Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 10:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

For the sichuan lovers, here is some Ma Po Tofu that I had with my vegan daughter at a Sichuan place in Albany.

It's really good. Also note the spicy string beans in the dish behind the ma po tofu.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:17 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
i have never had mapo tofu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 11:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The gloppy sauce is the part I hate!
You and me both, but--more than likely--most of the folks who are raving about their favorite "Chinese" food LOVE all of that gloppy sauce. Ergo... what they think is authentic Chinese food is anything but.

I really like those authentic Long Beans that you photographed. That is one of my favorite dishes.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You and me both, but--more than likely--most of the folks who are raving about their favorite "Chinese" food LOVE all of that gloppy sauce. Ergo... what they think is authentic Chinese food is anything but.

I really like those authentic Long Beans that you photographed. That is one of my favorite dishes.
My daughter might know how to make them. I'll ask her about that.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:14 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter might know how to make them. I'll ask her about that.
I have actually made them myself, when I was able to get Long Beans. I much prefer Long Beans to the green beans/string beans that you find in most supermarkets. Whenever I am finally able to get back to an Asian market, I look forward to being able to buy Long Beans again.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:13 PM

131 posts, read 137,567 times
Quote:
I have actually made them myself, when I was able to get Long Beans. I much prefer Long Beans to the green beans/string beans that you find in most supermarkets. Whenever I am finally able to get back to an Asian market, I look forward to being able to buy Long Beans again.
I've made them at home a few times too. The best batch was with some white long beans I got in Chinatown. Tried it with green beans and string beans but it wasn't as good.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, they use vegetables that aren't always accessible to us. There's one my dd loved when she lived in China. It was sort of spinach-like, but it had a long, thin, hollow stem, and the translation of its name is "empty green vegetable". Chinese seems to be very literal. Shanghai means city on the ocean. Beijing means the capital. Chengdu means used to be a capital. Rough translations here, of course.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
My parents used to love going to Soochow in Cliffside Park when we living in NJ.

There is another place called Hunan something in Totowa.

In Edison there was the King's Chef, but not sure if still there.

I have not eaten in Jersey for the longest time.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
There are some variation of mapo tofu since there are different regional interpretations of it. But to be authentic it has to have some spiciness to it or else why would it be called "ma-po" which stands for "spicy wife."

Mapo Tofu means "Spicy, wife Made Tofu."

It has to have sichuan peppercorns and cumin seeds. If all it has is just red chilli peppers and black pepper then it's not authentic. It must also use black bean sauce.

I've had Japanese, Korean, Cantonese, and even Taiwanese interpretations of it and they all have their different take.

For example Japanese always tasted sweeter as they used more more fermented soybean paste.

Koreans use extra-soft tofu and sweeter than the original as well.

The authentic sichuan mapo tofu actually calls for slightly firm tofu blocks not soft tofu.

Old 12-25-2020, 02:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Don't forget about loads of gloppy sauce, unlike authentic Chinese food. A friend, who used to own a Chinese restaurant, had to remind his chef that "Gweilo like a LOT of gloppy sauce".

I like to say that Chinese takeout is 50 different sauces over the same meats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey