Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 PM

252 posts, read 348,021 times

Advertisements

is there a "stigma" or reputation of being from South Jersey or North Jersey? Is one region of the state considered to be "better" than another? or richer? It seems like people people prefer to be from "north Jersey" as it's closer to manhattan...?

I was driving around looking at various neighborhoods and such and I was looking for communities with nice homes and someone had said "don't buy a house in south jersey, you'd be better off spending that money in north jersey...". Why is that?

and as my little side rant, why the hell are property taxes so god damn high in NJ! haha i mean holy cow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
No stigma

I like South Jersey a lot better than North Jersey. People are nicer, houses are more reasonably priced, less materialism, the winters are a teeny bit milder. Oh yeah, and did I mention the people are nicer

Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,342 times
I live in southern most NJ. I like it down here.

Suggest if you have the time you come down here and check things out. I think a good way to start is the New Jersey Coastal Highway, link below.

https://www.new-jersey-leisure-guide...age-trail.html

Bring binoculars.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM

538 posts, read 732,802 times
Oh man, and wait until people start talking about Central Jersey and whether or not it even exists.

For the most part Northern New Jersey (and I'm speaking in the broad sense that includes Central Jersey) is more NYC-centric than Philly-centric and is the more populous part of the state. Expect Yankees caps. A lot of people hear NJ and they think of the industrial areas near the airport, or troubled populous towns like Newark and Paterson. Of course, there are plenty of boring suburbs too and even farms and Confederate flags flying out West.

South NJ is a Philly-centric less populous part of the state. It has some of all of the above, but it's a lot more scaled down. There's some heavily built up areas outside Philly, but it doesn't sprawl quite as far.

There are nice towns in both, there are less nice towns in both. Although expect NNJ to be more expesnsive. Overall, it's a matter of preference.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
In many ways, it comes down to personal preference. There are some North Jerseyans and South Jerseyans who rag on each other and play up stereotypes, but I'm sure that many of them have never even properly explored in depth the "other side" and are making some comments out of ignorance.

Of course though, it's a small state, and it really shouldn't be that hard for most people to explore in its entirety, or close to it. And there are plenty of unifying themes. No matter where you are in NJ, people will complain about traffic, tolls, property taxes, political corruption, etc. Italian food is EVERYWHERE. Both have nice towns, both have bad areas that are poor and crime ridden. People love the Shore, are sick of AC though, and schools are generally good, with even "bad" schools in NJ outperforming "good" schools in several other states.

That said, there are plenty of differences as well. North Jersey is wealthier. South Jersey is more agriculturally focused, although there are still the Philly suburbs that are not as agricultural. North Jersey has more vibrant towns and cities with dense population, young professionals, trains, downtowns, and nightlife, whereas in South Jersey it's much more generic suburbia, family oriented, and you could say to an extent, boring. In fact, many South Jersey towns are still dry. North Jersey has more Indians, Asians, and Arabs, whereas South Jersey does not, except for a handful of towns like Voorhees, Cherry Hill, Marlton, maybe a few others.

Generally speaking, there is more economic opportunity in the North. I suppose it depends on the field you work in. If you work in healthcare, there are plenty of jobs for you in South Jersey and Philly, just like you can find those jobs pretty much anywhere. But if you are like me and work in "business", then North Jersey is much better suited for you. Last time I checked, as one measure, North and Central Jersey (and I group them together because for the most part Central Jersey is more like North Jersey than it is South Jersey) combine for 17 HQ's of Fortune 500 companies, whereas South Jersey has 2.

At the end of the day, it's up to what suits YOU best. Everyone is going to have their own opinion.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,865,524 times
There are people that have stigmas about living in New Jersey in general but you can't live your life worrying about them.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 AM

252 posts, read 456,049 times
I define South Jersey as including the following counties: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean, and Salem. This region is in decline.

House prices are falling in 5 of 7 Counties (slight gains in Atlantic and Ocean). Population is declining in 5 of 7 counties (modest increases in Gloucester and Ocean).

The national economy is thriving and the state economy is healing - both have been growing for years. Something is going terribly wrong when in this environment, house prices and population in a region are headed down.

Is South Jersey's decline irreversible?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
South Jersey doesn't have a lot of the amenities that North Jersey offers.

The ethnic food choices are limited. And the entertainment is rather limited.

However, Philadelphia proper does offer those things.

And living in a luxury apartment within the city of Philly is actually cheaper in most cases than living in an average apartment in the suburbs of North Jersey.

So, my decision would be between those two.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,422 times
I put Mercer into Sourh Jersey as well.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:33 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I put Mercer into Sourh Jersey as well.
Lock your doors. The people with the torches and pitchforks are on their way over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey