Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 07:45 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times

Advertisements

Here is an example of an intersection in Montclair that is at grade (no overpass):

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8255...8192?entry=ttu

You'll see that the intersection has a gate with red signal and flashing lights. In addition to the train honking. There is a bell that rings once the gate goes down. So those houses really close to the intersection will hear the honking and bells periodically throughout the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
Here are some details about how communities can get a Quiet Zone waiver for the federal law on train honking. I used to live near a crossing where the township installed new gates and applied for the waiver. The waiver was granted but the locomotive engineer still has the discretion to honk the horn when they feel that safety is an issue. My experience was that the honking decreased once the Quiet Zone was implemented, but I still heard the train regularly, especially at night.

https://www.njtpa.org/NJTPA/media/Do...neBrochure.pdf

Old 03-01-2024, 09:39 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post
Here are some details about how communities can get a Quiet Zone waiver for the federal law on train honking. I used to live near a crossing where the township installed new gates and applied for the waiver. The waiver was granted but the locomotive engineer still has the discretion to honk the horn when they feel that safety is an issue. My experience was that the honking decreased once the Quiet Zone was implemented, but I still heard the train regularly, especially at night.

https://www.njtpa.org/NJTPA/media/Do...neBrochure.pdf
It would be better and safer for everyone if the community advocated the building of the overpass or underpass so that the crossing is no longer grade level and thus will automatically have no honking. There is always some risk with grade level crossing. It is just never safe for heavy trains to travel on the same exact level as much lighter cars and even lighter pedestrians. Building an overpass of course is expensive and takes longer but that is the only solution that works 100%. And I believe there is some federal/state funding available for eliminating grade level crossings.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I live about a ~2 miles from a train station and hear it in my house, especially the one that comes by at 2am. It's become background noise and you don't even notice it after a while.
We have lived about 0.6 miles from a station with grade level crossing for the last 12 years. We of course hear the train's horn but not the sounds of the gates being lowered. For us, it is a soothing background noise confirming that everything is well and people are traveling for work and leisure. The trains only stop during emergencies, like hurricanes, so I don't sleep as well when there are no train horns.

And the last passenger train for the day stops at our station at around 1:30 am. Occasionally, there is a freight train that passes our station literally in the middle of the night, like 4:00 am. Doesn't bother us at all, we sleep through the noise...

Old 03-12-2024, 07:28 AM

96 posts, read 116,399 times
I’m not in Montclair, but I have the NJT train in my backyard. This house had all new windows when I moved in, so that probably helped a ton. I’ve barely noticed the train in the several years I’ve been here. Occasionally when they’re working on the tracks, I hear it. And the diesel trains are rumbly. But it affects me 0%. The street cleaners and trash trucks wake me, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey