Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 566 times

Advertisements

For anyone coming across this thread that has a child that needs intervention or may need special education- STAY FAR AWAY from Livingston. The administrative staff are ableists who do not believe in including special ed students. This includes students with ADHD or any learning disabilities. The lady who is in charge of the special ed program rather spend thousands a year fighting parents in court, than do what is right. Their solution is segregating kids. Your child will be taught 95% of the time by a para. They will not receive reading or math intervention as those are services reserved for general ed students. Livingston has the potential to be one of the best districts overall but their outdated beliefs and methods hold them back and do a disservice to their most vulnerable population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 10:42 PM

56 posts, read 34,435 times
Several years ago I was a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for a child who was in Randolph schools and was on an IEP. I went to a meeting of her IEP team and was astounded at the high quality of the team members, their concern, and the quality attention the child was being given.

Livingston is in Essex County and has very high taxes; Randolph being in Morris County has lower taxes and lower car insurance rates.

Also, Morris County has some really excellent magnet schools, such as Science & Math Academy and Visual & Performing Arts Academy (at School of Technology in Denville). Science & Math Academy has some of the highest SAT scores in the country. It’s possible your child might go to a school other than Randolph High. And if your child gets into an academy, your local district is required to provide transportation.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:59 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingQuaker View Post
Several years ago I was a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for a child who was in Randolph schools and was on an IEP. I went to a meeting of her IEP team and was astounded at the high quality of the team members, their concern, and the quality attention the child was being given.

Livingston is in Essex County and has very high taxes; Randolph being in Morris County has lower taxes and lower car insurance rates.

Also, Morris County has some really excellent magnet schools, such as Science & Math Academy and Visual & Performing Arts Academy (at School of Technology in Denville). Science & Math Academy has some of the highest SAT scores in the country. It’s possible your child might go to a school other than Randolph High. And if your child gets into an academy, your local district is required to provide transportation.
The property tax rate in Livingston is lower than the property tax rate in Randolph.

When it comes to property taxes, a lot of people like to say "this county has high taxes" or "that county has low taxes", but it really doesn't work that way. The county portion of the property taxes are relatively small, so it doesn't have the impact that some people think.

You can easily end up in a Morris county town that has higher taxes than your alternate Essex County choice.

For example, in this case, Randolph has a higher tax rate than Livingston.

The effective property tax rate for Randolph is 2.522% while for Livingston it is 2.260.

Here is the official NJ.gov effective property tax rates for every town in NJ for 2022.....

https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation...22taxrates.pdf

Old 11-20-2023, 05:34 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Super anecdotal, but when I lived in New Brunswick, my roommate went to Livingston High School. Two of his old HS friends got hooked on street drugs.

Randolph, rated lower, produced our class president.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:20 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Super anecdotal, but when I lived in New Brunswick, my roommate went to Livingston High School. Two of his old HS friends got hooked on street drugs.

Randolph, rated lower, produced our class president.
A whole two people huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey