31st you'll have to file an eviction order, and follow up, and that you know it would be a hardship for them so please be out in plenty of time. It sounds like you don't want to do the obvious thing, which is evict them, so my suggestion is to offer a car to drive them to the church, and change the locks. If their things are in the home, can you pack them up?

Now, if you asked how to set up a homeless shelter for migrants in your spare apartment, I'd be happy to help with that too, but that's not what you asked.

It sounds terribly sad, two small children, but at least getting them with valuables to a shelter safely is a kind act. Heck, even throw in some diapers and formula and a donation to the shelter if you feel bad. But providing free shelter all yourself is not realistic.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 AM

47 posts, read 71,247 times
Quote:
A tenant of mine did not pay his last month of rent for the month of October. He told me to use the security deposit for the last month's rent, which I know is illegal and he cannot do. He told that he is leaving October 31st even though he does not have a replacement apartment yet. He is telling me not to worry that a local church can take him and his family in. I mistakenly only accepted 1 month security, instead of 1 1/2 because I was trying to help him out originally. Since then, I have found out that he is illegally in this country as well.

I proceeded in renting the apartment for November 1st based on him telling me he was leaving. Now I am in a potential bind with the new tenant requiring housing on that date.

Additional issues are I rented the apartment to two people (1 bedroom), since then they have had two children, so they have 4 people in a 1 bedroom apt.

I've had him sign a letter stating that he did not pay the October rent, has notified me that he is leaving and that he will be fully liable for any damages I face should he not leave by November 1st.

He had a 1 year lease, then went to a month to month 18 months ago.

Anyone know what state law is if a tenant tells you they are moving but, end up not moving?

May I ask how much rent is? I am trying to get that way from Yuma,Arizona. I currently live in a home that I lived in for 15 years. haven't been to new jersey since I was a teen. I am looking into places to rent temporary until I can buy something. I am open to backround checks, drug screening, whatever needed to get into something . Also do any of your properties accept pets.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBegginings17 View Post
May I ask how much rent is? I am trying to get that way from Yuma,Arizona. I currently live in a home that I lived in for 15 years. haven't been to new jersey since I was a teen. I am looking into places to rent temporary until I can buy something. I am open to backround checks, drug screening, whatever needed to get into something . Also do any of your properties accept pets.
$1200 - no pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey