Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 11:27 AM

557 posts, read 378,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
I sort of understand what you are saying about growth and population gains...but living somewhere you like living should be more important.
Anyway, from 2000-2019 Paramus's population went up by a massive 2.1%, and Closter by 1.5%, barely any difference, and both minimal.
And hell, Tenafly real estate was basically flat from 2006-2019.
I'm glad you see value in home appreciation/population gains but keep in mind the resident population Paramus is 30K. Closter is 10K. The day time population in Paramus can swell to a quarter of a million or higher.

So you can't compare a town with incredible demand, and importance to a town in the middle of nowhere with 1 renovated plaza.

Yes all real estate in NJ was flat from 2009-2019. We had the 2005-2008 bubble. But this is about the future. Paramus is booming.

As a south asian who commutes the dude would love Paramus.

I'm not trying to shift your POV to mine Tubulus but hoping the OP makes an informed decision, and lives with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 AM

332 posts, read 523,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
I'm glad you see value in home appreciation/population gains but keep in mind the resident population Paramus is 30K. Closter is 10K. The day time population in Paramus can swell to a quarter of a million or higher.

So you can't compare a town with incredible demand, and importance to a town in the middle of nowhere with 1 renovated plaza.

Yes all real estate in NJ was flat from 2009-2019. We had the 2005-2008 bubble. But this is about the future. Paramus is booming.

As a south asian who commutes the dude would love Paramus.

I'm not trying to shift your POV to mine Tubulus but hoping the OP makes an informed decision, and lives with it.
Yeah I bought 5 years ago and I'm probably flat now due to the Covid run-up. But I would really not like living in a town with a daytime population of 250k! I moved out of NYC for a reason.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
What is the obsession with Paramus? Not everyone wants to live somewhere that dense/busy?

Old 09-17-2021, 02:50 PM

21 posts, read 10,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
What is the obsession with Paramus? Not everyone wants to live somewhere that dense/busy?
If your just within the town your likely not dealing with the masses as you can easily time your shopping. The more important things are in town activities. If you live in Paramus and need to go to Whole Foods or Target there are times when the stores are less crowded. Also you won’t find Trader Joe’s In Closter but there is one in Westwood.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
My wife and I are expecting our first child and need more space, so we’ve narrowed our search down to these two towns. I like these towns because they seem allow me to get to work very quickly across the Tappan Zee/Governor Mario Cuomo bridge - I work mostly in Bronxville, NY, and occasionally I need to cross the George Washington Bridge to my other location in Washington Heights. We’ve been to both towns several times mostly to shop at the Wegmans and Whole Foods, on our way up to our apartment in Stamford, CT, from my dad’s house in the Princeton, NJ area (where I grew up). So while I’m an NJ-er, I know Mercer County but not Bergen County and would appreciate the insights here. We believe our $1M budget will go much further in Bergen County than Westchester/Fairfield counties where home prices (and taxes in Westchester) are relatively out of control.

-As far as I can tell, both towns are upscale - but is is there any significant difference in the type of people who live in either? We’re both South Asian (culturally American/Canadian) and would appreciate knowing that there are some similar minorities in the school district.
-How is the commute to the Tappan Zee Bridge from both? From Montvale, I see you can go to 287 or the Palisades Parkway North through Rockland County. Whereas from Closter you have to approach the Palisades Parkway North via Closter Dock road. How fast or backed up is Closter Dock Road in the mornings/evenings?
-It looks like getting to the GSP form the Tappan Zee Bridge to go to back to Montvale in the evening would take a significantly longer time than making it down to Closter, give the traffic that builds up on 287 South on the way to the GSP.
-Am I right in correct in assuming getting to the GWB will be much faster in the morning from Closter via the Palisades Parkway North than from Montvale via the GSP?
-Is it possible to build new in either town with a $1M budget?
-Am I correct in feeling that Montvale is a little more “open” and easy to drive around than Closter, where the streets feel tighter?
-Which town is easier to get to Central NJ from?
-Which town would you choose, why, and are there others you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
I think tarrytown is a better option for you. I'm asian and went to the whole foods and almost got run over in closter and tye lady made a racist gesture like twice this happened. Montvale is upscale but has some racist people also. Anyway tarrytown is a better choice

Old 02-02-2024, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 600 times
Edgewater sounds ok

Old 02-02-2024, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 600 times
Percentage of home appreciation doesn't mean much it could means it overvalued. Asan asian jersey over westchester but the schools are better in westchester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey