Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times

Advertisements

How did NJ become the most taxed States in the union despite its vast resources, GDP, location to NY, and of course the large population?

My property taxes have gone UP 36% since I bought the home in 2009, thats no joke! School systems are over crowded, extremely wasteful programs with no real benefit to community, and just overall padded pensions and govt jobs under dem control - I agree Christie was no saint, his mismanagement of NJ Transit has hurt the economy and people but a vote for Menendez will be to keep status quo for 25 years he has been in office not a single large scale funding for NJ has occurred; instead our taxes on gas, property, sales tax, state income tax, have all gone up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
hm..we had christie in office for 2 terms. In that period, he has wrecked nj transit's funding. He helped create bridgegate and let a soccer mom take the fall and go to jail.

Trump has control of all of congress and the supreme court. He can easily pass legislation to get big projects done for nj. He does not want to even though he has property in the area and comes to in NJ instead of NYC to recuperate.
He helped create bridgegate? I'm sorry do you even know what bridgegate was and it relatively effected nobody including myself who travels to Long Island. Also, NJ was on the verge of bankruptcy and Christie fixed it.

Trump already announced he's not helping build the tunnel and to his point why would he? Actually it's not even Trumps job, NJ has horrible Democratic Congressmen who are responsible for representing us to procure the funding. We keep electing them and there is a reason why this state gets one of the least returns for federal dollars paid. If you want improvement elect a new congressman, better off Republican.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Speaking for myself and others who feel the same way as I do, we vote for Menendez because we do not like the Republican choices for Judges, we are pro-choice, we believe in medicaid expansion and the ACA, we like that he votes for tighter controls on environmental issue and increased consumer protections. Basically the polar opposite of his opponent, who may be a great guy but does not share my priorities.

^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
He helped create bridgegate? I'm sorry do you even know what bridgegate was and it relatively effected nobody including myself who travels to Long Island. Also, NJ was on the verge of bankruptcy and Christie fixed it.

Trump already announced he's not helping build the tunnel and to his point why would he? Actually it's not even Trumps job, NJ has horrible Democratic Congressmen who are responsible for representing us to procure the funding. We keep electing them and there is a reason why this state gets one of the least returns for federal dollars paid. If you want improvement elect a new congressman, better off Republican.

if he's not going to get me my tunnel, then why would I vote for his senator? I want an abortion clinic on every street corner. That would fix up jersey cities and decrease the prison population. mitch McConnell is going to take away my social security and my healthcare.

What exactly did christie fix? I noticed that my property tax refund is now threatened. My taxes are still high. Seems more status quo to me. The beach vacation was just insulting. He was too busy trying to be president.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:37 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
^this

if he's not going to get me my tunnel, then why would I vote for his senator? I want an abortion clinic on every street corner. That would fix up jersey cities and decrease the prison population. mitch McConnell is going to take away my social security and my healthcare.

What exactly did christie fix? I noticed that my property tax refund is now threatened. My taxes are still high. Seems more status quo to me. The beach vacation was just insulting. He was too busy trying to be president.
Like I mentioned before it's not Trumps job to build a tunnel, it's the Democratic Congressmen from our area to make the bill to procure the funding. Which hasn't happened.

Also, if you do not know what Christie fixed and why he won in a 4/6 margin in 2013 you really haven't paid attention to politics. Additional it was the state Democrats in the state Senate and state Congress who were 100% responsible for closing the beaches not Christie as they were trying to ram through a bill to raise sales tax, gas tax and your state taxes. I guess you re dived your talking points from the star ledger and nj.com which are just extensions of the democratic party.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
Menendez has absolutely no achievements for NJ for the past 25 years in service. All types of taxes have gone up instead of down or stabilizing, while population has increased and quality of life has decreased - NJ is no longer in any top lists, except maybe education- but all these intelligent people have yet to cast a vote!

Old 10-29-2018, 02:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's getting down to the wire. Normally Menendez would walk away with this. But he's had some legal run-ins which have left him vulnerable. And Hugin seems to have unlimited money to spend on the race.

So who will take it?
Menendez should have let another Democrat run after his recent legal issues. Step down from his position. I know a mistrial doesn't equal guilt but it also doesn't equal innocence. The fact that he was investigated and it got so far as a trial, and that the Senate Ethics Committee admonished him should be enough for him to let someone else have a turn.

Whoever runs instead of him would sure as hell beat Hugin in this state, considering this state WILL reelect Menendez.

Then again I was shocked when Trump won, so.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
NJ has been dem senate controlled way to long.

Proof....we're always on the bottom of the states getting fed money back. It's time for a change.
We do give far more than we take, and for some reason people in red states love to deny this though it is a fact. I lose brain cells reading P&OC.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
My operating assumption has always been that Menendez would win. But Hugin was picking up ground for a while, and I was thinking he might just pull it out. But I think that has stopped. Too bad. NJ would be much better off with Hugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Menendez should have let another Democrat run after his recent legal issues. Step down from his position. I know a mistrial doesn't equal guilt but it also doesn't equal innocence. The fact that he was investigated and it got so far as a trial, and that the Senate Ethics Committee admonished him should be enough for him to let someone else have a turn.

Whoever runs instead of him would sure as hell beat Hugin in this state, considering this state WILL reelect Menendez.

Then again I was shocked when Trump won, so.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
My operating assumption has always been that Menendez would win. But Hugin was picking up ground for a while, and I was thinking he might just pull it out. But I think that has stopped. Too bad. NJ would be much better off with Hugin.
NJ would generally just be better off with someone who isn't Menendez. Imo he is selfish to run, especially in this political climate when so many Americans are divided and just want to stick it to Trump because they hate him and all he says and does. While many people in NJ will blindly vote for the Democrat without knowing anything about him, there are people who will strategically vote for him, knowing he sucks and is corrupt, because they don't want a Republican in office. They're put into kind of a bad position (from their POV) because they know Menendez sucks but they think an (R) would suck more in the long run.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Like I mentioned before it's not Trumps job to build a tunnel, it's the Democratic Congressmen from our area to make the bill to procure the funding. Which hasn't happened.

Also, if you do not know what Christie fixed and why he won in a 4/6 margin in 2013 you really haven't paid attention to politics. Additional it was the state Democrats in the state Senate and state Congress who were 100% responsible for closing the beaches not Christie as they were trying to ram through a bill to raise sales tax, gas tax and your state taxes. I guess you re dived your talking points from the star ledger and nj.com which are just extensions of the democratic party.

It may not be his job, but the republican party takes the lead from him. If he's not going to support the tunnel, my vote will not go toward him. I want that beautiful infrastructure he promised. He can't even build a wall while republicans control of congress.

Christie did not even care about his 2nd term. He let the dems do whatever they wanted instead of checking them. Christie still going to the beach set a bad image. Also, I did not want murphy as governor. I wanted Kim Guadagno. She was moderate and was not DJT crazy.

And with republicans in power, I've gotten nothing but wars while China is slowly taking over the world. Liked it better when guilani was sane or the first Bush. He was at least pragmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey