Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,165,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
I don't they are idiots...it could happen to any of us....for example, occasionally taking a child to daycare at a non-routine time and instead of going to daycare, you go straight to train station to take the train to Manhattan for work.....and once we are at work we are back to routine and probably already assume that the kid is in daycare......

They can be criminals though (rather than idiots) because some of them have done it purposely if you see the news...
If you're a parent your child should always be your first priority, no matter what you are doing. Even if you are only taking them to daycare once in your life that should be the only thing on your mind when you get in the car. I have 2 kids and I can't imagine being this absent minded. There are no excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Yeah, I pretty much never drive with 2 hands on the wheel. It's very uncomfortable and unnecessary. I usually have my left hand on the wheel and my right arm resting on the arm rest. If I'm making a turn I use both hands as needed. I don't think this is uncommon. I don't ever hold a phone though or play with the infotainment system. By using Android Auto I can navigate and change music by voice commands.
i test drove a tesla recently. it will keep you centered in a lane and maintaining a set distance from the car in front of you as long as there are clear lane markings. im not sure why vision thinks its a problem for that person to be on the phone.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 AM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I sometimes get into a tailgate situation, a car pulls out of a driveway or street in front and doing 20~25mph in a single lane residential road. I'm going 30mph and suddenly brakes and pulls within a yard from the car. Now I'm stuck behind this slow car and there are 3-4 cars behind me all doing the same riding up close to me and I have very little room to slow down. In this case usually I wait til there's a 2 lane intersection and quickly pull around the car. The slow car I got in front of now then started high beaming or honking while other cars all pulls around the slower car.

This is how some tailgate situation got started. Which is why I blame the slow driver again, if only they were going a little faster like 30mph then we wouldn't get into a tail gating situation.

Or just wait till the faster cars go by. That's the one I don't get. The guy who knows he is going to go slow who pulls out in front of people who are not going that slow. When I feel like driving slowly, I will wait for a faster car to go by even if there's plenty of room for me to pull out in front of him. To me doing otherwise seems passive-aggressive. I used to have people pull out in front of me and go 20 in the winter in Ocean City, on deserted roads when there is not a single car behind me.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,642,200 times
Everytime I get behind a slow driver on a freeway they are on the PHONE.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i test drove a tesla recently. it will keep you centered in a lane and maintaining a set distance from the car in front of you as long as there are clear lane markings. im not sure why vision thinks its a problem for that person to be on the phone.
Except Tesla requires you to have a hand on the wheel and paying attention to the road. At any given time autopilot could fail and requires immediate intervention. That's the problem.

How many folks on their phones can easily avoid a collision with a big rig that Tesla could not pick up. The tech is "beta" and not production ready.

Lots of people have died in situation they could've easily avoided had they paid attention and not relied on the computer to make mistakes. The last guy that died in May, he probably got decapitated by the big rig that autopilot drove right through because it couldn't tell the big rig was part of the scenery or object.

Another guy died when the Model X hit into a medium divider and he was burn to death by the ruptured battery.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/nt...g-inattention/

"The NTSB report follows a finding earlier this year from NHTSA that found no evidence that Tesla’s Autopilot software didn’t work as intended. The NTSB similarly found that the system operated as intended – but also cited the driver’s inattentiveness, a result of his excess reliance on the Autopilot tech, was a cause in the death."

You can't be on the phone and not pay attention, if you do and get into an accident it is not Tesla's fault it is also on your own.

Last edited by vision33r; 10-08-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Except Tesla requires you to have a hand on the wheel and paying attention to the road. At any given time autopilot could fail and requires immediate intervention. That's the problem.

How many folks on their phones can easily avoid a collision with a big rig that Tesla could not pick up. The tech is "beta" and not production ready.

Lots of people have died in situation they could've easily avoided had they paid attention and not relied on the computer to make mistakes. The last guy that died in May, he probably got decapitated by the big rig that autopilot drove right through because it couldn't tell the big rig was part of the scenery or object.

Another guy died when the Model X hit into a medium divider and he was burn to death by the ruptured battery.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/nt...g-inattention/

"The NTSB report follows a finding earlier this year from NHTSA that found no evidence that Tesla’s Autopilot software didn’t work as intended. The NTSB similarly found that the system operated as intended – but also cited the driver’s inattentiveness, a result of his excess reliance on the Autopilot tech, was a cause in the death."

You can't be on the phone and not pay attention, if you do and get into an accident it is not Tesla's fault it is also on your own.
you can pay attention to the road while talking on the phone. not paying attention to the road is an individual decision.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,165,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you can pay attention to the road while talking on the phone. not paying attention to the road is an individual decision.
There is a common misconception that the physical act of holding the phone in your hand is what causes distracted driving. In reality the problem is that your brain is focused on the conversation rather than what is happening around you. This is why people tend to slow down when they are on a call, even when the phone is on bluetooth. Last week I was driving on the interstate and I had to take a call for work. I was having a very detailed technical discussion with someone and found myself having a very hard time focusing. This is why I almost never take calls in the car.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
There is a common misconception that the physical act of holding the phone in your hand is what causes distracted driving. In reality the problem is that your brain is focused on the conversation rather than what is happening around you. This is why people tend to slow down when they are on a call, even when the phone is on bluetooth. Last week I was driving on the interstate and I had to take a call for work. I was having a very detailed technical discussion with someone and found myself having a very hard time focusing. This is why I almost never take calls in the car.
yes, i have always found the whole "hands free" law to be absolutely ridiculous. as if the distraction has anything to do with the fact that a phone is in your hand. like you said, it is the attention that you are paying to the call and transferring from the road. hands free laws should be dropped and every cop whoever gave anyone a ticket for it should be locked in prison. just focus on actual dangerous driving and let the nazis leave people alone.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:31 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:

How is brain activity different if you're talking to other people in the car?

Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
The fact is that Tesla requires your hand on the wheel is to intercept controls quickly when necessary. However, the whole premise that Tesla is real autopilot is dangerous. People have been caught sleeping or watching movies while autopilot is engaged. No wonder the accidents that happened the driver usually dies. They weren't prepared since they are not paying any attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey