Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,452,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
There’s 50,000 white people in Paterson according to Wikipedia. That’s a little more than a third of their population. I’d call that pretty diverse already.
Remember white is a race and not an ethnicity. Hispanics will be often choose Hispanic as their ethnicity and white as their race, even if they don't look white. I don't know why. Maybe they are confused. Maybe they identify with their white side (Spaniard) more. I don't know.

This has happened with Puerto Rico where 80% claims to be white on the U.S. Census. However anyone who has been to Puerto Rico knows it is not overwhelmingly white. Not even half the island passes as white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 11:59 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Remember white is a race and not an ethnicity. Hispanics will be often choose Hispanic as their ethnicity and white as their race, even if they don't look white. I don't know why. Maybe they are confused. Maybe they identify with their white side (Spaniard) more. I don't know.

This has happened with Puerto Rico where 80% claims to be white on the U.S. Census. However anyone who has been to Puerto Rico knows it is not overwhelmingly white. Not even half the island passes as white.

You're not wrong about that.

However, Wikipedia says that Hispanics or Latinos of any race make up roughly 57% of the population. That leaves 43% to be something else so the "Paterson is not diverse enough" claim still sounds silly.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM

275 posts, read 214,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
There’s 50,000 white people in Paterson according to Wikipedia. That’s a little more than a third of their population. I’d call that pretty diverse already.
There are 50K people of Caucasian ancestry living in Paterson which constitutes a third of the general population as you stated. However, Hispanics make up 52% of the total population which makes them the majority ethnic group......which in retrospect; shouldn't put in doubt the diversity characteristic of this township. I guess that you did not understand my tongue in cheek comment......didn't 'ya?

Old 02-05-2018, 12:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
I guess I did not

Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM

275 posts, read 214,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post

The racial conversation among Hispanics is rather cumbersome indeed. I must say that the racial identity as taught in most public schools are as follow.

Hispanics = Spaniards and Lusitanians (From the Hispania Region Portugal, Spain, Bsque, and small portion of France)

Iberians = Spaniards

Hispanic Americans = People in the Americas of Spanish, Portuguese, and Basque (Spain and France) descent

But as far as racial names there are quite a few definitions:

Mulatos = Mixed whites and blacks

Mestizos = Mixed whites and indigenous

Zambo = Mixed Black and indigenous

I would say that from a genetic point of view, Latin America has a complex history of racial classification, but based on the information above that may be the reason why most Puerto Ricans define themselves as whites.

P.S. I'm not from Puerto Rico, but where I come from slavery and colonial history during elementary school was.........intense.

And forgot to mention, I encounter this conundrum myself when I moved to the States nearly 25 years ago. My mom is French and father Italian, but I was born in Venezuela. Every time I had to answer the ethnicity part of any form I was filling out; I had to stop and didn't quite know how to answer what for many was a rather simple question.......=)

Last edited by EdGuitar; 02-05-2018 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 01:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
spanish created the caste system. la casta

Old 02-05-2018, 04:35 PM

344 posts, read 245,568 times
It's going to take a lot more than some ethnic cuisine to bring people into Paterson. Clean up the trash from the streets, do something about the beggars/homeless people, and get a grip on violent crime.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 AM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
It's going to take a lot more than some ethnic cuisine to bring people into Paterson. Clean up the trash from the streets, do something about the beggars/homeless people, and get a grip on violent crime.

I'd add stop with all the fires, there was just another one last night in Paterson. What is it with that place? It's like every other day or week something is burning down there. You'd think it was the South Bronx during the 1970's or something.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 AM

68 posts, read 69,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Diverse. you mean some whites?

TO [SIZE=5]chuck172[/SIZE]

CHUCK,
WHY NOT SOME "WHITES", WE "AIN'T" ALL BAD (COMING FROM AN OLD WHITE LADY. PATERSON IS ABOUT 60% LATINO, 30% BLACK (BLACK FOLKS ARE LEAVING--BLACK FLIGHT, GOING SOUTH) AND 10% "OTHER" I AM AN OTHER OF AN OTHER --NOT JOKING.

PATERSON IS ABSOLUTELY NOT DIVERSE, PROBABLY--IN MY LIFETIME-- DIVERSITY WILL NOT HAPPEN. TOO MANY PROBLEMS HERE, THE CITY HAS DECIDED (DECIDED MANY YEARS AGO) TO MAKE PATERSON A HAVEN FOR THE DOWN & OUT, HOMELESS, DRUGGIES, ETC. THE MORE POOR AND DOWN & OUT, THE MORE MONEY FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. SEEMS AS IF HOUSING IS GOING UP OVER THE STORES ON MAIN ST. THIS WILL BENEFIT THE LANDLORD/OWNERS OF THE BUILDINGS, SINCE I AM ASSUMING THIS HOUSING WILL NOT BE FOR THE WORKING POOR, BUT FOR THE "WELFARE/SUBSIDED" PEOOPLE. SO THE PROFIT MARGIN FOR LANDLORDS/OWNERS WILL BE GREAT MUCHO DINEROS ! I UNDERSTAND THAT MORE THAN 50% OF PEOPLE HERE ARE ON SOME SORT OF A "SUBSIDY" THIS WAS TOLD TO ME BY AN "OFFICIAL" OF THE CITY. I FEEL THAT IS WHY THERE IS MINIMAL "CIVIC PRIDE" IN PATERSON ==TOO MANY "TAKERS" !! I COULD GO ON & ON, BUT THIS IS QUICK RUNDOWN OF THE SITUATION IN PATERSON.

THE PLACE OF PATERSON IS WONDERFUL, THE PLACE, NOT THE "CULTURE" --THERE "AIN'T" NONE.
NOT ONE LOVELY DINING ESTABLISHMENT. OF COURSE, WE ARE SURROUNDED BY "UPSCALE" TOWNS, FAIR LAWN, GLEN ROCK, RIDGEWOOD. SO THIS OLD WHITE LADY GOES TO THE SURROUNDING TOWNS. SHOPPING ON MAIN STREET IS VERY GOOD FOR BASICS, REAL BARGAINS, AND WE HAVE 3 GREAT THRIFT SHOPS (I AM HOOKED ON BARGAINS) SOME PEOPLE LIKE THAT WE ARE SURROUNDED BY THE MALLS IN PARAMUS, 10 MINUTES AWAY. THAT IS ONE REASON WHY PATERSON WILL NOT HAVE "UPSCALE" SHOPPING--THE MARKETS DOES NOT DEMAND IT ! SO THE DOWNTOWN, IN MY OPINION WILL SIMPLY HAVE THE PARTICULAR SSTORES APPEALING TO THE LOW-END PRICES, ETC.
I DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR, HOWEVER, I AM NOT ROAMING THE STREETS AT NIGHT, SIMPLY BECAUSE THERE IS NO PLACE TO GO AND ALSO, I AM TIRED AFTER 3 P.M. BUSY WORKING, DOCTORS, ETC. GRANDKIDS.

ENOUGH BABBLE FROM ME, THE LAST ONE OF "10 OLD WHITE LADIES' IN PATERSON--WILL PROBABLY DIE THERE !! MY FEELING FOR PATERSON IS ONE OF "LOVE/HATE". THE CHILDREN ARE ALL ADORABLE !!! MOMMIES, READ TO YOUR KIDS, TAKE THEM TO THE LIBRARY ETC. THEY NEED MORE THAN BEING DRAGGED UP AND DOWN MAIN STREET !!!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 AM

68 posts, read 69,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labuenavida View Post
it's going to take a lot more than some ethnic cuisine to bring people into paterson. Clean up the trash from the streets, do something about the beggars/homeless people, and get a grip on violent crime.

absolutely right about that , read my comments to "chuck"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey