Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 07:09 AM

1,003 posts, read 755,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Would you risk your life? If the winds are high or a big storm you could flip over. You can easily die of hyperthermia in winter. Shame on our state for not promoting for more ferry service.
While I'm with you on the benefits of ferry commuting (did it for years, loved it), to my knowledge it is an entirely private operation, i.e. no state involvement. Hence the $9 ticket to go on a 5-minute ride. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's enough demand to warrant JC-Brooklyn ferry service. Agree on risks of jet ski commute though. The Hudson river is an active shipping lane, and currents are no joke.

Selfishly, I would love it because it is a serious pain to get to Brooklyn from Hudson county despite it being only ~2 miles away. And it has, in my opinion, some of the best bar & restaurant scenes on the entire East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,862,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
While I'm with you on the benefits of ferry commuting (did it for years, loved it), to my knowledge it is an entirely private operation, i.e. no state involvement. Hence the $9 ticket to go on a 5-minute ride. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's enough demand to warrant JC-Brooklyn ferry service. Agree on risks of jet ski commute though. The Hudson river is an active shipping lane, and currents are no joke.

Selfishly, I would love it because it is a serious pain to get to Brooklyn from Hudson county despite it being only ~2 miles away. And it has, in my opinion, some of the best bar & restaurant scenes on the entire East Coast.
There must be some kind of logistical problem because I know people that own boats and they never dock at Brooklyn and not even at Coney Island. It must be prohibitory expensive and to commission a commuting service probably not feasible without charging a huge fare. I've taken ferries for 2+ years and it can get rough sometimes so I rather be a on a big ship than a jetski.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 PM

33,064 posts, read 36,721,129 times
Hot fun in the summertime.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,144,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There must be some kind of logistical problem because I know people that own boats and they never dock at Brooklyn and not even at Coney Island. It must be prohibitory expensive and to commission a commuting service probably not feasible without charging a huge fare. I've taken ferries for 2+ years and it can get rough sometimes so I rather be a on a big ship than a jetski.
The annoying thing to me is that the 2 ferries that go from Monmouth County to Manhattan pass right by the 69th street pier in Bay Ridge. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it would be so great if they would just stop there. When I lived in Bay Ridge it would have been spectacular, because at the time there was no ferry service at all. Then there was service from BAT, but the drive there was a PIA. And the ferry passes SO close to that pier. Now, with friends and family still in Bay Ridge, it would be great to be able to get back and forth by boat for all of us. It would be a huge convenience, and the boats are already doing the run.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM

31,769 posts, read 40,908,061 times
a friend sent this to me. anyone know if i can do this from keyport to sheepshead bay?

i have a reminder to pop into a place that rents jet skis in keyport. i did some further looking after reading this article and i see some issues with where to park it and getting from there to the office. im only a couple of miles away from the water but still id need some way to get there. lyft would work but would add about $32 to my daily expense.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:55 AM

2,693 posts, read 2,125,867 times
The downside of this commuting method is that one can easily die if it get very windy and choppy. Or if the Jet skis dies or fails to start. And of course a person gets completely wet. But this is what happens when various government entities are criminally negligent in expanding mass transit in one of the most dynamic and growing regions of the country...

Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 PM

31,769 posts, read 40,908,061 times
anyone know anything about paying for a boat slip? i found this online and im not sure if these numbers are monthly or for the full season (date range above the $ amounts). it seems like its the whole time but that seems kind of low.

https://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/...20_2_pages.pdf

Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM

89,035 posts, read 85,623,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone know anything about paying for a boat slip? i found this online and im not sure if these numbers are monthly or for the full season (date range above the $ amounts). it seems like its the whole time but that seems kind of low.

https://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/...20_2_pages.pdf
I don't know a whole lot, and I have no real details for your comparison, but about five years ago I had to go to a black tie event at the Yale Club in the city.

I got into the elevator to go up to the venue that does the events, and there were two couples, obviously Yale Club members, on the elevator with me. A discussion ensued between the two men as to where they kept their boats.

One of them laughed and told the other he was sick of NYC prices, so he kept his boat at Lincoln Harbor across the river because it was only $6,000 for the season.

Taking inflation and location into consideration, if you have something less than 38', you should be ahead of the game.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 AM

23,737 posts, read 17,407,268 times
Long past time to have a subforum for, 'one hour away'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey